Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Again, you guys can believe whatever you want. I just shared what my neighbor randomly sent to me while he was at the game. He’s a die hard hok fan who’s had season tickets for years and I have zero reason to doubt him. Don’t see what he would get by making it up but obviously you guys know better..

This is literally the only account of this happening. I'm skeptical because critical thinking leads me to believe that there would be additional accounts of the same thing. I don't think you are lying, but I think your friend is.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
From Iowa's basketball signing press release:

JOSH OGUNDELE

“What attracted me to the University of Iowa was not only the coaches, but the team’s reputation of players, and how well they play and compete in the Big Ten. I also liked how the program has produced players in the NBA.”

I wonder if he means that they've helped opposing players get drafted by not guarding them.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA

JOSH OGUNDELE

“What attracted me to the University of Iowa was not only the coaches, but the team’s reputation of players, and how well they play and compete in the Big Ten. I also liked how the program has produced a player in the NBA in the last 20 years.”

Fixed it for him.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

JOSH OGUNDELE

“What attracted me to the University of Iowa was not only the coaches, but the team’s reputation of players, and how well they play and compete in the Big Ten. I also liked how the program has produced players in the NBA.”

Wow,. there are some gem quotes from Fran in the release.

FRAN McCAFFERY ON OGUNDELE
“Josh is a powerful athlete, who has bounce and feel for the game. Josh came over from London and challenged himself to play for one of the most competitive AAU programs and one of the best prep schools in the country and coach Jamie Sullivan. Josh is going to have an immediate impact on our program. He is a young man with great character, and we are thrilled he has joined the Hawkeye family.”

ON PERKINS
“Tony is an athletic, attack-minded guard that can play either spot. He has length and can guard anybody from 5-foot-10 to 6-8. He has tremendous athletic power and competitive instincts. He has great feel for how to play. Tony plays for a great high school program and great high school coach in Jack Keefer. We are thrilled that he is a Hawkeye!

ON ULIS
“I watched Ahron grow up, beginning when I was recruiting his older brother (Tyler). I have a great relationship with his family and high school coach, Mike Taylor, who is one of the best in the Chicagoland area. I’ve watched Ahron develop into the player he is now. He is in the gym grinding all the time and surrounds himself with knowledgeable people. I am really excited to have Ahron join our program.”

ON KRIS AND KEEGAN MURRAY
“I started watching Keegan and Kris at a young age because they were constantly playing against my sons Connor and Patrick at different tournaments and leagues. I watched them continue to work and grow as players, but also grow to be 6-foot-8. They could always shoot and handle the basketball. They always had tremendous basketball IQ.

“They are really good athletes with length and now that they are 6-8, they are spending a year at a high-level prep school, maturing for another season, grinding in the gym, working on fundamentals and getting in the weight room. They are going to come ready. They are both incredibly versatile. They can make 3’s, they can put it on the deck, and play multiple positions. One can play guard, one can play forward, or they can play both forward spots because they crash the boards. They are both capable of multiple double-doubles. It’s going to be good for them to be home and play for the Hawkeyes.”

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/press-release-on-iowas-5-signees-for-mens-basketball.293131/

Rural

Feb 3, 2010

“Josh is a powerful athlete, who has bounce and feel for the game. Josh came over from London and challenged himself to play for one of the most competitive AAU programs and one of the best prep schools in the country and coach Jamie Sullivan. Josh is going to have an immediate impact on our program. He is a young man with great character, and we are thrilled he has joined the Hawkeye family.”

ON PERKINS
“Tony is an athletic, attack-minded guard that can play either spot. He has length and can guard anybody from 5-foot-10 to 6-8. He has tremendous athletic power and competitive instincts. He has great feel for how to play. Tony plays for a great high school program and great high school coach in Jack Keefer. We are thrilled that he is a Hawkeye!

ON ULIS
“I watched Ahron grow up, beginning when I was recruiting his older brother (Tyler). I have a great relationship with his family and high school coach, Mike Taylor, who is one of the best in the Chicagoland area. I’ve watched Ahron develop into the player he is now. He is in the gym grinding all the time and surrounds himself with knowledgeable people. I am really excited to have Ahron join our program.”

“I started watching Keegan and Kris at a young age because they were constantly playing against my sons Connor and Patrick at different tournaments and leagues. I watched them continue to work and grow as players, but also grow to be 6-foot-8. They could always shoot and handle the basketball. They always had tremendous basketball IQ.

“They are really good athletes with length and now that they are 6-8, they are spending a year at a high-level prep school, maturing for another season, grinding in the gym, working on fundamentals and getting in the weight room. They are going to come ready. They are both incredibly versatile. They can make 3’s, they can put it on the deck, and play multiple positions. One can play guard, one can play forward, or they can play both forward spots because they crash the boards. They are both capable of multiple double-doubles. It’s going to be good for them to be home and play for the Hawkeyes.”

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/press-release-on-iowas-5-signees-for-mens-basketball.293131/

I love all these guys that "can play either spot" but really can't play any.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls

JOSH OGUNDELE

Is this made up?

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls

ON PERKINS

ON ULIS

Get Fran a towel, he has something on his lip. Jesus

• Funny
Reactions: mj4cy

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby

JOSH OGUNDELE

“What attracted me to the University of Iowa was not only the coaches, but the team’s reputation of players, and how well they play and compete in the Big Ten. I also liked how the program has produced players in the NBA.

Another confused kid because of the media. He obviously thought he was signing on with the Iowa State Hawkeyes....:D Fran has figured out a new angle it seems.

• Funny
Reactions: ATCy

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Does the kid think he has been given an offer from Iowa State?
It's recency bias. I'm sure he's heard of Tyler Cook and thinks there may be more players from the U of I in the league because of him.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
It's recency bias. I'm sure he's heard of Tyler Cook and thinks there may be more players from the U of I in the league because of him.

I seriously doubt a player from the UK was aware of Tyler Cook. If so not sure he should look at the path of a the top 75 ranked player's development under Fran leading fans calling him an underachiever and now upset he left early ultimately resulting TC not being drafted by the NBA.

Credit Tyler for taking advantage of his opportunity in the summer league to get a shot but not sure that should be considered a success story that Fran should be selling.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: kentkel and Acylum

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I seriously doubt a player from the UK was aware of Tyler Cook. If so not sure he should look at the path of a the top 75 ranked player's development under Fran leading fans calling him an underachiever and now upset he left early ultimately resulting TC not being drafted by the NBA.

Credit Tyler for taking advantage of his opportunity in the summer league to get a shot but not sure that should be considered a success story that Fran should be selling.
Yeah Tyler Cook really did not get any better at basketball at Iowa. Sure he took advantage of the weight room and got bigger, faster, and stronger, but his game did not excel at all.

• Winner
Reactions: kentkel

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
You sure about that? He's appeared in 4 games (all blowouts), for a total of 13 mns, and scored 10 pts. Seems like that would get international attention.
giphy.gif

Reactions: Acylum

ATCy

Jun 3, 2015
This is literally the only account of this happening. I'm skeptical because critical thinking leads me to believe that there would be additional accounts of the same thing. I don't think you are lying, but I think your friend is.
I agree, I thought something would be out there about it but maybe not. He said the people in his area saw it and couldn't believe she did that either and that she laughed all the way back to her seat and was telling everyone around her while she was laughing. He said it was a cup from the player's bench that she got during a timeout in the first half and he text me that at 7:31pm which it was a 7:00 game. But again, I have no reason to doubt him or why he would make that up. I just assumed the camera man was friends with Dolph and that's why she did it..