Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
C'mon everybody.

He must have worked HARD for a low D-1 level player from 55 MILES east of Ia Sh!tty. Like,.....driving to see him!!!!
Do you really think Fran would drive to Moline to watch a kid? He had the kid come work out for him, because EVERYONE knows all high school players secretly wants to be a Hawkeye.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque

Training regimen sure is... something. Not sure if it will make him quicker, faster, jump higher, learn how to play defense, etc, but can't knock him for trying. Dad still has him jacking 38' 3's though I see

• Haha
Reactions: Rural

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

Training regimen sure is... something. Not sure if it will make him quicker, faster, jump higher, learn how to play defense, etc, but can't knock him for trying. Dad still has him jacking 38' 3's though I see

I'm still fascinated by the love of these 3pt shots 5/10' behind the arc.
He needs to work on interior defense.

He's obviously trimmed up some and working hard, I just don't get those long range shots over and over.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyinthenorth

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018

Luka will have a good career coming off the bench in the NBA. He’ll make alot of money. Just born in wrong era. He would have been a stud and perfect for NBA in early 90s.

• Optimistic
  • Haha
Reactions: JP4CY and dafarmer

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
The lack of athleticism is so apparent. Hard work and effort,.....great.

NBA don't care.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Iowa fans reason #1 for liking Fran as coach would be that he gives Iowa kids a shot to play at a high-Division 1 level. For every CJ Frederick or Luka Garza, Fran has a dozen Bohannon, Wieskamp, Gesell, Woodbury, Baer, Kriener etc. What few of these fans would admit, however, is that Fran has enjoyed his modest success in spite of them rather than because of them. He doesn't recruit over guys, because he either won't or can't. I think Iowa fans are ok with 20 win seasons and 1st round NCAA exits because they get to watch their home grown hawks try to scratch and claw out gritty wins.

The way things are trending, Fran will have to start having his roster completely made up of guys in the latter category. Time will tell how effective or ineffective it will be.

I agree with this. I've always said that Fran is somewhat responsible for the downward trend of UNI basketball because he signs a lot of players that normally would have ended up there.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Agree…. offense and shooting should be the least of Luka’s worries, but it seems like that’s all he works on.

• Agree
Reactions: JP4CY

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Agree…. offense and shooting should be the least of Luka’s worries, but it seems like that’s all he works on.
Yeah, and there just isn't room for a guy like that in the NBA. There are tons of guys that can fill it up offensively, but if you don't like to play defense, and you move as if your feet are stuck in quick sand, it's not gonna be easy to carve out a niche. One thing of note in the draft last week was the pistons drafting another center. Could be bringing him in to battle it out with Luka for a roster spot.

Reactions: GMackey32

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Yeah, and there just isn't room for a guy like that in the NBA. There are tons of guys that can fill it up offensively, but if you don't like to play defense, and you move as if your feet are stuck in quick sand, it's not gonna be easy to carve out a niche. One thing of note in the draft last week was the pistons drafting another center. Could be bringing him in to battle it out with Luka for a roster spot.
Don't even know what center you're talking about but if he's any sort of rim protector Big L is gone.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Bigs now are incredibly athletic. Giannis is incredible on defense. Gobert is better.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Boy are they excited to get a player named Brock . . . .

Just watched it, "Fran's got momentum folks!"

Last edited:

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Don't even know what center you're talking about but if he's any sort of rim protector Big L is gone.
Honestly, it wasn't a name I'd heard before. Probably an overseas guy. I just scanned the draft results and noticed they drafted a C.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Honestly, it wasn't a name I'd heard before. Probably an overseas guy. I just scanned the draft results and noticed they drafted a C.
Detroit was supposedly going to make a run at Ayton, but have backed off after drafting Jalen Duren with the Knicks #13 pick. 6’11”, 7’5” wingspan, not a shooter, averaged 2.1 blocks in 25.3mpg at Memphis.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Cyinthenorth

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
It's Duren, from Memphis, he's one of/if not the best shot blockers in the draft, the exact opposite of Luka. Not a great sign. He's 3rd on the depth chart behind two centers with much higher ceilings, that are younger, more athletic and are better defenders.

• Informative
Reactions: Rural

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I'm still fascinated by the love of these 3pt shots 5/10' behind the arc.
He needs to work on interior defense.

He's obviously trimmed up some and working hard, I just don't get those long range shots over and over.

Honestly his shortcomings he just can't overcome. He's probably maximized his physical ability. Maximizing his offensive ability can still happen.

• Agree
Reactions: JP4CY and heitclone

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Honestly his shortcomings he just can't overcome. He's probably maximized his physical ability. Maximizing his offensive ability can still happen.
I still think he could go and tear it up in Europe. Detroit seems to be moving a different direction, but maybe they will trade him

• Agree
Reactions: 1776