tOSU Marching band...holy crap

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I guess when opening this I assumed much worse. Yes sexually explicit nicknames may offend someone, but let's not act like they were beating them or forcing them into physical acts.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
According to SI, the band director has been fired.

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
The changing clothes in front of the opposite gender part of this was ridiculous... it kind of sounds like someone who didn't grow up in a marching band culture and their first experience with a marching band is college... plus... its college. That sounds more like a parent complained about that one than a student whose been in a travelling band setting for more than a year.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
The changing clothes in front of the opposite gender part of this was ridiculous... it kind of sounds like someone who didn't grow up in a marching band culture and their first experience with a marching band is college... plus... its college. That sounds more like a parent complained about that one than a student whose been in a travelling band setting for more than a year.

Band dork right here....

jtdoyle1

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I'm just disappointed that they didn't publish offensive lyrics for the Univ. of Iowa fight song. I guess they didn't see the Hawkeyes as enough of a threat to bother with them.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
The songs are just funny. I still have "our" (ISU band's) book of such songs for Iowa, Boise State, and a few other favorites. I still give them a chuckle to myself even nowadays, too, particularly when Iowa loses in a particularly Iowa fashion (like the Western Michigan game). Thing is, nothing in those was ever directed towards "one of our own" or any individuals save some opposing coaches and former coaches (who are public figures, middle aged adults, and millionaires who get it worse on talk radio every day anyways) and ADs.

I never really understood the want of some (not all, but some) to want to make the marching band into a nerd fraternity while I was at ISU (six years, too, four undergrad and two grad) with the heavy partying and social hierarchy. It's about the practice field, the stands, and the Jack, not the other stuff. I guess TOSU took it far beyond even that kind of thing. The nickname and "double dare" stuff is just so unnecessary and so middle school. It's so full of great people, plenty of long friendships and even marriages come out of it, you get to play fun music and be outside, it's fun for its own sake (could care less if anybody in the crowd really liked it), and you get to embody the spirit of the university. Plus, free travel to basketball tournaments and bowl games with court/field-side seats, and I never paid for a ticket to any sporting events while I was at ISU--football, MBB, WBB, or volleyball. It was awesome in so many ways.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I guess when opening this I assumed much worse. Yes sexually explicit nicknames may offend someone, but let's not act like they were beating them or forcing them into physical acts.

The article I read yesterday talked about more than just nicknames. Holding practice with everyone marching in only their underwear (practice was run by students, but staff members were also present), forcing freshmen to imitate sexual acts on the laps of upperclassmen (including making one girl do that on her own brother). It went well beyond kids using a few dirty nicknames.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
I'm just disappointed that they didn't publish offensive lyrics for the Univ. of Iowa fight song. I guess they didn't see the Hawkeyes as enough of a threat to bother with them.

I'll admit I scrolled through the others to find that

Me State

Oct 19, 2007

Why go through the effort for a team you play once every six years or so...

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
The article I read yesterday talked about more than just nicknames. Holding practice with everyone marching in only their underwear (practice was run by students, but staff members were also present), forcing freshmen to imitate sexual acts on the laps of upperclassmen (including making one girl do that on her own brother). It went well beyond kids using a few dirty nicknames.

Now that stuff crosses the line. Besides the weird fake incest thing I didn't have a problem with anything in the OPs article.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron