Transfer Portal in wrestling

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
if that’s the case how is Michigan in the mix for all these transfers? They don’t scream elite to me they scream underperform.
Michigan was 5th this year. Yes it was an underperformance, but that just shows how good they are. ISU can only dream of a performance as good a Michigan’s bad tournament.

• Informative
Reactions: cyputz

DantheFan

Feb 10, 2010
Michigan was 5th this year. Yes it was an underperformance, but that just shows how good they are. ISU can only dream of a performance as good a Michigan’s bad tournament.

Michigan is definitely a great program and a good school. I can see the draw.
They've been sitting in the top 10 for the last several years and they keep building and pushing for the top.

That said, I think we're currently on a similar trajectory since Dresser came in.

2010, Michigan finished 38th. They brought in Sean Bormet and Donny Pritzlaff 2011 and it's been nothing but up since then. Pritzlaff left for Rutgers, but their staff is filled with solid Michigan guys who seem pretty dedicated to the program in Bormet, Churella, Russell, and Bolyard (former East Michigan HC)

To me, it seems like ISU could be a perennial top 10 school in the very near future. We've got some great guys in the room now and with guys like Knoppick, Paniro, Schon, Swiderski and Rojas coming in things look pretty dang good to me. The staff will definitely need to keep the recruits flowing though.

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
Why would Gomez enter the transfer portal??
Not sure he would ever be cleared by the Iowa State medical staff to compete again. With his concussion history, I'm guessing it is pretty dangerous for him to keep wrestling..

• Agree
Reactions: jkbuff98

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Why would Gomez enter the transfer portal??
He’s not going back to 33, unlikely to beat Ian, he’s already sat for pretty much two years and the ISU staff won’t clear him to wrestle because of concussions.

cywr89

May 14, 2009
I feel like this isn't talked about enough. B12 vs B10 wrestling is no comparison.
That what happens when one conference requires the sports and the other conference makes it optional. Not much to talk about unless the Big 12 makes wrestling a requirement to be in the conference which isn’t happening anytime soon.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
That what happens when one conference requires the sports and the other conference makes it optional. Not much to talk about unless the Big 12 makes wrestling a requirement to be in the conference which isn’t happening anytime soon.
Then big 10 should make football a requirement too.

tenor.gif

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
I meant talk about the effects on recruiting.

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
My take on Gomez is quite simple: He's out grown 133. Can't beat Parker (and probably doesn't want to take his spot). Can't afford to lose another year. This all equals transferring. I wish him the best and hope he finishes 2nd next year behind Ian. Best of luck Austin and I'll be rooting for your health & success.

Last edited:

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
He’s not going back to 33, unlikely to beat Ian, he’s already sat for pretty much two years and the ISU staff won’t clear him to wrestle because of concussions.
As I stated above I agree with everything except getting cleared. IF one school doesn't clear someone and another does that just seams like a recipe for disaster for the school that turns a blind eye. For those that think he want's to go Big 10 just because the conference is better I think that's silly too. It's not like in a normal year that we won't be wrestling the top Big 10 & Big 12 schools in wrestling. Plus the tourneys like CKLV, Southern Scuffle, Midlands, etc also give every wrestler the chance at top competition..

DrizzyCyclone

Apr 7, 2013
Heard on Flo’s podcast that Gary Traub is will decide this week where he will transfer to. Considering these 5 schools:
Indiana
Oregon State
Pitt
Purdue, and......
Iowa State

Also heard on Flo’s podcast that Andrew McNally will transfer from Kent State to one of these four schools:
Oklahoma State
Wisconsin
Pitt, and......
Iowa State

Reactions: stuclone

DrizzyCyclone

Apr 7, 2013
Illinois, Wisconsin, UNI, Wyoming, Oklahoma State, and Oklahoma have reached out to Austin Gomez since he has entered the transfer portal. Gomez provided that info to one of the Flo guys.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
Heard on Flo’s podcast that Gary Traub is will decide this week where he will transfer to. Considering these 5 schools:
Indiana
Oregon State
Pitt
Purdue, and......
Iowa State

Also heard on Flo’s podcast that Andrew McNally will transfer from Kent State to one of these four schools:
Oklahoma State
Wisconsin
Pitt, and......
Iowa State
Traub might have the bigger name here, but McNally would fit in really nice also. 174, 2021 R12, 3xNQ. Let him, Broderson and Colbray fight it out for 174/184.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron