Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Iowa did what they needed to do last night, but they will need better shooting going forward especially from the FT line and 3.

• Optimistic
Reactions: CyPunch

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
We'll learn a lot about Iowa next week. Duke/ISU/Wisconsin. 2 of the 3 at home and a neutral site game.

Duke is more finesse than they have been in the past, so I give Iowa a fighting chance in that one. Iowa is a more put together team right now in the season as they know who they are and they will be able to take advantage of a Duke team that is still figuring out roles. Duke has the athleticism advantage at nearly every position, but will it be enough?

ISU/Iowa will be a street fight. I fully expect Iowa to come prepared and motivated for that one. If they can rebound like they did against Georgia Tech, hit a few outside shots, and have the game called with a quick whistle the way Fran likes it, Iowa wins. If it's a physical game, big advantage ISU. Fascinating game.

Wisconsin and ISU are pretty similar. Will Iowa have enough in the tank at the end of the week to handle another physical slugfest? This game being at home is definitely helpful. Wisconsin seems to have figured out roles and who they are early in the season, which neutralizes an advantage Iowa typically has in November/December.

I honestly think Duke is the most winnable game next week, then ISU, then Wisconsin.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
We'll learn a lot about Iowa next week. Duke/ISU/Wisconsin. 2 of the 3 at home and a neutral site game.

Duke is more finesse than they have been in the past, so I give Iowa a fighting chance in that one. Iowa is a more put together team right now in the season as they know who they are and they will be able to take advantage of a Duke team that is still figuring out roles. Duke has the athleticism advantage at nearly every position, but will it be enough?

ISU/Iowa will be a street fight. I fully expect Iowa to come prepared and motivated for that one. If they can rebound like they did against Georgia Tech, hit a few outside shots, and have the game called with a quick whistle the way Fran likes it, Iowa wins. If it's a physical game, big advantage ISU. Fascinating game.

Wisconsin and ISU are pretty similar. Will Iowa have enough in the tank at the end of the week to handle another physical slugfest? This game being at home is definitely helpful. Wisconsin seems to have figured out roles and who they are early in the season, which neutralizes an advantage Iowa typically has in November/December.

I honestly think Duke is the most winnable game next week, then ISU, then Wisconsin.
The Iowa team I've witnessed so far this year isn't any different than last year's IMO. I still don't think Kris' ceiling is high as Keegan's, regardless of what he did last night. I think we found out enough about Iowa in the TCU game last week, where they lost pretty convincingly to a team that doesn't even have all its pieces yet. Iowa State plays a lot like TCU. Iowa will struggle to beat us unless they're shooting red hot. Tony Perkins might get ejected.

Reactions: exCYtable

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
The Iowa team I've witnessed so far this year isn't any different than last year's IMO. I still don't think Kris' ceiling is high as Keegan's, regardless of what he did last night. I think we found out enough about Iowa in the TCU game last week, where they lost pretty convincingly to a team that doesn't even have all its pieces yet. Iowa State plays a lot like TCU. Iowa will struggle to beat us unless they're shooting red hot. Tony Perkins might get ejected.

Once again good defense and good guard play will bury the Hawks. Move the ball and open up the driving lanes and make the game a layup drill. Iowa's only defense is poor three point shooting.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Connor outscored his little brother...and out rebounded him by 7.
Again remind me why Kris didn’t start/play more last year.
Yeah, the fact that you had both Murrays on the same team at the same point in time and didn't play them more together is mind boggling. Fran really should answer for that.

Connor is giving some good tape to future opponents that they might have to start guarding him at the 3 point line now. Has his shot improved? Probably. But there is no way in hell he is capable of keeping it up at the pace he is currently on.

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa

Exactly. Iowa rebounded fairly well last night too. We need to do a much better job getting defensive rebounds than we did against UConn. Iowa is going to try to live at the line too. We can't put them in the bonus 5 minutes into the game. They'll make their free throws and stay in the game that way. Iowa's offense in these types of games is to try to drive the ball and then flail around hoping to get a foul called.

If we can play our game without having a ton of fouls, Iowa will turn it over a bunch and we will win pretty comfortably in my opinion. Getting half our team in deep foul trouble during the first half is a recipe for disaster though.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Exactly. Iowa rebounded fairly well last night too. We need to do a much better job getting defensive rebounds than we did against UConn. Iowa is going to try to live at the line too. We can't put them in the bonus 5 minutes into the game. They'll make their free throws and stay in the game that way. Iowa's offense in these types of games is to try to drive the ball and then flail around hoping to get a foul called.

If we can play our game without having a ton of fouls, Iowa will turn it over a bunch and we will win pretty comfortably in my opinion. Getting half our team in deep foul trouble during the first half is a recipe for disaster though.
We absolutely need to avoid foul trouble. We were doomed from pretty early on in the UCONN game due to a bunch of silly cheap fouls being called. Not saying they were bad calls, but our guys didn't adjust quickly enough to the style of officiating that night.

Not too concerned about Iowa rebounding well last night. Without knowing a thing about Ga Tech, I can see Kris had almost half their rebounds in a herculean type of effort. They have not been a very good rebounding team in general this year.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Yeah, the fact that you had both Murrays on the same team at the same point in time and didn't play them more together is mind boggling. Fran really should answer for that.

Connor is giving some good tape to future opponents that they might have to start guarding him at the 3 point line now. Has his shot improved? Probably. But there is no way in hell he is capable of keeping it up at the pace he is currently on.

Fran intentionally slow playing Kris is flat out gross and I'm surprised it doesn't get talked about more. Iowa fans need to stop crediting Fran for Garza and the Murrays, the majority of their development has not taken place in Iowa City.

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006

That approach was patented by Aaron White. Hawk legend but he had one of the ugliest games you’ll ever find. He must have set the Big 10 record for FT attempts by flailing.

• Agree
Reactions: trevn and Acylum

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby

Connor is 24+...A man among boys.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
P-Mac will be 23 in March and still has a year to play. Kris Murray is 22 this year and still has another year to play.
I could be wrong, and especially wouldn't expect Murray to go this route, but believe they both have 2 years remaining after this one, if they wanted it, with the covid year. Fully expect Patrick to be around for both years.

• Agree
  • Haha
Reactions: Rural and Acylum

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
I could be wrong, and especially wouldn't expect Murray to go this route, but believe they both have 2 years remaining after this one, if they wanted it, with the covid year. Fully expect Patrick to be around for both years.
P-Mac (March of 2000) took his redshirt that year so I don't think he can take the Covid Year. Kris (August of 2000) came in during the fall of 2020 so I'm not sure how the Covid year eligibility works there.

Talen Horton-Tucker is also 22 (November of 2000 and in his 4th year of the NBA for reference.

Tyrese Haliburton is 22 (February of 2000) and in his 3rd year of the NBA.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
P-Mac (March of 2000) took his redshirt that year so I don't think he can take the Covid Year. Kris (August of 2000) came in during the fall of 2020 so I'm not sure how the Covid year eligibility works there.

Talen Horton-Tucker is also 22 (November of 2000 and in his 4th year of the NBA for reference.

Tyrese Haliburton is 22 (February of 2000) and in his 3rd year of the NBA.
Someone feel free to correct me, but if I remember right, Seniors were granted the ability to come back for another season, when all postseason tournaments for the 2019-2020 season were cancelled. Covid year granting all players an extra year of eligibility was for the 2020-21 season, I believe. The year of no fans.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Not sure why Cyclone fans care so much about the age of Iowa players.
Because we find it humorous that so many hawk players can't let go. It is a noticeable pattern that has occurred under Fran especially. He likes to use redshirts, and likes to find ways to keep his players for as long as he can.

The Murrays were a bit different. They had the year of prep school between HS and Iowa, which is where I think their potential was truly tapped into. Not sure whose idea it was for them to go to prep school. Maybe Fran recommended it, but I'm guessing family decision.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron