Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
We laugh because Iowa's defense is bad. Bad defense doesn't win championships, no matter how good the offense. It's unrealistic for Iowa to win a championship in the same way it was for ISU under Fred. The national media is feeding the hype just the same they did for us a handful of years ago. Don't buy it.
That's why I'd pick Wisconsin or MSU to win the conference outright as well as go farther in the tournament

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Kriener was pretty darn solid all of last year. Nunge has some big shoes to fill, but he also needs to prove he can stay healthy.

Jordan will be good offensively for Iowa, but Iowa takes a step back on the defensive end whenever he's out there. I see Iowa playing that zone as their primary style of defense the entire year.

I think a big thing for Iowa will be their bench. Their starting 5 will be J-Bo, CJ, JW, Connor, and Garza (most likely), so you then have Nunge, Touissant, and Patrick to round it all off. Fran will also likely play the freshman in some capacity.

That starting 5 is fitting considering what's going on in Iowa City

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
We laugh because Iowa's defense is bad. Bad defense doesn't win championships
Well buddy boy, good thing this is around
81iaGxxnXtL._SL1500_.jpg

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
It's weird, most everyone thinks Iowa is a B1G title and Final Four contender except ISU fans.

Iowa can't even make the final four of the Big 10 tournament - what makes you think they can make the final four of 5x the amount of teams lol.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Iowa can't even make the final four of the Big 10 tournament - what makes you think they can make the final four of 5x the amount of teams lol.
Let them be excited for this year.. Things look pretty bleak for the future after Garza's gone.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
****. Guess they'll get it done after all.
Yup that championship defense at Iowa has gotten them to literally no championships in any form as well as never higher than a 7 seed in the NCAA tournament.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I am hoping Nunge can replace Krieners production.

Adding back a healthy Bohannon is a pretty big deal. He was 3rd team all conference as a junior and has a realistic shot of making more 3 pointers than any other player in B1G history.

Again- 1 ball. Bohannon is a good shooter, but that means less shots for who? Garza, Wieskamp, Fredrick, Toussaint. The first 2 will want to showcase their abilities for NBA scouts.

How high Iowa scales the rankings isn't about offense, it will be about defense.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
goodness, they kick our @ss two years in a row and we have fans on here talking crap about their team? Sadly I think they will beat our butts bad again this year.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
goodness, they kick our @ss two years in a row and we have fans on here talking crap about their team? Sadly I think they will beat our butts bad again this year.
I don't think one person has said Iowa is going to be worse than Iowa State next year. We're just saying they aren't going to win the Big 10 conference and aren't going to make the Final 4. Not exactly the most fiery take either.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Like ISU last season bleak or not that bad?
No clue. 3 seasons ago Iowa State only won 1 more game than we did last year, but 3 seasons ago Iowa was just as bad and lost to us so no one batted an eye. Last year Iowa was finally overwhelmingly better so people started losing their minds.

TrianglePlace

May 13, 2020
Again- 1 ball. Bohannon is a good shooter, but that means less shots for who? Garza, Wieskamp, Fredrick, Toussaint. The first 2 will want to showcase their abilities for NBA scouts.

How high Iowa scales the rankings isn't about offense, it will be about defense.

You think Garza and Wieskamp are going to play hero ball to showcase for scouts?

TrianglePlace

May 13, 2020
No clue. 3 seasons ago Iowa State only won 1 more game than we did last year, but 3 seasons ago Iowa was just as bad and lost to us so no one batted an eye. Last year Iowa was finally overwhelmingly better so people started losing their minds.

If Wieskamp comes back for his senior year Iowa will still be a decent team, in my opinion.

They won't be a consensus top 10 team heading into the season like this year but better than average.