Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

Mick Mars

Mar 19, 2017
I would argue that he coached that “loaded” roster to a 30-5 Elite 8- many coaches have screwed up talent like that. Did he recruit them? No. Did he have the ability to recognize Lohaus wasn’t a back to the basket post and move him outside where he could use his perimeter shooting skills? Yes. Let Horton do the dirty work inside where he was more suited. Also took Gamble from the 4 and made him a shooting guard to great success. Both Gamble and Lohaus owe solid NBA careers to TD being able to figure out what George couldn’t.
As others have mentioned, the Big 10 was great in the ‘80’s/‘90’s- it’s a shell of that now.
Fran’s inability to figure out the portal demonstrates he recruits like it’s 1994.
And Davis had some class- Fran is a moron. He would coach circles around Franny.

Mick Mars

Mar 19, 2017
So you are saying the potential is there that he could stay two more years and in spring 2025, be 25 years old and playing against a freshman who is still 17 . . . 8 year difference IN COLLEGE.
I believe so- he redshirted one of his four college years, so has one left for that, plus a COVID year. What else is he going to do?

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
I believe so- he redshirted one of his four college years, so has one left for that, plus a COVID year. What else is he going to do?

Fitting that he may be the last of his kind. It's going to hurt Iowa when they can't have abnormally old players on their roster. It's been a niche they've benefited from.

JBo
CMac
Rebraca
PMac

Even some other weird redshirt/extra year situations with guys like Fredrick, Nunge, the Murray twins, etc.

CyCity

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2014
West Des Moines
It’s not fair to say until things shake out and it’s speculation, although information speculation, at this point.
I didn’t realize the initial part wasn’t public yet. He was involved in a tragic accident where he hit a pedestrian as the driver. The pedestrian is still alive but not in good shape. The details and circumstances around the accident are what is the speculation.

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018
I didn’t realize the initial part wasn’t public yet. He was involved in a tragic accident where he hit a pedestrian as the driver. The pedestrian is still alive but not in good shape. The details and circumstances around the accident are what is the speculation.

This has literally nothing to do with Iowa basketball. Now I get that they are going to be really bad this year and had very little success recruiting this offseason both HS and in the portal so there isn’t much to talk about, but stuff like this doesn’t need to be gossiped about on a message board.

Reactions: tavrncy

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Yeah I was just thinking the same, he just finished his RS JR year. He should have one regular year left plus a COVID year. So maybe this is his way of saying he doesn't plan on using the COVID year...otherwise I've got nothing on why this is any kind of announcement.

Editing to add that I did kind of wonder about this, given his mental health issues this winter. Thought maybe he'd step away from the game completely, a.k.a. "retire". Or transfer down a level but stay nearby, like a UNI or Drake, maybe go hang out with Connor in Indiana and play at Indiana State or Valparaiso etc.

If he would have a more productive senior year I could see him using his covid year but if it goes like last year I think he will just want to be done.

CyCity

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2014
West Des Moines
This has literally nothing to do with Iowa basketball. Now I get that they are going to be really bad this year and had very little success recruiting this offseason both HS and in the portal so there isn’t much to talk about, but stuff like this doesn’t need to be gossiped about on a message board.
It’s not gossip and in was in regards to a player and if they would be playing basketball at Iowa.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Not that I think it’s likely, but I would guess legal ramifications.
He is a minor, and years away from graduation. Anything legal would easily be cleared up by the time Jack is ready to set foot on the carver court one would think. Unless this whole thing is kind of a last straw type of thing for Fran in Iowa City

• Disagree
Reactions: CyDude16 and CyCity

erinmd32

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2015
This has been a very loud rumor in the Iowa City area for the whole week. the news just did a crazy story defending their choice not to release names in the accident. It's a super sad deal. I feel horrible for all involved.

CyCity

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2014
West Des Moines
This has been a very loud rumor in the Iowa City area for the whole week. the news just did a crazy story defending their choice not to release names in the accident. It's a super sad deal. I feel horrible for all involved.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY and GMackey32

CyCity

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2014
West Des Moines
It will come out eventually but it’s a very odd situation with how it’s being handled. Last I knew they were waiting some results before they could move forward in the investigation.

• Agree
Reactions: cycloner29