Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Not sure why Cyclone fans care so much about the age of Iowa players.
Goes to show Fran can’t develop kids right out of high school or any age. No matter what age they are Fran still can’t get his teams to the second week of the tournament. Are you saying he needs older, more mature players?

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
They never really recovered after that *** kicking they received from Iowa in Miami

Man you could see it coming from a mile away too. That Iowa defense was really good, a one dimensional offense like that didn't stand a chance when Kirk and Co had weeks to scheme/prepare.

• Agree
Reactions: GMackey32

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
Because we find it humorous that so many hawk players can't let go. It is a noticeable pattern that has occurred under Fran especially. He likes to use redshirts, and likes to find ways to keep his players for as long as he can.

The Murrays were a bit different. They had the year of prep school between HS and Iowa, which is where I think their potential was truly tapped into. Not sure whose idea it was for them to go to prep school. Maybe Fran recommended it, but I'm guessing family decision.
Well Unfortunately Fran doesn't seem to recruit a lot ready products so yes they do stick around quite a bit. Glass houses though. TJ redirected this program brilliantly I'll add by bringing in a lot of 4th, 5th and even 6 year guys via the portal. I can't imagine Holmes is much younger if at all compared to connor. Same with Osunnyi, kunc, and Jones

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Well Unfortunately Fran doesn't seem to recruit a lot ready products so yes they do stick around quite a bit. Glass houses though. TJ redirected this program brilliantly I'll add by bringing in a lot of 4th, 5th and even 6 year guys via the portal. I can't imagine Holmes is much younger if at all compared to connor. Same with Osunnyi, kunc, and Jones

How is the age of our guys glass houses. We identified needs, told guys that weren’t cutting it to get lost, and then fulfilled needs via the transfer portal and signing the 6th ranked class in the country. So basically did things that Fran isn’t capable of.

The 2 programs are not on the same trajectory at all.

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
I don't know man it just doesn't pass the smell test. So Kris averaged 18(!) minutes a game last year, and now he's going for 30 and 20 in a game?! I wouldn't be surprised at all if Kenyon and Fran put this plan together. Feature Keegan (who's a little better) one year and then feature Kris a year later to maximize each kids publicity and draft stock. I mean more power to them. If the boys were on board there's really nothing wrong with it. Lord knows Iowa would be completely screwed without Kris this year. Fran would've had to bring in an impact transfer and I'm not sure he's capable.
Just wait till next year when there are no more Murrays to lean on.

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
How is the age of our guys glass houses. We identified needs, told guys that weren’t cutting it to get lost, and then fulfilled needs via the transfer portal and signing the 6th ranked class in the country. So basically did things that Fran isn’t capable of.

The 2 programs are not on the same trajectory at all.
The age was a big part of the conversation.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
The age was a big part of the conversation.
If you can't see the difference between TJ bringing in those guys to rebuild a cratered program vs. Fran who has been there for 12 years, then I can't help you.

Let me know when any of those guys are tying up scholarships for 3-6 years, then we'll talk.

Reactions: CycloneVet

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
If you can't see the difference between TJ bringing in those guys to rebuild a cratered program vs. Fran who has been there for 12 years, then I can't help you.

Let me know when any of those guys are tying up scholarships for 3-6 years, then we'll talk.
I said it was a brilliant move from the start but I guess I don't get the joke of 1 team having older guys when the other has the same thing.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
I said it was a brilliant move from the start but I guess I don't get the joke of 1 team having older guys when the other has the same thing.
One guy is in year 2. One guy is in year 12. One guy is using old guys to rebuild a roster. One guy is using old guys because he allows them to stick around for 4-5 years.

Again, if you can’t see that, then I can’t help you.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
We'll learn a lot about Iowa next week. Duke/ISU/Wisconsin. 2 of the 3 at home and a neutral site game.

Duke is more finesse than they have been in the past, so I give Iowa a fighting chance in that one. Iowa is a more put together team right now in the season as they know who they are and they will be able to take advantage of a Duke team that is still figuring out roles. Duke has the athleticism advantage at nearly every position, but will it be enough?

ISU/Iowa will be a street fight. I fully expect Iowa to come prepared and motivated for that one. If they can rebound like they did against Georgia Tech, hit a few outside shots, and have the game called with a quick whistle the way Fran likes it, Iowa wins. If it's a physical game, big advantage ISU. Fascinating game.

Wisconsin and ISU are pretty similar. Will Iowa have enough in the tank at the end of the week to handle another physical slugfest? This game being at home is definitely helpful. Wisconsin seems to have figured out roles and who they are early in the season, which neutralizes an advantage Iowa typically has in November/December.

I honestly think Duke is the most winnable game next week, then ISU, then Wisconsin.

Not saying I have full confidence in ISU (it's just a long season and lots can happen) but I'm not sold on WI and Gard may need to look over his shoulder; this week proves that AD doesn't mess around.

I know they hung around KU but KU usually takes until February to define themselves.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
just spent the day in a meeting and talked with a hok fan. He told me they are getting these game like last night to get ready for their run in the big 10. he said fran has had to build up after the last coach, which has taken time.
Did you remind him that it’s 2022 and not 2012? Lol

Reactions: VeloClone

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
The guys you mentioned have all been in school a year less than Connor at a minimum. Jones is a true senior this year. Connors true senior year would have been 20-21. 2 years ago.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Chances that Connor is on the coaching staff next year at Iowa?

Football team seems to have the nepotism thing down…. I could definitely see Fran giving Connor a job. Plus I don’t think Connor ever wants to leave.

• Haha
Reactions: mj4cy

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Just noticed that Garza has been up with the big boys the past week and a half. Played 57 seconds so far this season...no stats to report yet. o_O

Reactions: VeloClone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron