Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
They have better basketball fans for sure, but for good reason since they have fielded a lot better teams in the last 25 years. Back in the 80s and 90s Carver was rocking. Been a long time since then, but it can happen again with the right AD and coach. Carver is rocking for wrestling meets and does really good for women's bball. So I know it can happen again for men's bball.

It's the teams. If the Iowa women can put 15,000 in the stands for a big game than it's not the fans or the arena, it's the product. The Gustafson teams had great attendance to so it's not just the Clark draw but she does (obviously) make quite a difference.

I do think that Iowa football fan loyalty and ISU basketball fan loyalty is sort baked into the cake for both schools these days. I don't think either is a "use it or lose it" like Gophers MBB. 20 years ago William's Arena was the best fan venue in this pro sports town, rivaled only by the Gopher hockey crowds which where crazy. Today, not sure how they even bring it back. Might be the perfect time to burn it all down and build a new arena, hire a coach that doesn't suck and rebuild their fan base.

Reactions: 7Got6

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
It's the teams. If the Iowa women can put 15,000 in the stands for a big game than it's not the fans or the arena, it's the product. The Gustafson teams had great attendance to so it's not just the Clark draw but she does (obviously) make quite a difference.

I do think that Iowa football fan loyalty and ISU basketball fan loyalty is sort baked into the cake for both schools these days. I don't think either is a "use it or lose it" like Gophers MBB. 20 years ago William's Arena was the best fan venue in this pro sports town, rivaled only by the Gopher hockey crowds which where crazy. Today, not sure how they even bring it back. Might be the perfect time to burn it all down and build a new arena, hire a coach that doesn't suck and rebuild their fan base.

My parents keep in touch with some people from when we lived in Nebraska and there are seriously "Husker fans" who will tell you with a straight face that they are only volleyball fans these days.

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
Theoretically, sure they could have. But it would have severely lowered the possibility. When was the last time you caught a Western Illinois game on TV? I doubt the scouts would have really bothered to notice, either. They would have been late 2nd rounders or undrafted d leaguers at best IMO.
The NBA scouts are not only watching nationally televised games.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
For anyone that say Fran isn't getting the money to recruit at a high level... apparently EIUMBB out spends FB on recruiting.

Maybe they include Fran's home and childcare costs in the MBB recruiting budget? :p

Thats unreal.

So basketball is spending $150k-$200k per commit (3 or 4 a year) while football is spending about $20k per commit (roughly 25-30 a year). They need to audit basketball recruiting

• Agree
Reactions: jcisuclones

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron