Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
giphy.gif

So he doesn't suck........just has "severe limitations"? Hmmmm.....like father like son?

Under Fran during that time with 4 pro's, the most dominant offensive center in Big Ten history, and the leading 3 point scorer in Big Ten history......Iowa has no conference titles, no conference tourney titles and no sweet sixteens.

I would say under even perfect conditions both don't suck, just have "severe limitations".

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Wellllll, there's been games we haven't been shiny at shooting so I won't throw much shade there.
Oh, believe me, I know that we have struggled at times. That said, we consistently play very good defense, but because of limitations we are NOT a top 10, 15 or 20 team. I pointed out Purdue's 2 weaknesses (FT shooting & Defense) in this thread to make a case that they are NOT a top-10 worthy team. They happen to be in the B1G - which is automatically labeled by the drooling media as an "all-world" conference every single year - and that is why they are rated as high as they are (and why the teams in that conference are consistently over-rated). I will definitely be picking Purdue as an early round upset in the Tourney.

Reactions: NWICY

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
The one that got stomped by an average Oregon team in the second round?

Which I predicted would happen? Yes. I'm not saying they are one of their best teams ever, but many of their fans assumed that. Also, they were 14-6 at this point and still top 15 in the country. That's stupidly insane.

MushroomPinball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2017
Oh, believe me, I know that we have struggled at times. That said, we consistently play very good defense, but because of limitations we are NOT a top 10, 15 or 20 team. I pointed out Purdue's 2 weaknesses (FT shooting & Defense) in this thread to make a case that they are NOT a top-10 worthy team. They happen to be in the B1G - which is automatically labeled by the drooling media as an "all-world" conference every single year - and that is why they are rated as high as they are (and why the teams in that conference are consistently over-rated). I will definitely be picking Purdue as an early round upset in the Tourney.
Purdue gets upset all the time early in the tourney. They always have great post players but you need solid guard play to make a run. The one year they almost got farther in the tournament was when Carson Edwards played out of his mind.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
At least some Hawk fans get it.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls

woof

• Haha
Reactions: Cyinthenorth

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque

woof
Favorite part of that post:
" You know what was hilarious? They zoomed in on the bench during one of the time outs and all I was was short white guys pretending to be black making some signs in the air. This is the future. Holy crap. We are doomed. "

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
At least some Hawk fans get it.

Oh ****, nobody tell them football is the same deal.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Favorite part of that post:
" You know what was hilarious? They zoomed in on the bench during one of the time outs and all I was was short white guys pretending to be black making some signs in the air. This is the future. Holy crap. We are doomed. "
OK, that is funny.

My favorites are the workout videos they put out a couple years ago. Watching those dorks blowing out a nut lifting less weight than my 125 lb 10th grade daughter does was hilarious.

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
Iowa has to be the team that gets the most fouls by simply flailing.
I find Francon as hilarious as the next guy. But what's even more hilarious is the segment of our fans who don't think getting on the refs like Fran does buys your team some cheap calls in your favor. It absolutely does, and it's really not debatable.

Can you cross over into being too extreme with it? Also yes. Both can be true.

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
Tyrese Hunter is a freshman and makes his mistakes but he's tougher than anyone that Iowa has had in their backcourt under Fran and it's not close.

I thought Gessell was definitely serviceable, and could have had a much bigger impact if he had had better coaching.

but for a guy that played the position, and actually had good guards at sienna, Fran does terrible with the back court

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
You know what's insane to me?

They have the exact same overall record (14-6) right now and that was the exact same record they had last year after 20 games. And that team was supposed one of their best in history.
But they played less non-con games last year and went 6-1. This year they played more and went 10-1.

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
“Iowa football is 8-4 with two guaranted home wins vs FCS creampuffs....sometimes they win close games and schedule is soft and they exceed and get 9 or 10 wins....and then get blown out when they play someone good. Some years they lose the close ones and they are 6-6 or 7-4. This 10 year win was just the normal variation of what you see with KF...backed into B1G title game and then blown out.

Iowa B-ball is 0.500 in B1G over last 40 years. We are going to be around that this year...I suspect we have talent to be 7th place in B1G and make NCAA and Fran is going to coach them to 9th place and NIT.

Last year was the year we waited 11 years in Bball and Fran pissed it down his legs.”

My personal favorite post from that HR thread.

But every single thing in that post is true.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10