Travel - Washington DC

cyclones122

Oct 3, 2009
Arlington, VA
And if you use the Metro, make sure you stand on the right side in the escalators at Metro station. I witnessed a woman yelling at a tourist standing in the left side at escalator.

Yes, 100% agree with this.

Also, I recommend avoiding metro during rush hour (7:30-9:30 AM, 5:00-7:00 PM) - especially if you have a family and/or a stroller. Museums don't open until 10:00 AM anyways. It will be packed with people trying to get to/from work and the trains are crammed full. This also tends to be when the DC crowd is at its most unfriendly!

Reactions: 52342cyclone

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
Yes, 100% agree with this.

Also, I recommend avoiding metro during rush hour (7:30-9:30 AM, 5:00-7:00 PM) - especially if you have a family and/or a stroller. Museums don't open until 10:00 AM anyways. It will be packed with people trying to get to/from work and the trains are crammed full. This also tends to be when the DC crowd is at its most unfriendly!

It’s also cheaper to travel later in the morning

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
The one in McLean is never all that busy.
Did someone say McLean?

\
phil_hartman_clinton.jpg

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I echo what's been said by others. A few that I haven't seen:

A) My favorite spot on the Mall was the World War II Memorial at night. From that spot you can basically see everything, and the lighting and water features at night are awesome.

B) Try Ben's Chili Bowl. It's touristy, sure, but you gotta do it. If you go to the one on U Street you may think about going during the day...

C) Chinatown was one of my favorite areas. So much good food...

D) Check out the Eastern Market. Right back Capitol Hill with all kinds of vendors.

E) Georgetown never did much for me. Was out of the way of the Metro and is full of high-end type places. You're better off going to Adams Morgan or Dupont Circle for bars/restaurants.

becrisgreg

Apr 11, 2006
Omaha
A lot of great suggestions. One I'll add to the list:
The Marine Corps sunset parade at the USMC War Memorial aka Iwo Jima Monument. I believe it is every Tuesday in the summer. Looking at the website it looks like the Memorial is under renovations, so this year they are at the Lincoln Monument.

Tuesday Sunset Parades will be held at the Lincoln Memorial along the National Mall in Washington D.C. for the summer of 2019 with the exception of those on June 25th, July 2nd, and July 9th. Stay tuned for the location of those parades.

The Sunset Parades are conducted on Tuesdays beginning June 11 through Aug. 13, 2019 and the start time will be the same as previous years, 7:00 pm.

**The Sunset Parades on Aug. 6 and 13 begin 30 minutes earlier.**

A one hour performance, the Sunset Parade features the music of "The Commandant's Own", The United States Marine Drum and Bugle Corps and precision drill by the Marine Corps Silent Drill Platoon.

The Sunset Parade is open to the public at no charge. Reservations are not necessary. The spacious steps on the Lincoln Memorial and surrounding lawns provide ample room for guests to bring lawn chairs for an informal viewing. No other type of seating is available, except for invited guests of the Parade Reviewing Officials.

A similar event is also held on Friday's at the Marine Barracks @ 8th and I.

A one hour and fifteen minute performance of music and precision marching, the Evening Parade features "The President's Own" United States Marine Band, "The Commandant's Own" The United States Marine Drum and Bugle Corps, the Marine Corps Color Guard, the Marine Corps Silent Drill Platoon, Ceremonial Marchers, and Cpl. Chesty XV, the official mascot of Marine Barracks Washington.

The ceremony starts at 8:45 p.m., beginning with a concert by the United States Marine Band. The Evening Parade, held every Friday evening during the summer, has become a universal symbol of the professionalism, discipline, and Esprit de Corps of the United States Marines

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Great suggestions, only missing one spot that I always try and find some time to drop in at, The Phillips Collection. This museum is home to the world's greatest painting, Renoir's Luncheon of the Boating Party. Maybe not for everybody but I absolutely love impressionist paintings.

After reading all of the posts here I totally want to buzz out there this fall.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I don't care what that article says, if you stand on the Rosslyn Station escalator and I'm walking up it, I'll beat you to the top by at least a minute.
You are missing the point...

The 75% of users who don't walk up are constrained to one half of the capacity of the escalator (just the right side) so the 25% of users who do walk can take up the other 50% of capacity (the left side). People who are waiting to get on could get on quicker if the escalator was able to pack both sides of every step full. Individuals may be able to get to the top quicker, but when you look at the average user, they are slowed because a good portion of the capacity is under utilized.

For the record, I am a walker, not a stander. If in a hurry, I politely ask to move by rather than expecting it or yelling at people.

Last edited:

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I'm talking about when there's moderate traffic, so normal lanes are going 50. Then there's this jackwagon going 50 in the HOV lane when nobody is in front of him.
When I lived on the east coast I can't recall a lot of 50 MPH driving in moderate traffic.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
Are they letting people go to the top of the Washington Monument yet after that earthquake several years ago? I went to DC for a school trip in 2008 and got to do it and it was pretty cool. Got to get a tour of the White House, which was delayed for 45 minutes because W was leaving and was walking out of the White House right where we were about to walk for our tour. Was pretty cool to see Marine One take off on the other side of the trees though. We got to visit the Holocaust Museum, which was very powerful as we were in the middle of the Holocaust unit in school at the same time as the trip. I definitely recommend a visit there. We visited Mount Vernon and also made a trip out to Monticello. Arlington National Cemetery is also a good stop.

canker2323

Oct 22, 2006
What Cheer, IA
I moved to DC recently.

The suggestions here are good. DC proper is pretty small and easy to get around.

There are always protests in front of white house.

Train is easy to use. Red line has some crazy long escalators.

Go to Navy yards then take a ferry to Alexandria. Alexandria has a nice old downtown.

If you are willing to drive some (~45 minutes), the US Naval Academy in Annapolis is interesting.

China town isn't much. Don't expect anything like you see in NYC/SF/Chicago.

Georgetown is very ritzy and a cluster f*ck on the weekends.

Good restaurants on 14th.

Ford's Theater is on 10th. Easy to get to.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron