Top Golf metro rumors

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
I guess it depends on where you live and where you're going. Let take two places right next to the interstate.

In Johnston, the new Caseys off 100th.
In Waukee, the new Kum and Go on Grand Prairie Parkway.

I'm just going to pick random places in different areas of town and test them out with light traffic (right now)

Ankeny-Mistress Brewing
J=23 minutes
W=31 minutes

Des Moines-Airport
J=24 minutes
W=23 minutes

Windsor Heights-515 Brewing
J=14 minutes
W=12 minutes

Des Moines-Lua Brewing
J=16 minutes
W=16 minutes

Altoona-Bright Side Aleworks
J=21 minutes
W=29 minutes

Indianola-West Hill Brewing
J=35 minutes
W=34 minutes

Grimes-Fortune Garden
J=10 minutes
W=17 minutes

Polk City-Fenders Brewing
J=17 minutes
W=24 minutes

Des Moines Fairgrounds-Craft Beer Tent
J=20 minutes
W=21 minutes

WDM-Fox Brewing
J=17 minutes
W=16 minutes

As someone who recently moved to the south side, I kind of agree with you. While Johnston (where I work) is physically closer to my home than Waukee, Waukee is much easier to get through. I'm either driving right through the middle of the city or I have to drive my ass around the entire city.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Now lets pick a place that's a lot harder to get to in town

Johnston=Johnston Soccer Complex
Waukee=Kinship Brewing

Ankeny-Mistress Brewing
J= 16 minutes
W= 37 minutes

Des Moines-Airport
J= 30 minutes
W= 32 minutes

Windsor Heights-515 Brewing
J= 18 minutes
W= 21 minutes

Des Moines-Lua Brewing
J= 18 minutes
W= 24 minutes

Altoona-Bright Side Aleworks
J= 22 minutes
W= 35 minutes

Indianola-West Hill Brewing
J=39 minutes
W=42 minutes

Grimes-Fortune Garden
J= 13 minutes
W= 14 minutes

Polk City-Fenders Brewing
J= 12 minutes
W= 26 minutes

Des Moines Fairgrounds-Craft Beer Tent
J= 21 minutes
W= 29 minutes

WDM-Fox Brewing
J= 22 minutes
W= 24 minutes

I agree that Johnston feels further away from certain places but it's usually mostly fast interstate so the time is comparable. I would have never guessed that it's faster to get to Johnston from Indianola than Waukee.
It also always throws me off that a place like BarnTown is considered WDM.

Last edited:
Reactions: AgronAlum

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Clive is unique as they really don't have many apartments as compared to any other suburb. Johnston has more expensive homes but is bigger. No one statistic could prove a point
It's pretty much a wash but Clive also has a little bit higher median home price.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
If you look at actual location proposed and something close (I used Blue Rhino for Waukee) and Paglia's Pizza for Johnston. Here are a few of my results

Des Moines Airport
W - 18m
J - 24m

Indianola
W - 32m
J - 34m

Fairgrounds
W - 21m
J - 18m

WDM Jethros
W - 8m
J - 13m

Adel
W - 16m
J - 30m

Ankeny Jethros
W - 23m
J - 13m

Chicken Coop (Grimes)
W - 10m
J - 12m

Carlisle
W - 25m
J - 24m

Really does depend where you cherry pick, but this is a pretty good representation from around the metro to the actual proposed location for Waukee and the one suggested as better for Johnston. Johnston "feels" tougher to get to even though that may not be reality. Perception is reality sometimes though.

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
Clive is unique as they really don't have many apartments as compared to any other suburb. Johnston has more expensive homes but is bigger. No one statistic could prove a point

There are currently 41 homes available in Clive and 38 homes available in Johnston. 29 of the homes in Clive are listed for over $400,000 and 12 of the homes in Johnston are listed for over $400,000.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Johnston is an interesting town. Really nice in some areas, but also has some pretty janky neighborhoods.

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
Weird suburb beef going on in here, are we getting a Top Golf or no?
Until I see a formal announcement, I'm working under the assumption that the answer is no. I know the people involved with the KeeTown Loop development in Waukee have really wanted a TopGolf as part of the project or in an adjacent area, but it has seemed to be more effort/hope than getting done. But maybe they've finally gotten over the hump recently and we'll hear something soon.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Until I see a formal announcement, I'm working under the assumption that the answer is no. I know the people involved with the KeeTown Loop development in Waukee have really wanted a TopGolf as part of the project or in an adjacent area, but it has seemed to be more effort/hope than getting done. But maybe they've finally gotten over the hump recently and we'll hear something soon.

I would be shocked if we get a TopGolf. One of the spin off type places seems more realistic but who knows. IMO one thing that could really help with this is the new sports complexes in West Des Moines and Grimes. Those are going to bring a lot of people to town year round and they are always looking for other things to do while they are here.

Reactions: Cytown12

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
So what's this?

Seems like simulators to me. Although the news article saying "covered, heated bays" makes it a little nebulous.

Also, 36 bays seems much smaller than a traditional TopGolf.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids

Seems like simulators to me. Although the news article saying "covered, heated bays" makes it a little nebulous.

Also, 36 bays seems much smaller than a traditional TopGolf.

That confused me as well.

Wtf is a Tiffin?

Tiffin is a bedroom community for Iowa City. Clear Creek Amana high school is there. It has boomed and is basically the new North Liberty now.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Toptracer is the launch monitor tech that Topgolf uses in some of it's locations, looks like Omaha doesn't have it. I've only been to the KC one that has Toptracer, but it looks like Topgolf without Toptracer just tracks which target your ball goes in but doesn't show any ball flight or data.

So the one in Tiffin would be the full experience, although smaller with only 36 bays.

• Informative
Reactions: wxman1

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
So what's this?

It looks like a device of sorts that tracks metrics on your golf swing.

Help Support Us

Become a patron