Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Didn't they go from 2 positive cases to 3?

That's going to be a tough thing for them.

I'll just type a word to try to gracefully describe the situation.

Intimate

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I'm all for letting them believe it's possible. Cause the let down will be epicly (just thought I'd try to make an adverb out of it) fun.
It IS possible. But a lot of these Iowa fans saying it's almost a guarantee they do that and win the Big 10 are just having a knee jerk reaction to the Garza news.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
What conference will be better than the B1G this season in basketball?

Whoa there little fella!!! You be getting the cart in front of the horse here or counting your chickens before they are hatched. Your arrogance yet again precedes you at this level.

First and foremost, even if there is a season. All you seem worried about is football and basketball everything else to you is a foregone conclusion.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Anybody concerned da Hoks are gonna win the Superbowl by double-digits for the 4th time in 5? Prohm can't get his teams elevated to win Superbowls.
He's never beaten them by double digs, even with NBA-talent and them with dorky caucasians.
Last season they had us down by 25 - TWENTY FIVE, in the 2nd half. I'll talk smack after we beat them.

2016: L 64-78
'17: W 84-78
'18: L 84-98
'19: L 68-84
'20: L by double digits.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Anybody concerned da Hoks are gonna win the Superbowl by double-digits for the 4th time in 5? Prohm can't get his teams elevated to win Superbowls.
He's never beaten them by double digs, even with NBA-talent and them with dorky caucasians.
Last season they had us down by 25 - TWENTY FIVE, in the 2nd half. I'll talk smack after we beat them.

2016: L 64-78
'17: W 84-78
'18: L 84-98
'19: L 68-84
'20: L by double digits.
Prohm's won 2 Big 12 tournaments, made a Sweet 16, and has put numerous players into the NBA. Would I love to beat Iowa badly? Sure. Do I care if we lose and go onto have a better year? No.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Prohm's won 2 Big 12 tournaments, made a Sweet 16, and has put numerous players into the NBA. Would I love to beat Iowa badly? Sure. Do I care if we lose and go onto have a better year? No.
We won't have a better year this year; and usually when we lose to Iowa by double-digs, especially in Hilton, we won't have a better year.
Prohm needs to get his team elevated for "Superbowls" - and needs to run a better offense than just a high-ball screen and letting your NBA player go 1-on-1. Fran actually runs a more disciplined O than Prohm.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
We won't have a better year this year; and usually when we lose to Iowa by double-digs, especially in Hilton, we won't have a better year.
Prohm needs to get his team elevated for "Superbowls" - and needs to run a better offense than just a high-ball screen and letting your NBA player go 1-on-1. Fran actually runs a more disciplined O than Prohm.

Prohm runs a more disciplined D and is a better coach than Fran so not sure your point. Our offense has never been an issue under Prohm

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Prohm's offense has been the least of his issues. I think you're looking at last year as a generalization. We were terrible last year at dang near everything.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Was really hoping he would turn pro, just to screw the Squawks, but good for him. EIU should have a very good team, something that Mad Fran has never had to deal with, being one of the favorites at the start of the season.
For their season to be successful, I would expect win or be in the top 2 in the conference, win or play in the championship game of the Big 10 tournament. At least an 8 seed in the NCAA's and at least a trip to the elite 8. Anything less is a poor season for the talent they return.

The Athletic had a good write up on the returning players, Garza was ranked #87 in draft, they thought at best late 2nd round, most likely a FA. Loved his offense skills, but pointed out about 43% of his points were put backs and right at the basket, stated those types of points do not happen that often in today's NBA. Liked he could shoot the 3 pointer at a high rate, but said he was slow on defense, that EIU played a lot of zone, which the NBA does not allow a true zone to be played, and was horrible on ball help defense.

Garza is a talent player, but his strengths just do not match where the NBA is at, but he will make money in Europe.

Last edited:

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Prohm's offense has been the least of his issues. I think you're looking at last year as a generalization. We were terrible last year at dang near everything.

Our offense was actually pretty good until Haliburton went down. Still finished top 50 in AdjO. Our defense was atrocious

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Prohm runs a more disciplined D and is a better coach than Fran so not sure your point. Our offense has never been an issue under Prohm

The point is Fran's O beats Prohm's D and scored double-digits victories - and will do it again this year, for the 4th time in 5.
Not sure what your point is by making excuses for losing by double-digs in Hilton.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
The point is Fran's O beats Prohm's D and scored double-digits victories - and will do it again this year, for the 4th time in 5.
Not sure what your point is by making excuses for losing by double-digs in Hilton.
I'm more worried about losing to FAMU by single digits last year. We lost by DD to numerous good teams in Hilton last year.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX

As long as Prohm has NBA-type players, who can shake-n-bake off a screen,his O is ok,. Force us into a half-court set, with a short clock, and we struggle .

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

Cool. Steve Prohm has a winning record vs Chris Beard. What's your point?

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
JFC Iowa finally won in Hilton for the first time in almost 20 years. We were terrible last year, that's not a secret.

Last edited: