Transfer Portal in wrestling

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

DantheFan

Feb 10, 2010
To the point of culture. This staff seems to put a premium on guys who will buy into their prescribed culture, and rightly so. If an athlete isn't the right fit they'll part ways, even if they're AA caliber (See Kanen Storr)

I'm sure our staff is always looking for guys who are the right fit to help the program, regardless of them being a new recruit or transfer.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Griffith and/or Wick will be really hard to land. Wick isn’t in the transfer portal, so not sure if anything is happening there

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Gage CurryRedshirt Sr125March 25American
Billy HigginsRedshirt Soph165March 25Northern Colorado
Chase SingletaryRedshirt Jr197/285March 25Ohio State

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Gage CurryRedshirt Sr125March 25American
Billy HigginsRedshirt Soph165March 25Northern Colorado
Chase SingletaryRedshirt Jr197/285March 25Ohio State
Billy is transferring? Soph? He is like 22/23 or so. His dad keeps things interesting.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I was told that is not true
53lsch.jpg

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
Just saw on FB that Griffith chose Penn State - can’t find an outside verification though -

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Honestly outside of Willie, Degen, Aaron Holker and Kevin Jackson I can't think of many transfers including Juco's that have made a big impact for us. Here are some off the top of my head.
Duke Burk - Came from N. Illinois as a R12 guy, i don't think he even made the R12 in his 2 years here.
Nate Carr Jr - Came from Iowa Central (JUCO), i think injuries played a part in him not doing as well in his few years.
Chris Drouin - Came from Arizona State as a former AA, I think he qualified for the NCAA tourney with us,
Matt Gibson - Was at a Juco in California, he ended up AA'ing his senior year
Phil Hawes - Came from JUCO, not sure if he even hit the mat for us.
Patrick Hunter - Came from JUCO. didn't do much for us
John Nicholson - Transfer from ODU, never made NCAA's at ISU, but qualified 2 times at ODU.
Earl Hall - Kinda a transfer came from OTC 2xAA
Pat Downey - Transfer from JUCO, We all know this story, 1 x AA at ISU
Danny Bush - Transfer from IA Central (JUCO), won a few matches for us
Skylar St. John - Transfer from Iowa, injuries cut his time here short
Todd Small - Transfer from JUCO, qualified for NCAA's

I may have missed some older transfers, but this is recently. So we've had a few guys that contributed, but nothing earth shattering. Not saying we shouldn't look at transfers, just saying a transfer probably isn't going to majorly change our program (unless we got like a Woods, Griffith or Wick type of guy). So i think what Dresser and Co are doing is what we need to do, get some freshman and develop them.
Chris Taylor

ST8TAILG8R

Jul 10, 2017
Well, at least it's absolutely clear now that we NEED transfers to keep up!!! How clear? Crystal...

cywr89

May 14, 2009
Well, at least it's absolutely clear now that we NEED transfers to keep up!!! How clear? Crystal...
You do realize this was an April fools day joke...right? He may end up there but hasn’t made any commitment.

• Agree
Reactions: buf87

ST8TAILG8R

Jul 10, 2017
You do realize this was an April fools day joke...right? He may end up there but hasn’t made any commitment.
I did not reply to any comment in particular because I was not replying to any comment in particular.

I was just making the point that not only should we go after transfers, we NEED to go after transfer to catch/keep up.

Reactions: Boxer007