Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Yeah their NET ranking is completely inflated. Iowa should realistically be in the 50's or 60's.

And as weak as their wins have been are so far, along with 9 of their remaining 13 games against the bottom half of the league.....I don't have a clue how they can get any higher unless they just win out.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
The fact that Iowa is currently #25 in Net despite not having a single Q1 win shows that the formula is putting way too much weight into offensive efficiency. In all 4 of their Q4 losses Iowa basically got their lunch handed to them. Ironically offensive efficiency is what has held Iowa States ranking too low.

Pretty sure defensive efficiency holds an equal share of the NET ranking.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Well we are currently rated higher than them in the NET but it's not even about that. It's the fact that their resume is no better than most teams in the 40's, 50's and 60's yet they're 25 because of how the system is calculated. Compare them to say Creighton right? I'd say they're very similar and equal teams. Creighton is 50th and has 3 Q1 wins.

As of yesterday we were behind Iowa again by a couple spots... The resumes aren't even comparable.

• Winner
Reactions: dahliaclone

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Iowa did get hosed on the call last night. However, the real question is how you are allowing Rutgers to come in the Morgue and take a win. IF Iowa was any good, they would have won by 10-15 points. Fear the silence of the Morgue. CHA

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Man I don't know, it seems like it's all a big mystery.

I think this is the formula.

It takes into account game results, strength of schedule, game location, scoring margin, net offensive and defensive efficiency, and the quality of wins and losses.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Iowa did get hosed on the call last night. However, the real question is how you are allowing Rutgers to come in the Morgue and take a win. IF Iowa was any good, they would have won by 10-15 points. Fear the silence of the Morgue. CHA

It was at Rutgers bud.

Reactions: Drew0311

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I think this is the formula.

It takes into account game results, strength of schedule, game location, scoring margin, net offensive and defensive efficiency, and the quality of wins and losses.

I don't think scoring margin is still included but I could be wrong. At some point wins and losses have to matter though so I don't understand the weight that offensive efficiency is carrying.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I only caught the end but that was just bad basketball. Bad defense with worse offense.
Agreed. Mrs. Velo turned it on and the score was 10-10. I wasn't paying close attention but looked in for a possession here and there. What seemed like an eternity later the score was still 10-10. They were getting open shots on a lot of possessions but neither team could hit the broad side of a barn. But at the end of the game the BTN announcers had to talk about the great defense in the game. The defense was poor but the offense was atrocious.

• Haha
Reactions: iahawks

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I don't think scoring margin is still included but I could be wrong. At some point wins and losses have to matter though so I don't understand the weight that offensive efficiency is carrying.
I don't think scoring margin matters as well. And who knows maybe somehow the formula likes Iowa for some reason. They could be an anomaly er something. All I know is that they're the only team in the top 40 without a Q1 win and 1 of 3 teams in the top 50 without a Q1 win (UNC - 44 & VT - 41).

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Agreed. Mrs. Velo turned it on and the score was 10-10. I wasn't paying close attention but looked in for a possession here and there. What seemed like an eternity later the score was still 10-10. They were getting open shots on a lot of possessions but neither team could hit the broad side of a barn. But at the end of the game the BTN announcers had to talk about the great defense in the game. The defense was poor but the offense was atrocious.

Not saying the offenses were the best by any means, but I've never seen Iowa have so many shot clock issues under Fran before. Rutgers played fantastic defense last night. You must have watched another game or don't know much about basketball.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Not saying the offenses were the best by any means, but I've never seen Iowa have so many shot clock issues under Fran before. Rutgers played fantastic defense last night. You must have watched another game or don't know much about basketball.

We pushed Iowa into late scrambles against the shot clock as well. A lot of that has to do with not letting Iowa have a clear path to the lane. Iowa's half court offense hasn't been good all year but if you let them get down the floor they will hurt you with the tempo. Get back and take away the driving lanes and they are not good.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
We pushed Iowa into late scrambles against the shot clock as well. A lot of that has to do with not letting Iowa have a clear path to the lane. Iowa's half court offense hasn't been good all year but if you let them get down the floor they will hurt you with the tempo. Get back and take away the driving lanes and they are not good.

ISU played great defense too.

• Agree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
Iowa is benefitting in the NET from their predictive metrics. The predictive metrics are inflated by their overall efficiencies being really good due to them beating the eight sub 300 teams by an average winning margin of 30.25 points. The NET does not cap efficiencies which are intrinsically impacted by margin of victory. They are perhaps the most extreme outlier of any team in the country right now. It is what it is, the committee will weigh both their metrics and actual resume. If they sweep the Minnesotas, Nebraskas, and Penn States they'll be fine and work their way to a .500 or better B1G record. That gets them in the dance just probably not a very good seed because they literally don't have a single good win.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron