Top Golf metro rumors

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Pretty much everybody that comes to town for youth tournaments, shopping, etc all stay out in the Jordan Creek area. West Des Moines also doesn't completely suck to try to get around in like Ankeny...
I think a lot of people who have tournaments at Cownie are looking for lodging a little closer than WDM. I know our whole team had reservations closer for this spring before our tournament was cancelled.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I think a lot of people who have tournaments at Cownie are looking for lodging a little closer than WDM. I know our whole team had reservations closer for this spring before our tournament was cancelled.

The tough thing with baseball tournaments is that you don't know where you play until the week of the tournament. Most do prefer the Jordan Creek area just because of the food options etc.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines

A lot of where you stay depends on if the tournament is a stay and play tournament or not. If it is, you do not get a choice as to where you stay, it is decided for you. You may want to stay near Jordan Creek, however you may end up somewhere else based on which hotels signed up to participate, and the size of your team.

If your event is a stay and play and your team doesn't follow the stay and play protocol, they are removed from the event.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
A lot of where you stay depends on if the tournament is a stay and play tournament or not. If it is, you do not get a choice as to where you stay, it is decided for you. You may want to stay near Jordan Creek, however you may end up somewhere else based on which hotels signed up to participate, and the size of your team.

If your event is a stay and play and your team doesn't follow the stay and play protocol, they are removed from the event.

Wait, I've never heard of this. So does the host team/league get a kick back on this?

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Wait, I've never heard of this. So does the host team/league get a kick back on this?
This is from a soccer tournament my daughter has played in:

This is a Stay and Play Tournament
The Stay and Play policy applies to all tournaments held at SCHEELS Overland Park Soccer Complex and GARMIN Olathe Soccer Complex. The policy states that in order to participate in a tournament event all out of town teams are required to book hotel rooms in one of several tournament-approved hotels located in Overland Park or Olathe.

All out of town teams must book hotel rooms through GCI Travel or they will not be allowed to participate in the tournament.

WHY DO YOU HAVE A STAY AND PLAY POLICY?

We are fortunate to have multi-million-dollar world class soccer facilities that were built and funded with hotel, entertainment and tax incentives. As the soccer users, for the cities and developers to invest in and build these world class complexes, we (the soccer users) agreed to contracts with the complexes and/or cities require Stay and Play for all out of town teams. One of the main reasons’ cities build world class soccer complexes like ours is because of the positive economic impact they have on their area. A big driver of economic impact is hotel nights.

This is from Iowa Rush

Hotel Information for the 2021 Rush Fall Cup

Iowa Rush has adopted a "Stay to Play" policy for all tournaments. This requires all participants (teams and guests) in need of hotel accommodations must make their reservations through TBD Travel Services. This is a complimentary service and makes securing your rooms quick and easy. It is required that teams book their housing through this service to ensure placement in this tournament.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
This is from a soccer tournament my daughter has played in:

This is a Stay and Play Tournament
The Stay and Play policy applies to all tournaments held at SCHEELS Overland Park Soccer Complex and GARMIN Olathe Soccer Complex. The policy states that in order to participate in a tournament event all out of town teams are required to book hotel rooms in one of several tournament-approved hotels located in Overland Park or Olathe.

All out of town teams must book hotel rooms through GCI Travel or they will not be allowed to participate in the tournament.

WHY DO YOU HAVE A STAY AND PLAY POLICY?

We are fortunate to have multi-million-dollar world class soccer facilities that were built and funded with hotel, entertainment and tax incentives. As the soccer users, for the cities and developers to invest in and build these world class complexes, we (the soccer users) agreed to contracts with the complexes and/or cities require Stay and Play for all out of town teams. One of the main reasons’ cities build world class soccer complexes like ours is because of the positive economic impact they have on their area. A big driver of economic impact is hotel nights.

This is from Iowa Rush

Hotel Information for the 2021 Rush Fall Cup

Iowa Rush has adopted a "Stay to Play" policy for all tournaments. This requires all participants (teams and guests) in need of hotel accommodations must make their reservations through TBD Travel Services. This is a complimentary service and makes securing your rooms quick and easy. It is required that teams book their housing through this service to ensure placement in this tournament.

Our KC hotel assignments are always a pretty long ways from the soccer venue too. Staying in the Plaza and having to drive out to Garmin is less than ideal... Or getting assigned to stay in Overland Park and play up at the Compass Minerals complex.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

Yeah, you don't always have a choice so you may not be able to choose to stay in WDM like was suggested. Not all stay and play tournaments assign the hotels; some only require that you use one of the participating hotels. They may have multiple hotels from which you can choose, some near the complex and some in WDM. And when you do have a choice, you may choose to stay close to the complex you will be playing at if you know which complex that is. We knew we would be playing in SE Des Moines so we chose a hotel that was closer to the pitches on which we would be playing.

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
CBRE owns that land now and already did the grading and utilities. Some of the old Dome driving range property now has a Caseys and medical clinic on it so now not enough room for a Top Golf.

I don't know what type of "width" TG would need to install but I would think there is plenty of space available. When viewing from a North/South perspective, they put in a road that split the land somewhere between half and thirds. The clinic and casey's you're talking about use up about 1/2 of the frontage of the smaller portion of that road. The remaining 1/2-2/3rd's remains untouched and is open from 54th street down to the retention pond near the interstate.

There is also the completely untouched lot of similar size to East of the Casey's & Clinic. I'm not sure if CBRE still owns it but I've heard rumblings of a large headquarters going in. That potentially could have changed though with the 'rona.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
Knock off Top Golf eh?

Looks to be a new start-up

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Knock off Top Golf eh?

Looks to be a new start-up
We're truly a "minor league" town lol

I skimmed the article and it seems Top Golf was consulted for the design of the facility, plus it will use the same tracking technology that Top Golf uses (and owns).
I'm guessing it will look very similar.

Hopefully they build that area up. It seems like that area floods every couple of years. Just ask West Grand Golf, who probably isn't too excited this place is coming in next door.
Beach Girls on the other hand..

• Haha
Reactions: JONNYB1708

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
So I won't be able to hit more than a 5 iron? Psh

If it's like Top Golf I think the balls are a little dead - unless you absolutely smash it you won't make it to the net.

Our KC hotel assignments are always a pretty long ways from the soccer venue too. Staying in the Plaza and having to drive out to Garmin is less than ideal... Or getting assigned to stay in Overland Park and play up at the Compass Minerals complex.

We play in this KC tourney through Rush every spring and fall. Our hotels are usually really close to the fields. That said, usually 3 or 4 kids don't stay at the team hotel so they must not be too hardcore about it. Also they like to schedule games on Sunday morning at the crack of dawn so you're staying down there anyway.

Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
If it's like Top Golf I think the balls are a little dead - unless you absolutely smash it you won't make it to the net.
This facility will use real golf balls, unlike Top Golf.
I don't see anything in the article that says they'll limit the clubs you can hit.

Johnson said experts from Top Golf worked with backers of Suite Shots to design a facility.
However, several differences exist between Suite Shots and Top Golf, he said. Suite Shots will provide real golf balls to guests rather than limited-flight balls. Also, the first level of the facility will be geared toward golfers and include an indoor putting room with putt-view technology that illuminates the track the ball needs to follow to fall into the hole. Included on the first level will be a learning academy and simulators for golf and other activities.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Interesting. I kind of hate golf, but I did top golf in KC last year and honestly had a good time. I hope they can approximate that experience.

Help Support Us

Become a patron