Transfers in college basketball

• Thread starter Deleted member 8507
  • Start date
  • After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
The w-l results speak for themselves and the transfer route is perfectly fine with me - like Coach said, the transfer market is not going away. there are some advantages I'm a little envious about; this year, we are in scramble mode to fill a couple roster positions. It would be nice to have a full roster defined so the players know what to expect and can work on their respective roles, I just wouldn't want a roster of Iowa's role players.
Before Monte, Fred had three years in a row where we started the season with a new PG; it turned out ok, but it is nice having continuity and predictability so player and coach can focus on game day strategies..

"....
McCaffery has taken only one Division I transfer in his seven years as the Iowa head coach: Jarrod Uthoff, who arrived from Wisconsin and ended up becoming an All-American in 2015-16. McCaffery did have another transfer, Bryce Cartwright, on his first two Iowa teams but Cartwright arrived from Fresno State nearly a year before McCaffery got to Iowa.

Iowa State over the same time period has brought in 19 transfers. Prohm has collected four — Nebraska’s Michael Jacobson, Virginia’s Marial Shayok, Princeton’s Hans Brase and Texas-San Antonio’s Jeff Beverly — just within the past few months..."

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Which way has worked better?

Last 7 years at Iowa:
3 NCAA tournaments*
2 NCAA tournament wins
0 Sweet 16's
0 Big 10 Championships
*one was a play-in game loss. So, technically they have been in the tourney only twice since Fran took over.

Last 7 years at ISU:
6 consecutive NCAA tournaments
7 NCAA tournament wins
2 Sweet 16's
3 Big 12 Tournament Championships

ISU also owns a 5-2 advantage in the Cy-Hawk basketball game during that time frame.
Hopefully Fran stays at Iowa for many more years.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
You gotta love Franny saying the grad transfer rule is the worst thing ever. Seriously Franny? Yeah, the worst thing about college basketball is the fact that kids are graduating, and then are allowed to do what they feel is best for their career at that point. Meanwhile, Franny is allowed to not live up to his commitment (contract), and can leave his players high and dry whenever he wants to when a better deal comes along for him.

I've never understood him complaining about other schools using every avenue legally available to them to improve their roster? Isn't that what your'e supposed to do? If you aren't doing that, you are at a disadvantage.

And.... how about the fact that the best player BY FAR that Franny has ever had at Iowa so far was a transfer. So he whines and complains about the very thing that allowed him to even make the NCAA Tourney at all most likely, because without Uthoff Franny would have hardly anything to show for his time at Iowa thus far, and likely would have been fired by now.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I understand that one of the worst things about this is its impact on mid-majors - I just don't give a hoot about how successful mid-major programs are. Not one.

Plus, mid-majors have begun filling gaps of some of their outgoing transfers by raiding small-conference teams, a I assume those schools use juco route to fill those slots, so impact is arguable.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I understand that one of the worst things about this is its impact on mid-majors - I just don't give a hoot about how successful mid-major programs are. Not one.

Well, Iowa kinda is a mid-major in basketball, right? So maybe Franny has a point afterall?

• Funny
Reactions: dmh

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I am totally fine with a kid seeking a better situation. Normally it helps out both ways. Btw non athlete students transfer a lot also. I did. Found a better situation.

• Agree
Reactions: dmh and clonedude

allfourcy

Apr 26, 2012

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I'll at least give Fran some credit in that he is not an ass-hole (Snyder, KSU) when someone transfers OUT of Iowa. If he does not want to participate in the recruiting of transfers, fine, as long as he respects the rules and the interests of the students which he kinda does in spite of his worries about the "collateral damage" of the graduate transfer rule. To be fair to old Mad Fran, our own AD has expressed his own displeasure with this rule. It is interesting that the one Iowa star example, Uthoff, was a bit of a firestorm with Bo Ryan initially going almost full Snyder in blocking him from 26 schools (including ISU).

Surprisingly no mention in the article of how coaches leaving impact all of this. They leave all of the time for better opportunities (or get big buyouts when they get fired). Every time coaches change it impacts players who are committed at both schools and also disrupts the recruiting continuity at both schools. So much for what I think is Fran's dream vision of coaches at a school for 20 years and everyone starting and finishing at the same school in 4-5 years.

For the record, I get some of the critics on the graduate transfer rule. They have some points I don't totally disagree with but it's the one rule that give the student some of the freedom allowed to all of the overpaid coaches. On one hand some of these coaches want to talk sanctity of the amateur athlete system while on the other hand fully embracing the big business model that pays them ******* millions. Kinda hypocritical in my view.

Fran's World
D2kWUm3.gif

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: GTO and Tornado man

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Something tells me I don't want to read this article. So I won't. I will ask, however, does it discuss all the transfers at KU and other places? Or is it just using ISU as its target?

I don't think they really paint the picture like what ISU does is wrong, more just that Franny doesn't like the idea of transfers or grad transfers. He would rather have it be that kids are stuck for 4-5 years at whatever school they sign with out of high school, whether they are miserable or not, or have already graduated even.

As someone else said, Franny considers them athlete-students, not student-athletes. They are at school to serve their head coaches, not do what is in their own best interest for them personally. But if Fran decides it's in his best interest to leave Iowa, and his players, for greener pastures for his own best interest, that's ok.

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
"Certainly we share your frustration, disappointment and even anger about the transfers in our men's and now even our women's basketball programs (women have now lost all four of their recruits from last year despite having Elite 8 and Sweet 16 teams). I can assure you both Coach McDermott and Coach Fennelly are concerned and trying to figure out how best to combat it. Part of Coach McDermott having two coaching vacancies is a direct result of his wanting to try and address the issue.

However, it also helps to keep our transfers in perspective. My peers and I continually discuss the epidemic around the country in the sport of basketball. In the past two years over 500 men's basketball players have transferred from a Division I team to another program. That number is absolutely amazing. Unfortunately if a kid's world is not absolutely perfect (in their mind), they run from the problem rather than deal with it. Makes you wonder if it is the first signs of our society's change in our early education program (no longer give kids grades - everybody passes;
can't keep score, everybody has to win; if you do not like something, have mom or dad complain on your behalf). Personally I wonder how that generation is going to survive in the real world when mom or dad or AAU coach are not there for them during their first job interview or first job evaluation. The bottom line is life is not a video game, you can't just hit reset if you do not like your initial score."

Jamie Pollard---Athletic Director, Iowa State University.

http://www.thegazette.com/2010/04/1...-addresses-cyclone-basketballs-transfer-mania

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Which way has worked better?

Last 7 years at Iowa:
3 NCAA tournaments*
2 NCAA tournament wins
0 Sweet 16's
0 Big 10 Championships
*one was a play-in game loss. So, technically they have been in the tourney only twice since Fran took over.

Last 7 years at ISU:
6 consecutive NCAA tournaments
7 NCAA tournament wins
2 Sweet 16's
3 Big 12 Tournament Championships

ISU also owns a 5-2 advantage in the Cy-Hawk basketball game during that time frame.
Hopefully Fran stays at Iowa for many more years.
It's not just us either. Look at the success Oregon and Gonzaga have had with transfers. Then you look at schools like Duke and Kansas which are taking transfers now. If Franny doesn't want to adjust to the times, then that's just fine with me.