Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I feel bad for a fan base that is trying to pump up this recruiting class for Iowa. I mean its down right terrible. They are trying to pump this Josh Ogulende (SP?) like he is Hakeem or something. I mean he is a fringe player with a Rutgers offer. I mean He would be a great get if they had a couple of 4 stars. Like if we took him, that would be good since we have all of our main targets and we just add a guy in case he might end up good.

Not sure how Fran will survive much longer with this terrible of recruiting.

• Agree
Reactions: ATCy

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Even if Fran is gone in a couple of years, it will be really tough to flip the script. Look at football, CMC and staff are still struggling to gain ground on Iowa kids, especially in the trenches.

For the same exact reason XF signed here, those trenchers are wise to sign with Iowa. I think we'll see that change some once ISU starts placing linemen in the draft.

• Agree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
The last few classes coupled with Fran's inability to get a quality transfer will end up being the nail in the coffin but it will still be a couple years before he's fired. I honestly don't see how they turn it around at this point because they have almost nothing to build around.

• Agree
Reactions: KcCyclone77

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I feel bad for a fan base that is trying to pump up this recruiting class for Iowa. I mean its down right terrible. They are trying to pump this Josh Ogulende (SP?) like he is Hakeem or something. I mean he is a fringe player with a Rutgers offer. I mean He would be a great get if they had a couple of 4 stars. Like if we took him, that would be good since we have all of our main targets and we just add a guy in case he might end up good.

Not sure how Fran will survive much longer with this terrible of recruiting.

When your "best recruit" in a 5 man class is a 22% free throw shooter who's best offer was Rutgers I think it's safe to say they will have a new head coach if they stay their whole career unfortunately

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Hey, but the Twins were goign to go to Auburn! I mean they just beat them to the punch, despite this not being reported anywhere. Just what some people were saying.

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
It is funny but we've had the same stuff happen here, there were CPR loyalist who would never turn on him (some are still here but don't pop their head up anymore) despite the writing on the wall, hell you can go back to the Gmac days and there were people blindly defending the steaming pile of a program he created. It resulted in the same "you're not a real fan" type of pissing matches that are going on over there.

I will say there is a difference though, we were upset about our programs struggling and rightfully so. I think they have that too but they also have more and more of them coming to the realization that its not just ISU fans that see Iowa as the inferior program in the state. Losing Carton stung but they are used to playing second fiddle to Ohio State, Foster was a reality check for a lot of them and he definitely didn't sugar coat his reasons for picking ISU. Throw in the fact that they have no shot with the next big in state recruit and things are looking grim.

Some fans will always have the mentality that if you talk bad about a program or coach then you aren't a fan. Those people lack common brain functionality, so I wouldn't worry about those opinions.

Fran got extremely lucky that Iowa has produced OK/decent talent over the past 10 years. He has failed to recruit outside the state of Iowa with a few exceptions, and even failed on some of his best talent (Uthoff, and slightly with Jok until they were the only offer). Most didn't have any other decent offers so they chose Iowa or were Iowa fans, but he's lucky they were decently talented. They have kept him good enough to appease some of the fans and have had good stretches - but ultimately the wheels fall off and his poor coaching and development have killed him. His inability to recruit is mind blowing and laughable for a Power 5 conference, and the fact that he has 2 kids on the team is going to make it even harder to get rid of him.

Foster would have made Iowa better, no doubt, but in the end he would have kept this status-quo of being decent enough to keep Fran but bad enough to lose by 15 to Depaul thing going. It should be a rude awakening to Barta (not that this should have been it considering the past 10 years, but Barta is a moron) that what he has isn't working and will only continue to get worse if he doesn't do something soon. Unfortunately, he now has 2 kids on scholarship and what a **** show it'll be to watch either way (fired or not). Can't wait.

Reactions: heitclone

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Hey, but the Twins were going to go to Auburn! I mean they just beat them to the punch, despite this not being reported anywhere. Just what some people were saying.
Maybe they still are - perhaps DME has a game scheduled there this season.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
I, for one, think that Iowa IS doing it the right way. I think that Fran should continue recruiting "under-the-radar" guys (with zero to 2 stars) and fill the rest of his roster with Riley Till types. I also love that he features his own kids "front and center," not to mention that amazing 12-14 player rotation. Keep it up Fran, keep it up. Oh, and Gar Bar, I hope you feel the same way I do. I think it's time that MadFran get another extension, and time for him to make another Championship Defense video!

Cy4Lifer

Dec 21, 2010
It is funny but we've had the same stuff happen here, there were CPR loyalist who would never turn on him (some are still here but don't pop their head up anymore) despite the writing on the wall, hell you can go back to the Gmac days and there were people blindly defending the steaming pile of a program he created. It resulted in the same "you're not a real fan" type of pissing matches that are going on over there.

I will say there is a difference though, we were upset about our programs struggling and rightfully so. I think they have that too but they also have more and more of them coming to the realization that its not just ISU fans that see Iowa as the inferior program in the state. Losing Carton stung but they are used to playing second fiddle to Ohio State, Foster was a reality check for a lot of them and he definitely didn't sugar coat his reasons for picking ISU. Throw in the fact that they have no shot with the next big in state recruit and things are looking grim.

Who is the next big in-state recruit?

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Some fans will always have the mentality that if you talk bad about a program or coach then you aren't a fan. Those people lack common brain functionality, so I wouldn't worry about those opinions.

Fran got extremely lucky that Iowa has produced OK/decent talent over the past 10 years. He has failed to recruit outside the state of Iowa with a few exceptions, and even failed on some of his best talent (Uthoff, and slightly with Jok until they were the only offer). Most didn't have any other decent offers so they chose Iowa or were Iowa fans, but he's lucky they were decently talented. They have kept him good enough to appease some of the fans and have had good stretches - but ultimately the wheels fall off and his poor coaching and development have killed him. His inability to recruit is mind blowing and laughable for a Power 5 conference, and the fact that he has 2 kids on the team is going to make it even harder to get rid of him.

Foster would have made Iowa better, no doubt, but in the end he would have kept this status-quo of being decent enough to keep Fran but bad enough to lose by 15 to Depaul thing going. It should be a rude awakening to Barta (not that this should have been it considering the past 10 years, but Barta is a moron) that what he has isn't working and will only continue to get worse if he doesn't do something soon. Unfortunately, he now has 2 kids on scholarship and what a **** show it'll be to watch either way (fired or not). Can't wait.

Fran was lucky that he had several years of a very soft B1G as well. Several of his "good seasons" were fools gold.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron