Top Five Funniest Movies

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
how can you have the royal tennenbaums and bottle rocket, but NO Rushmore?

Only because I forgot about it. I would actually rate Rushmore as 2nd only to Bottle Rocket, but definitely ahead of Life Aquatic and Royal Tennenbaums.

It's been brought up obviously, but Anchorman would probably be in there somewhere too.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
2 that could have easily made my list were

Summerschool with Mark Harmon. Just a nice memory from when I was younger
Back to School with Rodney Dangerfield. Breakout hit for Sam kineson. Probably the hardest I have ever laughed during a movie when Sam went of on Rodney and Rodney fired back. Classic moment.

linkshero

May 22, 2008
Ames
2 that could have easily made my list were

Summerschool with Mark Harmon. Just a nice memory from when I was younger
Back to School with Rodney Dangerfield. Breakout hit for Sam kineson. Probably the hardest I have ever laughed during a movie when Sam went of on Rodney and Rodney fired back. Classic moment.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6JLHZ3eJZs]YouTube - BACK TO SCHOOL - Sam Kinison teaches class[/ame]

Cyclones01

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 23, 2008
Urbandale
Top 5 (no order)

Dumb and Dumber
Office Space
Ace Ventura
Mystery Men
Night at the Roxbury

Others

Dirty Work
The Hangover
Wayne's World 1&2
Tommy Boy
Black Sheep
Mrs. Doubtfire

and a couple of my favorites that people probably either love or hate (or haven't seen)

McHale's Navy
Sgt. Bilko

Last edited:

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
I'm posting this before reading anything in the thread other than the OP:

In no particular order:

The Big Lebowski
Uncle Buck
Dumb and Dumber
Animal House
Baseketball

EDIT: I just remembered "Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb"

How has that one not even been mentioned yet? Dump Baseketball from my list and add that one.

Last edited:

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
1) Dumb and Dumber "yeaaahhh, he must work out!"

2) Shaun of the Dead "you've got red on ya"

3) The Big Lebowski "that's just like your opinion, man"

4) Grandma's Boy "what's that ringing noise?! do i have a tumor?!" "phone's for you, I think it's the devil!"

5) Happy Gilmore "the price is wrong *****!"

Dumb and Dumber has to be the greatest comedy of all time, I don't understand how it's not number 1 on everybody else's lists! It's genius! Shaun of the Dead is different and kind of a dark comedy but it's probably the most creative of all of them, how they fit all the jokes together. Plus I love English humor! The Big Lebowski, enough said! Grandma's Boy, everyone loves one incredibly stupid/stoner comedy and Grandma's Boy tops that list! Sorry Harold and Kumar and Half Baked! Happy Gilmore, anyone in my generation has to love one Adam Sandler movie!

The movie that just barely missed the list:
Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Dumb and Dumber is great, probably in my Top 10-15, but I just find the situations and dialogue to be a little more predictable, and not as funny as what I put in my top 5. I'm not saying it isn't funny, because it definitely is.

I guess, I don't laugh at it quite as much as I did when I was 10, whereas, say the Blues Brothers or Caddyshack make me laugh so hard I cry no matter how many times I see them/hear them quoted/quote them.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
Dumb and Dumber is great, probably in my Top 10-15, but I just find the situations and dialogue to be a little more predictable, and not as funny as what I put in my top 5. I'm not saying it isn't funny, because it definitely is.

you're the antichrist.

I guess, I don't laugh at it quite as much as I did when I was 10, whereas, say the Blues Brothers or Caddyshack make me laugh so hard I cry no matter how many times I see them/hear them quoted/quote them.

two of the most overrated movies of all time - people say they think they're funny just to be in the cool classic movie club. Caddyshack is the Nickelback of comedies.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
Austin Powers 3
Christmas Vacation
Dumb and Dumber

Could spend most of day watching these 3

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
Some that haven't been mentioned..or one, buuuuuuuuuut

The Sleeper with Woody Allen in it. Pretty damn funny movie. Also has a 100% from RottenTomatoes.com.

What do some of the other movies mention get from the same site?
Old School = 60%
Dumb and Dumber = 62%
Napoleon Dynamite = 71%
Caddyshack = 76%
The Jerk = 83%

And so on...

ALSO, most any Marx Brothers film like Animal Crackers (95% on RT), Duck Soup (92%), etc

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
Some that haven't been mentioned..or one, buuuuuuuuuut

The Sleeper with Woody Allen in it. Pretty damn funny movie. Also has a 100% from RottenTomatoes.com.

What do some of the other movies mention get from the same site?
Old School = 60%
Dumb and Dumber = 62%
Napoleon Dynamite = 71%
Caddyshack = 76%
The Jerk = 83%

And so on...

ALSO, most any Marx Brothers film like Animal Crackers (95% on RT), Duck Soup (92%), etc

do you like things because you actually enjoy them or because rottentomatos tells you to?