Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
So fouling him may be an option? that 22% maybe a Royce White type number (too lazy to look) but it was always an adventure when he was shooting free throws. Loved Royce but it was hold your breath time when he'd shoot free throws.

If he’s in the game, I don’t know if we’ll have to worry about being to the point where we’d have to foul.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
That is not good at all. Every single guy in the class for Iowa is a "cross your fingers and hope he's good" type of guy. Saw that this is the worst basketball class for Iowa since 2007-2008. That class then went a combined 49-78 the next 4 years
I looked at both their 2007, and then 2008, recruiting classes. 2007's top recruit was Jarryd Cole. He should have been a role player at best - but was a starter in his final 2 seasons on bad Iowa teams. He averaged 8 ppg & 6 rb/g as a starter. Not exactly amazing stats for your best recruit. In 2008, it was Matt Gatens - he actually was a very good player. The other recruits that year? Anthony Tucker (averaged about 10 a game for 2 years), Devan Balwinkel (1-3ppg- ouch!!), Jermain Davis (4 ppg in only one year - ouch) and Aaron Fuller (a sometimes starter - and poor shooter - who averaged just under 10 a game before transferring). These were not very good classes, but most of those recruits at least had "stars" & other P5 offers.

McCaffery's recruiting this year has sunk below Lickliter levels.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
For how long is MadFran under contract? It looks like he wants to get fired and just collect his millions while he tries to get his blood pressure under control. How else could you interpret this recruiting?

• Funny
Reactions: StClone

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
He’ll still manage to go 8-8 from the line against us though, because that’s what always seems to happen with bad shooters against us.
That seems to be the trend lol. It'll be interesting to see if he plays much next year for them. Garza, Nunge, and Pemsl will all still be there unless one of them transfers.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Here's a juicy quote from HR:
"Very happy we got Ogendele. He has the build and size to play in the BIG, something that concerned me about Foster. Josh has a very soft shooting touch and can shoot from range. Is also very athletic."

This person was concerned that 7'0" 225 pound Xavier Foster wouldn't be big enough to play in the Big 10. Lol Also to the second bolded part.. really? Really?

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Bossi has a blog of signing day going on today and has two players with EIU interest mentioned.

Having taken official visits to Georgetown, Iowa, and Minnesota, Sibley will pick between the three. When he does remains up for debate. He told Rivals.com that he could sign before the early signing period closes on November 20, but if he doesn’t, could commit a week or two later.
The Hoyas had some of the momentum earlier this fall and while, if I had to pick one school for him, it would be Georgetown,

And no he doesn't think is as good as Foster. Surprise, surprise.

Iowa and Fran McCaffery suffered a tough loss earlier this week when coveted in state prospect Xavier Foster chose Iowa State. Undaunted, the Hawkeyes bounced back quite quickly landing big man Josh Ogundele.
A native of England, Ogundele is a true center with good hands and the southpaw is developing. During play with BABC in Nike's EYBL, Ogundele was a productive rebounder and showed good touch around the rim.
At Iowa, it will be about getting into the best shape possible and consistently scoring on the interior. Is he Foster? No. But, he's a pretty good fallback plan on short notice and could be one of those guys that surprises once he has access to college coaching, strength and conditioning.
He joins a class that includes three-star guards Ahron Ulis and Tony Perkins along with prep school forwards Keegan Murray and Kris Murray.
-- Bossi
https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/early-signing-period-live-blog

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
"Very happy we got Ogendele. He has the build and size to play in the BIG, something that concerned me about Foster. Josh has a very soft shooting touch and can shoot from range. Is also very athletic."

This person was concerned that 7'0" 225 pound Xavier Foster wouldn't be big enough to play in the Big 10. Lol Also to the second bolded part.. really? Really?
They’re doing their best to spin it.

Iowa’s recruiting for 2020 is just brutal. No way around it.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
They’re doing their best to spin it.

Iowa’s recruiting for 2020 is just brutal. No way around it.
Yeah I know. Looking at their thread there are actually quite a few people that are calling it like it is, with others trying to justify and not see it clearly. I know this happened to me a bit when we got Beverly and Brase. I kept trying to look for the good things about them and clouded out the negatives.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
"Very happy we got Ogendele. He has the build and size to play in the BIG, something that concerned me about Foster. "

I see three things going on with 1) buffering Foster's loss in the post, 2) I think that poster was talking big, big bulk not just height. (not an illegitimate view but overstated) 3) Poster is unaware tall, big, athletic types (ala Shaq) are supremely rare.

Talented 7' footed, we got him they don't.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Malou would have been great here
After the Kansas kid got approved I immediately thought about Manny. Still feel like that young man got royally hosed.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

This is one thing I love about Fosters highlight reels. They are like 3/4 of him just crazily blocking shots. From behind, 1:1, on fast breaks, on 3 pointers, just blocking everything. He has great timing and he can actually get off of the floor when he jumps. Something Iowa fans know nothing of.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
With a day off, I’m getting caught up. This was an actual post on hr.

Randy Peterson does nothing for the Register other than promote all things ISU. He doesn't offer news. He doesn't offer tempered, reasoned analysis. He only boosts the clones like he is on ISU's payroll. I remember him writing an article GUARANTEEING Lazard would get drafted. I remember him writing an article talking this ISU football team being special, nationally prominent, and ready to compete for a Big 12 title. Well . . . they're 5-4. And after every loss he writes an article that sounds like they just won.

Look at his twitter. He tweets out the same story over and over and over and over again so they will get clicks and get on the trending page of DMR's website (which coincidentally is only ISU articles). He has tweeted that XF story like 5 times.

Liestekow doesn't do the same thing. In fact, I listened to a podcast with Liestekow last week where he said flat out the Iowa basketball team would struggle this year and would be a success if they won 18 games. He was not boosting the hawks, he was offering reasonable, objective analysis.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
This is one thing I love about Fosters highlight reels. They are like 3/4 of him just crazily blocking shots. From behind, 1:1, on fast breaks, on 3 pointers, just blocking everything. He has great timing and he can actually get off of the floor when he jumps. Something Iowa fans know nothing of.
Having him and Conditt on the floor at the same time is going to be dangerous for guys attacking the rim. That kind of front court length is something I doubt we've ever had.

• Agree
Reactions: LLCoolCY

Artic Zone

Jul 12, 2017
With a day off, I’m getting caught up. This was an actual post on hr.

Randy Peterson does nothing for the Register other than promote all things ISU. He doesn't offer news. He doesn't offer tempered, reasoned analysis. He only boosts the clones like he is on ISU's payroll. I remember him writing an article GUARANTEEING Lazard would get drafted. I remember him writing an article talking this ISU football team being special, nationally prominent, and ready to compete for a Big 12 title. Well . . . they're 5-4. And after every loss he writes an article that sounds like they just won.

Look at his twitter. He tweets out the same story over and over and over and over again so they will get clicks and get on the trending page of DMR's website (which coincidentally is only ISU articles). He has tweeted that XF story like 5 times.

Liestekow doesn't do the same thing. In fact, I listened to a podcast with Liestekow last week where he said flat out the Iowa basketball team would struggle this year and would be a success if they won 18 games. He was not boosting the hawks, he was offering reasonable, objective analysis.

okay he’s not wrong that randy is an idiot but so is chad.