tOSU Band

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
I don't like tOSU at all, but their marching band is better every time I hear them. Quite the tradition there.

BigSkyCy2

Bookie
Aug 9, 2006
I'm all about the Golden Girls with the Golden Band from Tiger Land!

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
I would give just about anything to hear the ISUCFVMB at the National Championship game.

ornryactor

Jun 3, 2006
Ames
I don't like tOSU at all, but their marching band is better every time I hear them. Quite the tradition there.
Ugh. I will never understand just why everyone gets stars in their eyes over the Buckeye band: they're not that good! I hate to break it to you, but it's true, regardless of what they call themselves. They have two notable traditions to their name: the script 'Ohio' and the dotting of the 'i'. I'll give you the dotting: that's a hilarious tradition and is a nice little bit of entertainment. The script as a whole though, is very unimpressive, especially from a marching standpoint. It's not a difficult maneuver, and it's all done excruciatingly slowly (my biggest complaint with it). They're known for those two things. Their halftime shows are usually good, but no better than anyone else's. If you want to see a top-level marching band that isn't Iowa State, then go check out Illinois, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, or Virginia Tech.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
I really couldnt hear how they sounded, but i doubt theyre that great. Im not a band "nerd", but theres nothing I love more than to hear than the ISUFVMB on a beautiful fall day, It tells me that football is here!
I would say the aTm marches the pants off of tOSU.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Ugh. I will never understand just why everyone gets stars in their eyes over the Buckeye band: they're not that good! I hate to break it to you, but it's true, regardless of what they call themselves. They have two notable traditions to their name: the script 'Ohio' and the dotting of the 'i'. I'll give you the dotting: that's a hilarious tradition and is a nice little bit of entertainment. The script as a whole though, is very unimpressive, especially from a marching standpoint. It's not a difficult maneuver, and it's all done excruciatingly slowly (my biggest complaint with it). They're known for those two things. Their halftime shows are usually good, but no better than anyone else's. If you want to see a top-level marching band that isn't Iowa State, then go check out Illinois, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, or Virginia Tech.

from some recordings ive heard, they sound pretty sweet. their drill... meh... but i wouldnt really say ISU's drill is anything that special either... the highlight of both bands is really in the music theyre playing. its college band drill, its all pretty tame.

now if you want to check out a real good marching band, check out the Jacksonville State University marching southerners. high quality group there, and JSU also sponsors a drum and bugle corps, Spirit.

The Marching Southerners

check out some of their recordings there... i love Salvation and they arent too bad with firebird or russian christmas music either.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I'm sorry but as much as I like to give props to our band I honestly do believe that OSU's band lives up to their "best damn band in the land" reputation. I know you band people are proud and I like your performances but you gotta admit you can't hold a candle to their sound. For starters you have to APPLY and try out to be part of the band. At ISU if you want to be in the marching band you basically can.

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
For starters you have to APPLY and try out to be part of the band. At ISU if you want to be in the marching band you basically can.

Keep in mind that OSU also has an enrollment of 52K students compared to ISU's 26K. There may be a few more people interested in joining the marching band at OSU simply due to the larger campus population, thus the application requirement. If ISU had twice as many students, you'd probably also need to fill out an application to join the band.

That said, I'm a homer and I'll say that ISU's band rocks.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Keep in mind that OSU also has an enrollment of 52K students compared to ISU's 26K. There may be a few more people interested in joining the marching band at OSU simply due to the larger campus population, thus the application requirement. If ISU had twice as many students, you'd probably also need to fill out an application to join the band.

That said, I'm a homer and I'll say that ISU's band rocks.

There is probably some truth to that and don't get me wrong I think our band does a great job but OSU's band is definately one of the best if not the best in the nation because of that same reason too probably. They have a ton of tradition and while an outsider view might find the dotting of the I a silly thing it is a huge deal there and not just any smuck gets to do it.

heshwar

Apr 11, 2006
A huge tradition in football and an enormous student body certainly help with recruiting. I am sure they are at the point where they have to try out and people don't make it in. Where as we are not quite there (excluding drumline of course). If we had twice as many people trying out we would be quite a bit better.

you never know how the microphones are set up...i have heard some terrible telecasts before. Nothing like getting that camera guy down on the field to get the 3rd trombone player biffing his part.

But, according to my ears (assuming the recording was somehow equal) the ohio band sounded significantly better. Much better balance and intonation. Sounded cleaner and tighter also.

Drill...I don't know, I guess I would have to watch it again.