Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
That's the problem I had with this particular foul too because if you're going to call that then how many fouls should Rutgers have? Certainly not the 6 in the 2nd half they were at. I hate the hands defenses too and used Tech as an example last night. My problem with it is after awhile and typically when the bonus is reached they stop calling them
What aggravates me is to have both teams approx. aggressiveness and have a huge foul discrepancy (usually favoring home team) and then in last couple of minutes when it doesn't really matter they call 3-4 cheap, quick fouls on the home team, so final tally is a lot closer than the game was on the floor. TTU game, 2nd half 20:00-15:00 fouls, ISU 4, TTU 2, 15:00-10:00 ISU 4, TTU 1, 10:00-5:00 ISU 7 TTU 3, 5:00-0:00 ISU 4, TTU 3. Second half total: ISU 19 fouls, TTU 9. TTU was in double bonus just under 10:00 mark.

Last edited:

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Iowa is benefitting in the NET from their predictive metrics. They are perhaps the most extreme outlier of any team in the country right now. It is what it is, the committee will weigh both their metrics and actual resume.
I came up with my own metrics this morning and Iowa is third most overrated at 19 spots too high.
VA Tech: NET 40, my #63
Loyola Chi: NET 18, my #37
Iowa : NET 21, my #39
Indiana: NET 33, my #50
Kentucky: NET 10, my #27

Most underrated:
Miami, FL: NET 66, my #33
W. Virginia: NET 45, my #26
Providence: NET 32, my #14
Marquette: NET 39, my #21
Creighton: NET 59, my #42

Mick Mars

Mar 19, 2017
Iowa's three league wins are against teams with a combined conference record of 7-14...with two games against currently 0-8 Nebraska ahead. It was a much differently motivated IU team that beat Purdue tonight than the one that played at Carver last week...and IU was at home tonight against their hated rival who has owned their ....es the last few years. A very average Minnesota team that was down four players and two assistant coaches on Sunday. And a Maryland team limping through a season with an interim coach who was fired at an ACC school two years ago. And that was Tony Bennett's worst team in 7-8 years that they beat in November.

Forget NET and all the other analytics- Iowa's resume and schedule is a joke but Fran has the right people buffaloed. The great thing is, they'll sneak in to the field and, when they face somebody truly good, they'll get shellacked. Just like football in Indy and Oregon last March.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I came up with my own metrics this morning and Iowa is third most overrated at 19 spots too high.
VA Tech: NET 40, my #63
Loyola Chi: NET 18, my #37
Iowa : NET 21, my #39
Indiana: NET 33, my #50
Kentucky: NET 10, my #27

Most underrated:
Miami, FL: NET 66, my #33
W. Virginia: NET 45, my #26
Providence: NET 32, my #14
Marquette: NET 39, my #21
Creighton: NET 59, my #42
Marquette is arguably the most underrated team in the nation. Quality Wins - Illinois, WVU, Seton Hall, @ Villanova. Their losses are all quality as well - St: Bonaventure, @ Wisconsin, UCLA, @ Xavier, UCONN, Creighton

Iowa is probably the most overrated team along with Texas.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Iowa is benefitting in the NET from their predictive metrics. The predictive metrics are inflated by their overall efficiencies being really good due to them beating the eight sub 300 teams by an average winning margin of 30.25 points. The NET does not cap efficiencies which are intrinsically impacted by margin of victory. They are perhaps the most extreme outlier of any team in the country right now. It is what it is, the committee will weigh both their metrics and actual resume. If they sweep the Minnesotas, Nebraskas, and Penn States they'll be fine and work their way to a .500 or better B1G record. That gets them in the dance just probably not a very good seed because they literally don't have a single good win.

Excellent explanation of NET metrics, thanks for sharing as there have been some confusion on the formulation.
I see Iowa in with a .500 B1G record and predict they will get a signature win from either: Purdue, Sparty, or tOSU.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
Excellent explanation of NET metrics, thanks for sharing as there have been some confusion on the formulation.
I see Iowa in with a .500 B1G record and predict they will get a signature win from either: Purdue, Sparty, or tOSU.
Michigan State game is going to be huge. I don't like our chances in other 2 you mentioned. If Ohio State was at home maybe but can't see it on the road

Reactions: Statefan10

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
You give Jorbo too much credit......

"Hi, I'm Jordan from Door Dash. Here's your food, nice and warm. Have a nice day!"

I think you give Jorbo too much credit. I think this potential conversation would be closer to "Hi. I'm Jordan the famous basketball player and NCAA record holder working for Door Dash so more people can meet and tip me. Here's your food. If you wanted it hot you should move next to the restaurant."

mikeiastat

Feb 1, 2007
Madison, WI
I'm the basketball expert here the one making everyone money on the Hawk games. Guys on here are driving their new trucks off the lot because of me today. I know how it works. There's usually pretty good flexibility once you get below 50 because a lot of teams in that neighborhood don't have a Duke for example type of victory. Rutgers added Iowa and went up 8 spots. Alot the teams in the 70s and 80s also have a lot of losses coming such as Penn State, Minnesota, Northwestern for example. Others like Toledo, Wagner, and Towson will not even be playing the quad 2 games that Virginia will. Lastly I have confidence Virginia closes strong. If it was a team like Mississippi I maybe wouldn't think there's a shot but this is still Randy Bennetts team

So iowa and Rutgers were 91 spots apart in the net and that win got them 8. Duke and Virginia are about 80 spots apart seems like pretty close to half way to me.

a
I'm the basketball expert here the one making everyone money on the Hawk games. Guys on here are driving their new trucks off the lot because of me today. I know how it works. There's usually pretty good flexibility once you get below 50 because a lot of teams in that neighborhood don't have a Duke for example type of victory. Rutgers added Iowa and went up 8 spots. Alot the teams in the 70s and 80s also have a lot of losses coming such as Penn State, Minnesota, Northwestern for example. Others like Toledo, Wagner, and Towson will not even be playing the quad 2 games that Virginia will. Lastly I have confidence Virginia closes strong. If it was a team like Mississippi I maybe wouldn't think there's a shot but this is still Randy Bennetts team

I thought we were talking about Virginia becoming a quad 1 win, but 92nd isn't gonna cut it no matter how you slice it.

I don't care who your marquee win is against.

Again unless it's a win @ Cameron it barely gets them half way there.[to 75] I'm writing off AT Duke!

now take the other games against the top 3 and I believe they have to win two more of those than they lose to the rest of the weaksause on their schedule to really become a bubble team.

Above 75 is well defined for quad 1 win. But either is true.

Like in the Big 10 there are a number of games that even if they win their net will go down just for playing the dog **** bottom feeders.

Last edited:

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
At this point I think you hope for a broken bone instead of soft tissue damage.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
No chance this year is going like he thought it would. I don't think he understood his worth in NIL and overvalued himself big time. Guys in his shoes usually come back to up their stock in getting to the league, G-League, or overseas but Jordan isn't good enough to make it in any of the top ones. If he chooses the overseas route, he's likely going to be playing for low-level team making mediocre cash in a country he's not familiar with. That's tough for people with an ego his size and I'd probably give him a 10% sticks it out.
He came back because he’s peaking. Some 27 year old insurance salesman is even more creepy than a 26 year old over the hill college basketball player while hitting on the college freshmen.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Feel just incredibly awful for the kid. Open fracture.

If everything goes perfect he MIGHT be starting non-contact stuff a year from now. Just awful.

• Sad
Reactions: VeloClone