Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

mikeiastat

Feb 1, 2007
Madison, WI
I'll admit I exaggerated a bit. Iowa's better than Georgia, Missouri, Ole Miss (I take that one back), Vandy, South Carolina, and Kansas State. They're probably on the same level as TCU, OU, WVU, Florida, etc.
[

All I'll say is Ksu has two marquee wins and no bad losses. I don't know that iowa is on another level from them. There's a good argument to be made that ksu has a better resume than Iowa.

No game data point really screams iowa should be in the top 50. It's all a scheduling thing. They haven't beaten any top 75 team on the road. They've only beaten 1 tournament quality team all year and that was a home court outlier to beat #32 indiana.

And give it time, Rutgers still may end up being a really bad loss. They are pushing tier 3 status.

Their inflated offensive numbers and gaming the schedule is the only reason they aren't on the outside looking in.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Cyclones1969

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
All I'll say is Ksu has two marquee wins and no bad losses. I don't know that iowa is on another level from them. There's a good argument to be made that ksu has a better resume than Iowa.

No game data point really screams iowa should be in the top 50. It's all a scheduling thing. They haven't beaten any top 75 team on the road. They've only beaten 1 tournament quality team all year and that was a home court outlier to beat #32 indiana.

And give it time, Rutgers still may end up being a really bad loss. They are pushing tier 3 status.

Their inflated offensive numbers and gaming the schedule is the only reason they aren't on the outside looking in.
KState has had a tough schedule for sure. I figured they'd be awful this year and they're "eh."
I am still of the opinion that Mark Turgeon will be their next HC.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Rebraca is actually more athletic than I expected. He has a number of relatively athletic dunks with a big right hand. That's not his problem

The problem is he has the body of a stretch 4, but he isn't a 3 point shooter and he plays smaller than his 6'7 height with no additional wingspan and a modest frame who provides little to no physicality on the block, especially on defense and on the boards. He's a little better offensively in that regard, but that's not saying much because physically he just doesn't have the tools.
So a mid major guy on a B1G roster...got it.

• Agree
Reactions: RezClone

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD

100% correct. They are 0-4 in quad 1 games. Even their Virgina win is not quad 1, which is admittedly tough luck on their part and out of their control.

I'd go so far as to say tonight is a big swing game that puts them on the bubble at best if they win. If they lose, they are in serious danger of being firmly under the first 4 out mark with few opportunities to climb out of it on their schedule.

• Disagree
Reactions: GoHawks

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Are you disagreeing with your fellow ISU fans who have been saying the whole time that Iowa isn't athletic? I like you as a poster so just trying to make sure I understand your position. Iowa has been a top offensive team for years under Fran but they've never struck me as particularly athletic.
Who are all of those? Iowa and Fran's problem isn't athleticism, it's defensive effort.

• Agree
Reactions: GoHawks

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
Rebraca is actually more athletic than I expected. He has a number of relatively athletic dunks with a big right hand. That's not his problem

The problem is he has the body of a stretch 4, but he isn't a 3 point shooter and he plays smaller than his 6'7 height with no additional wingspan and a modest frame who provides little to no physicality on the block, especially on defense and on the boards. He's a little better offensively in that regard, but that's not saying much because physically he just doesn't have the tools.
He's playing the 5 spot too so it complicates his weakness or makes it more glaring. If he was a 4 as we agree strength would be less of an issue. I thought he was going to be a better shooter. Fran needs to upgrade the 5 spot next year via the portal

• Agree
Reactions: RezClone

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
He's playing the 5 spot too so it complicates his weakness or makes it more glaring. If he was a 4 as we agree strength would be less of an issue. I thought he was going to be a shooter. Fran needs to upgrade the 5 spot next year via the portal
Mulvey probably just needs to hit the weight room more. Not much of a difference between his size and Nunge's, who's been really solid at Xavier.

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
Mulvey probably just needs to hit the weight room more. Not much of a difference between his size and Nunge's, who's been really solid at Xavier.
Nunge is very fluid. He was great with his length but he's like 24 and Mulvey is 18. I think Mulvey is years away from Nunge and I don't think ogundele is ever a factor. Portal is a must

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Nunge is very fluid. He was great with his length but he's like 24 and Mulvey is 18. I think Mulvey is years away from Nunge and I don't think ogundele is ever a factor. Portal is a must
I've never understood why Fran barely utilizes the portal. I know he hates it, but I think he could've had even better teams with a couple pieces added.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

Dirt Boy 2

Feb 23, 2013
@GoHawks You can disagree all you like but his arms weren't straight up... He's leaning into the defender and using his arm. It was a text book foul.

View attachment 94929
That looks like Rutgers studied from the lessor known VHS tape: Fran McCaffery, How to make All Big 10. The Aaron White Chapter.
He clearly needs to lower his shoulder just a little more and then flail his arms on the follow through.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Will Mulvey be able to redshirt or has he played in more than 8 games this year?

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
Most coaches don't have the security Fran does to take on projects over portal guys.

Genuine question, has Fran ever had a true transfer impact player? I can't think of one.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Yep. Robert Jones type of guys.
Lol no not like Bob. I do love him though for what he is to our team. The PG spot in particular, but I know that Bohannon and Connor were both at that position and Fran wasn't going to bring in a guy to take their minutes.

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
I've never understood why Fran barely utilizes the portal. I know he hates it, but I think he could've had even better teams with a couple pieces added.
I think his theory has been i'll get my guys, develop them, play them and they'll stay because they'll be happy. His theory kind of blew up when 2 guys left him 1 of which I don't blame him for but that stuff happens with college kids. You have to be agressive today or you're going to fall behind

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron