Top Gear

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Thread bump.

Now that the US Version has been on a while, what do people think?

I love it. It's my favorite show on television right now.

Reminds me of those quirky Car and Driver magazine articles where they used to create weird little challenges between the writers and then document the fun they had competing.

Yeah, it's a bit over the top sometimes and maybe the formula will go stale eventually, but right now I'm liking it a lot.

Never really got into the UK version so not saying it's better or worse; just that I think it stands on its own as very entertaining.

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
The guys they have on it are a bit comic-y for my taste compared to the British counter parts.

BigDog

Apr 15, 2012
Fort Dodge, IA
I am a huge fan of the American Top Gear! I have also been getting into Swamp People. I know they are completely different, but you should check them out they are pretty good!

cy1010

Dec 16, 2009
I like it. The British version is a little too British-y for my liking.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I think the US guys are a bit more cheesy than their British counterparts. But they still do some funny stuff.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I like Tanner and Rutledge...Adam is okay in small doses. I don't care much about the make up of cars or really anything to do with things under the hood. I just like watching the stunts.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
I think if I had never seen the British version I would really like this show, but I can't help but compare the US version to the British version and the British version wins hands down.

I still like the show though. I don't see the need for Tanner, seems like a d bag without much of a personality.

HARMCYN

Jan 20, 2012
Cambridge, IA
The UK version was only 14 episodes, though. It didn't have a chance to get THAT bad.

And yes, a lot of them started off the same, but as the series has gone on, a lot of them have been almost TOO "fleshed out" to keep it fresh. All the clever surprises are gone, and now it's turned into a formulaic dramedy.

I'd also say that Ricky Gervais > Steve Carrell in this particular role. For some reason he just comes off as a much more credible guy to actually exist as a manager. One of the beauties of the UK version is that you really didn't to suspend your disbelief very much at all. These were all characters that you could really see existing. The US version has gotten to the point where it's almost impossible to expect that a guy like Michael Scott actually would make it that long at a branch office in a company.

Plus the Pam/Jim thing really stinks. There's no tension there anymore, which was what made the show interesting. The minute they got together, I think the shark was jumped for the office.

The Best episodes involved the Jim/Pam tension as well as Jim ruthlessly pranking Dwight, which hasn't happen in seasons

cy1010

Dec 16, 2009
I think if I had never seen the British version I would really like this show, but I can't help but compare the US version to the British version and the British version wins hands down.

I still like the show though. I don't see the need for Tanner, seems like a d bag without much of a personality.

I like him more than the comedian dude who sucks at everything.....and isn't funny.

MidwestZest

Apr 22, 2006
Sycamore, IL
I'm with you Bigman. I think it would be a hit if i didn't know what I was missing.