Top class has arrived!

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Not going to diss Burkhall but can't resist piling on Velo just a little.

"Ejim started 30 games out of 32 in his freshman campaign for Iowa State, averaging 10.3 points and 6.7 rebounds per game, shooting 48.6 percent from the field (121-249 FG) and tallied 39 steals, second-best total on the team. He became one of just 13 Iowa State freshmen in school history to average double figures in scoring, and his 214 rebounds was the third-best rookie total in school history." - Wiki stuff

Didn't remember how good he was as a freshman just how much he improved to the stud he became as a senior. Kind of funny what sticks in peoples minds.[/QUOTE]

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Not going to diss Burkhall but can't resist piling on Velo just a little.

"Ejim started 30 games out of 32 in his freshman campaign for Iowa State, averaging 10.3 points and 6.7 rebounds per game, shooting 48.6 percent from the field (121-249 FG) and tallied 39 steals, second-best total on the team. He became one of just 13 Iowa State freshmen in school history to average double figures in scoring, and his 214 rebounds was the third-best rookie total in school history." - Wiki stuff
I never said he wasn't good as a freshman. The comment was made that "she has the worst hands of anyone who has ever put on a Cyclone uniform." I was just pointing out that Ejim had terrible hands early in his career. He produced despite losing the ball frequently. It was so bad that there were constantly posters who theorized that he would quickly be replaced in the rotation his sophomore year because he muffed so many passes and couldn't pull in so many rebounds that hit him in the hands.

I wasn't slamming Ejim. He was great even early in his career but it would be interesting to see just how many passes, rebounds and loose balls hit him in the hands and he wasn't able to corral. If he could have held on to more of them he would have had an even better freshman season. If people can't remember his struggles with catching the ball from whatever source early in his career...well, selective memory indeed.

Melvin improved his hand coordination. It is unfortunate that Burkhall hasn't improved her hand coordination nearly as much.

Last edited:

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
Yes they are mutually exclusive. He had stone hands his freshman year even though he was still a good player. It’s like Nader being a great player but still driving us crazy for stepping out of bounds.

clonebb

Oct 23, 2015
Yes they are mutually exclusive. He had stone hands his freshman year even though he was still a good player. It’s like Nader being a great player but still driving us crazy for stepping out of bounds.

Since we need to compare...remember how many times Matty Ice stepped out?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Since we need to compare...remember how many times Matty Ice stepped out?
I really think Fred's coaching had a lot to do with players stepping out of bounds in the corners. Fred believed that the worst shot in BB was a long 2 and he coached his players to regularly practice 3 pointers a foot or more behind the line and to set up there as well. All of this to avoid a 3 becoming a 2 because of something as trivial as a toe on the line as well as to increase spacing. This was effective for avoiding toe on the line problem and helping to extend sharp shooters' range but it also left players with very little real estate between where they set up and shot and the OB line. Pump fake and put the ball on the deck and your foot naturally goes back to push off and get a quick drive started, but that will often be out of bounds.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
A March Iowa State Daily article kind of adds some relativity to my expectations for 2018-'19
(Bipolarcy's point too) in discussing lack of proven experience at the big 4 and 5 position. Read how two players accounted for 47% of the team's scoring last season and one of them is gone.
http://www.iowastatedaily.com/sports/article_36210f12-2afa-11e8-9d94-83cdcbb4c06e.html

Until shown otherwise it's still going to be a guard driven team. Hopefully someone can step up and guard the post in Big 12 play. Scott will get her blocks if she can get minutes but I am not an astute enough observer to pass judgement on her defense against big posts.

And you just don't know who is favored with minutes from game to game over the past five years or so. Some players never grab bench no matter what and others are one error away from the doghouse. At times it's just really odd to watch who gets a free pass and who is subject to benching. I worry that with even more choices (assumed depth) that it might just become so chaotic there will be no rhythm and continuity. Going to be an interesting season.

Last edited:
  • Optimistic
Reactions: geewago

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
Until shown otherwise it's still going to be a guard driven team. Hopefully someone can step up and guard the post in Big 12 play. Scott will get her blocks if she can get minutes but I am not an astute enough observer to pass judgement on her defense against big posts.

And you just don't know who is favored with minutes from game to game over the past five years or so. Some players never grab bench no matter what and others are one error away from the doghouse. At times it's just really odd to watch who gets a free pass and who is subject to benching. I worry that with even more choices (assumed depth) that it might just become so chaotic there will be no rhythm and continuity. Going to be an interesting season.

This is not just an ISU issue. Watch a number of women's games and you see the same players playing the most minutes. With the depth we are getting I would like to see use more players and use more pressure on "D" and run teams out of the gym.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
This is not just an ISU issue. Watch a number of women's games and you see the same players playing the most minutes. With the depth we are getting I would like to see use more players and use more pressure on "D" and run teams out of the gym.

Guessing that is not going to happen. Pressure D means risking fouls and that doesn't seem to be something that fits into Bill Ball. We are more of a walk and gun a three than a run and gun team trying to get to the hoop (IMHO).

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Until shown otherwise it's still going to be a guard driven team.

I worry that with even more choices (assumed depth) that it might just become so chaotic there will be no rhythm and continuity. Going to be an interesting season.

Guard driven yes. In the article they discount Mill's at post for the season. So what we have is Burkhall, Scott and newbie Kane at f/c. We should be sound with Middleton, Wise, Camber, Scott, Burkhall and rock Carleton. Add two more very sound guards in Frederick and Joens, chaos should be avoided. If that turns into wins is the question.

Last edited:
Reactions: acoustimac

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Listened to CW's off the record podcast with BF actually got me enthused about watching the ladies this fall. Was going to watch anyway but I'm actually sipping a little Koolade about this team actually being competitive again. That would be good we haven't been for a while.

• Friendly
Reactions: StClone

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Guessing that is not going to happen. Pressure D means risking fouls and that doesn't seem to be something that fits into Bill Ball. We are more of a walk and gun a three than a run and gun team trying to get to the hoop (IMHO).
Agree on the pressure D. I do not think we have the quickness for more defensive pressure. However, if we can rebound I think we will run on offense. We have struggled some shooting the ball. Getting increased transition looks will help us. I think this will be the best team we have had in years. Optimistic. Not likely a conference champ contender, but somewhere in top 4-5. Hopefully the new players will help a lot. Until we show that we can create off the dribble, we may struggle with scoring. We have not been good at half court offense. If you cannot create off the bounce, it’s hard to keep passing it around until you find a shot. We need to push the pace on offense, and hope we have some creators.

• Friendly
Reactions: StClone

Help Support Us

Become a patron