Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
But it’s much different than Pemsl, who knew he wasn’t going to be able to play with his knee, but really didn’t want to miss out on the Iowa State game.
Yes I was talking about if JBo would try and test out his injured hip and end up playing us, not Pemsl. Pemsl's situation is completely different.

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
CJ Frederick is likely going to be an all Big 10 player. He can do it all. Better than JorBo/Moss/Weiskamp combined. He is a tremendous talent.

(sarcasm, although many Hawkeye fans are hyping him up)

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
I think we were talking about if JBo would try to test it out next year and end up playing in the Iowa State game it would be a sort of similar situation to what Naz went through. The difference being that Naz did not know he was going to shut himself down at all and knew that after the Iowa game he had to shut it down in order to be able to play the next year. I completely agree Pemsl's situation was different. I believe I stated in another reply that Naz's deal was completely different than Pemsl's. I think you and I are in agreement.

This guy gets it.

Reactions: Statefan10

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I think we were talking about if JBo would try to test it out next year and end up playing in the Iowa State game it would be a sort of similar situation to what Naz went through. The difference being that Naz did not know he was going to shut himself down at all and knew that after the Iowa game he had to shut it down in order to be able to play the next year. I completely agree Pemsl's situation was different. I believe I stated in another reply that Naz's deal was completely different than Pemsl's. I think you and I are in agreement.

I don't doubt for a second that JBo will try to take advantage of playing in 5 Super Bowls.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Can someone explain where the hype came from on this kid? He came to Iowa as a walk on

He has basically replaced Brady Ellingson as the most tremendous practice shooter in the country.

Seriously though, the Iowa media propaganda machine is a real fine tuned piece of work...

Reactions: kingcy

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I don't doubt for a second that JBo will try to take advantage of playing in 5 Super Bowls.
I can totally see him wanting to play in the game considering his known hatred for Iowa State, but that would require him to possibly come back a little bit earlier from his injury than he'd like. Being a short white basketball player already sets you back a bit in the divison 1 basketball world, coupling that with an injury / lack of 100% mobility would make playing even more tough. We'll have to see what decision he makes.

Reactions: kingcy

Cyclone27inQC

Jun 16, 2010
Quad Cities
Bohannon seems like the kid that would never want to leave Iowa so this could be a positive for him. It will set back his career selling insurance a year but it will be worth it to him
He's trying to keep up with Jess Settles for longevity at EIU by wearing his varsity jacket on campus until he's 34 years old.

• Funny
Reactions: CTTB78

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
Lots to digest here Chad

1. The toughest schedule in program history is Creighton, SD State, and Cincinnati? I mean, maybe if they draw Villanova and Duke with the two still to be announced games but as it stands... JFC.

2. A 1-2 starting backcourt of Connor McCaffery and CJ Fredrick. Wow. That's gotta be close to the worst in P5 basketball. Connor is going to be away the entire summer playing a different sport too? Yikes!

3. Why in the world would you redshirt Patrick, the already super old freshmen, now? You're down to 9 and a walk-on. Why would you voluntarily cut that down even more?

4. Pray for Joe Wieskamp.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
1. The toughest schedule in program history is Creighton, SD State, and Cincinnati? I mean, maybe if they draw Villanova and Duke with the two still to be announced games but as it stands... JFC.

2. A 1-2 starting backcourt of Connor McCaffery and CJ Fredrick. Wow. That's gotta be close to the worst in P5 basketball. Connor is going to be away the entire summer playing a different sport too? Yikes!

3. Why in the world would you redshirt Patrick, the already super old freshmen, now? You're down to 9 and a walk-on. Why would you voluntarily cut that down even more?

4. Pray for Joe Wieskamp.
I find it extremely interesting that Connor is going to be away the entire summer for baseball. Right now there are a lot of new faces that are going to be playing next year for Iowa and having a summer to mesh and create chemistry is highly important. Wouldn't you think after a few players leaving and Bohannon got injured Connor would stay for the betterment of the team? Have to wonder if his last name wasn't McCaffery if he'd be allowed to be away for so long. I would lean towards no.

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
I find it extremely interesting that Connor is going to be away the entire summer for baseball. Right now there are a lot of new faces that are going to be playing next year for Iowa and having a summer to mesh and create chemistry is highly important. Wouldn't you think after a few players leaving and Bohannon got injured Connor would stay for the betterment of the team? Have to wonder if his last name wasn't McCaffery if he'd be allowed to be away for so long. I would lean towards no.

Taking those .230 batting average talents to the Big Apple!

• Funny
Reactions: CyTwins

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Bohannon seems like the kid that would never want to leave Iowa so this could be a positive for him. It will set back his career selling insurance a year but it will be worth it to him

I enjoyed my free master's degree from my alma mater, too.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Taking those .230 batting average talents to the Big Apple!
It also could be mentioned that Connor was not an all-star this year for them by any means and many times throughout the season he probably should not have been in the game. If he were not the coaches son, he would have to excel greatly this next off-season for him to solidify his playing time and not get jumped by someone else. In his current situation he can basically do anything and still start or get significant minutes.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Those offseason workouts are going to be real productive if they have 3 guards total at them.
No worries they'll just find more friends of the family to walk-on to the team to fill the empty spaces.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Fran finally hired his assistant coach replacing Francis, Billy Taylor. Seems to have good Mid-Major experience.

https://www.hawkeyenation.com/features/hawkeyes-tab-billy-taylor-as-assistant

Taylor joins the Hawkeye staff as an assistant coach after 18 years of collegiate coaching experience, including head coaching stints at Ball State, Lehigh, and Belmont Abbey. McCaffery coached Taylor as an assistant coach at Notre Dame (1992-95) and has been on the same staff as McCaffery on three different occasions.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY and Go2Guy

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Fran finally hired his assistant coach replacing Francis, Billy Taylor. Seems to have good Mid-Major experience.

https://www.hawkeyenation.com/features/hawkeyes-tab-billy-taylor-as-assistant

Taylor joins the Hawkeye staff as an assistant coach after 18 years of collegiate coaching experience, including head coaching stints at Ball State, Lehigh, and Belmont Abbey. McCaffery coached Taylor as an assistant coach at Notre Dame (1992-95) and has been on the same staff as McCaffery on three different occasions.

Seems like a solid hire. I'm surprised.

Reactions: aobie