Tornado sirens and how kids today are soft

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
WHO kicks KCCI coverage all to pieces as I’m live streaming it. Just like they did last night.

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
Throw a bottle of Jack at dat sumbitch
BB3tf2oCEAASgXN.jpg

Reactions: arobb

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Seems like central Iowa could be in for an interesting afternoon.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
The point is WTF do you do when it is right on top of you. You issue watches and warnings to make people alert and paying attention. You sound the sirens or you need to have something else when it’s a get to your shelter situation.
Today and last night were proper uses of the sirens IMO. They were immediate shelter situations. The problem is they keep trying to make it a hey pay attention thing.
You'll complain about anything. I feel bad for your family.

My phone went off with a tornado warning this afternoon. I then calmly proceeded to open up twitter and search "tornado iowa". I found out the tornado was in Dallas Center and not in danger of coming towards me. Then I went about my day. It took 3 minutes.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale

My phone went off with a tornado warning this afternoon. I then calmly proceeded to open up twitter and search "tornado iowa". I found out the tornado was in Dallas Center and not in danger of coming towards me. Then I went about my day. It took 3 minutes.
Well glad stuff is working for you. I got no alerts on my phone. I got one email alert yesterday nothing today. All I got was the sirens going off with no info when I looked. Normally I get the NWS push alerts direct to my phone. I also normally get push alerts from the news apps. Finally I should get emails for watches and warnings.

The point is something isn’t working with our warning systems right now. Heck I don’t even think my parents would have known had I not called them.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
WHO kicks KCCI coverage all to pieces as I’m live streaming it. Just like they did last night.
Weird gripe but I don’t like WHOs radar as much for some reason. Can’t disagree though, KCCI does miss John McLaughlin though. WHO will definitely miss Ed Wilson though too when he retires.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa

If you have the right app it takes 3 seconds. Love the storm hunter app.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018

3 minutes is more than enough time for a tornado to destroy your home and throw you into the next county.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
F that - the Government can't tell me to Shelter in Place just because a storm is coming. It's my Constitutional right to assemble outside and view the destructive and deadly storm as it pulverizes my neighborhood.

Reactions: wxman1

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Weird gripe but I don’t like WHOs radar as much for some reason. Can’t disagree though, KCCI does miss John McLaughlin though. WHO will definitely miss Ed Wilson though too when he retires.

They luckily have 3 other staples that have been there a long time. I'm sure they'd all agree Ed will be a huge loss as well.

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
Trump said to open up the county and ignore sirens. After all there is only a small chance the F1 from Chyena will actully reach you.
Also, basements are optional as their is no proven science that being in your basement will stop the F1.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
These break-in's are annoying. We are watching 08-2 because we want to watch MASH. Give a 10 second warning or run something along the bottom of the screen. If I care, I'll turn over to the main channel.

And the weather guys sound so dumb when they just keep talking without anything to say and even when they can't show you what they want you to see. Yet, they just babble on like they we are all going to die if they stop talking.

For the record, I was not listening to Ed Wilson. I would gladly listen to him talk about anything (or nothing) "after dark."

Got 3 dislikes and 2 disagrees. Makes me wonder if folks don't like MASH, don't like criticism of babbling weather guys, or don't like Ed Wilson. ;)