Transfers out of the program and the problems.

jahoney

Sep 7, 2012
I don't know if there is a list of women who have transferred from the program or have left early over the since 2010 - 2011 which is about the time the women's program has started to take a dive and has had attendance starting to drop. These are the players that I could remember. A lot of these have hurt the program. Is it the coaching, the players not fitting, a combination of them all. At one time women's basketball at ISU either broke even or made a little money. Now with the stagnation of the program they lose money. A lot of these players could have helped us. Is the program at the point where it is a lost cause or do we have one more shot this next year to catch lighting in a bottle.
Bride Kennedy-Hopoate 2018 transfeer - Don't know what to make of this one yet
Sofija Zivaljevic 2017 transfeer - Not getting play time. I can understand this especially for a highly rated European recruit.
Tee-Tee Starks 2017 transfer- Have heard several rumors why she transferred, but none of them are good if it is true. Losing her hurt us this year.
Jadda Buckley forgoing her last year of playing. This one killed us this year.
Bry Fernstroming 2016 transfer - She transferred in the middle of the season which really hurt us. She is getting 20-30 minutes a game at Minnesota is what I have heard.
Nakiah Bell 2015 transfer - No real reason stated, but she would have helped us a great deal.
Blaire Thomas 2015 transfer - no playing time. I can understand this.
Kaleah Mays transferred - bad fit for the program.
Jessica Schrolls transfered - Getting torn apart in front of 7,000 plus fans - that is the main cause.
Kelsey Harris transfer - Can't remember what I heard.
Whitney Williams - transferred to TCU and had a very nice career there.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 person

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
The women's basketball team has never made money.

About Bill. There was no program when he got here. This is his baby. Playing for him isn't for every one. But he is also a different guy off the court than on.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006

About Bill. There was no program when he got here. This is his baby. Playing for him isn't for every one. But he is also a different guy off the court than on.

Somewhat agree. However, He is responsible for making his baby look good to everyone and it's not happening. Then again I dont' watch womens basketball so my opinion really does not count. However, if he does something stupid to embarrass the university. Something needs to be done.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
He's a coach with a very definite style, which outside looking in seems to be intense, but with fierce loyalty to his players on the other side of the equation. That probably isn't for everyone, and that style probably also seems easier to handle when you're winning.

So I guess I don't see a problem with kids wanting out every once in a while. They do that now under the best of circumstances.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
He's a coach with a very definite style, which outside looking in seems to be intense, but with fierce loyalty to his players on the other side of the equation. That probably isn't for everyone, and that style probably also seems easier to handle when you're winning.

So I guess I don't see a problem with kids wanting out every once in a while. They do that now under the best of circumstances.

He's LE without the brief flameout of success and the drinking. He's had some rage issues which have been publically addressed after his cancer bout.

All we ask is to be a good ambassador for the university and devote yourself to those under your charge in the program and provide them positive opportunities for growth athletically and personally.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
This gets debated ad nauseam every time a player (mostly of little consequence) transfers. In the last several years the only player that transferred/left that we know had an impact was Jadda. After her history of injuries I don’t blame her. Whit was a serviceable guard and that’s about it. Fernstrom - she ended up as a bench player of little consequence. Painting all of them with the fiery Bill is Larry Eustachy brush is ridiculous. Of the entire list only Jess was probably a result of that. Are you ignoring all the other players that swear by Fennelly or are you conveniently forgetting that? Transfers are a reality in today’s college sports. Much different that a decade ago. There is no story here.

SerenityNow

Dec 4, 2009
Central Iowa
This is always a bigger story when we're losing. With our recruiting class coming in, if we're losing in 2 years and are having key players transfer out, then I might change my stance. Until then, though I'm not a fan of Bill's style, he has my support.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Here's my hope, CBF hangs it up after next season and Jennie Baranczyk from Drake takes his place.

About as likely as Geno leaving UCONN to come here. ;)

Regardless of your opinion on Fennelly he's going to be here another 5 years minimum. Even discussing it is like the third rail of ISU sports. Nothing is changing barring a total program collapse and a mass exodus of players and I don't see that happening.

We are probably back to at least getting to NCAA's next year, or should. A lot will depend on Joens (5-star freshman) and Middleton (a one year 5-star who has not lived up to potential yet). After that, who knows, we aren't going to challenge Baylor or Texas in the conference but he may or may not have another NCAA Sweet Sixteen in him. I am guessing not but that really doesn't matter much as far as his tenure.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Interesting read on Women's Basketball Transfers...

http://womenshoopsworld.com/2017/05...ge-basketball-transfers-numerous-and-complex/

Overall 4 year college transfer average is right at 10%. We've had 15 since 2010, which is about 3 transfers above the norm if you take 10% times the 15 players (1.5 per year) times 8 years...12 transfers. To me that isn't enough to be statistically relevant...but the math guys here can sound off if needed.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Interesting read on Women's Basketball Transfers...

http://womenshoopsworld.com/2017/05...ge-basketball-transfers-numerous-and-complex/

Overall 4 year college transfer average is right at 10%. We've had 15 since 2010, which is about 3 transfers above the norm if you take 10% times the 15 players (1.5 per year) times 8 years...12 transfers. To me that isn't enough to be statistically relevant...but the math guys here can sound off if needed.

That's not quite what this report is saying, if I'm interpreting it correctly (and it took a little work to figure it out). What this is actually saying is that 10% of current Div I WBB players transferred from another Div I school. Since a player could spend up to four years at their new school (including medical redshirts, etc) the Div I to Div I transfer rate is probably less than half of this. BUT this is only Div I -> Div I. Most of the transfers on the ISU list above did not go to another Div I school.

Long story short, I'm not sure what the actual average transfer rate is.

• Informative
Reactions: aobie

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Who the **** are any of you to criticize? Especially the one who doesn't even follow or support the program? JFC you all think a lot of yourselves.

Many of us are grads of ISU and are interested in how our university is represented on the grand scene.

I don't think it matters whether you follow football, women's basketball or the sociology department - we want our university to be seen in the best light possible.

I have no clue if BF is an issue or "society" is but the stories have been consistent on his techniques which may or may not work, and may or may not be appropriate in this age.

• Disagree
Reactions: Jnecker4cy

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames

About Bill. There was no program when he got here. This is his baby. Playing for him isn't for every one. But he is also a different guy off the court

Wish he was the same.

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa
www.facebook.com
can someone clarify what "the Iowa State Way" means? I guess I've always interpreted this to mean Christians and no lesbians, but that might be way off.

I think it means that we are going to work hard and represent ISU in the upmost fashion. BF wants his team to understand that it's a privilege to play for ISU and play the game in general. He's always talking about (and stories have verified this) how our team listens to the safety announcement on the airplane or thanks the bus driver when they arrive somewhere etc.

It's just too bad that BF sometimes forgets that he also has the privilege to coach here and the things he says and does also represent ISU.

I don't believe it has to do with what you're thinking as that would border on discrimination

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
That's not quite what this report is saying, if I'm interpreting it correctly (and it took a little work to figure it out). What this is actually saying is that 10% of current Div I WBB players transferred from another Div I school. Since a player could spend up to four years at their new school (including medical redshirts, etc) the Div I to Div I transfer rate is probably less than half of this. BUT this is only Div I -> Div I. Most of the transfers on the ISU list above did not go to another Div I school.

Long story short, I'm not sure what the actual average transfer rate is.
Mred, yeah, the chart labels are not clearly stated, but I still get the rough 10% rate as an average. Interesting that a good part of the article also dealt with "toning the coaching down" as one of the transfer reasons...kids today are not the same as kids 20 years ago.

Reactions: Cyclonic1