NFL: Top 5 WR to Build Your Team Around

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015
Have heard a few debates come up recently about top WRs in the game currently.

If you're building a team from scratch today from the pool of NFL WRs, what does your Top 5 look like for your draft board at the WR position? Keep in mind the player's current age (not just them in their prime), temperament, leadership, etc. Assume offensive system fits their strengths also since they're an essential piece to your team.

My Top 5:
DeAndre Hopkins (26 y/o) - Great talent where the career stats could be much better to this point had the QB position not been a carousel for the past several years. Just entering his prime age-wise. Never hear too much about him off the field for issues.
2. Michael Thomas (25 y/o) - Good size. Becoming more dominant each year, and is still early in only his third season in the league.
3. Tyreek Hill (24 y/o) - I think he has to be in the discussion. Earns his twitter handle and nickname "cheetah"...and can actually catch too. All around weapon.
4. Adam Thielen (28 y/o) - Certainly a little bias here as a Vikings fan, but appears to have become an elite route runner and seems to snag the tough ones too.
5. Julio Jones (29 y/o) - Pause just slightly almost being to the dreaded age 30 mark for skill position players. Four straight (to be five this year) 1,400 yard seasons. Had to put either Julio or Antonio Brown here. Leaned to the slightly younger option, how many years after 30 can these guys perform at the top? Maybe more than I'm giving credit for.

Left off: Brown - Age as mentioned above, Green - Age, OBJ - Unstable, Allen - No specific reason; probably underrated/gets forgotten about.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

If you're building a team from scratch today from the pool of NFL WRs, what does your Top 5 look like for your draft board at the WR position? Keep in mind the player's current age (not just them in their prime), temperament, leadership, etc. Assume offensive system fits their strengths also since they're an essential piece to your team.

My Top 5:
DeAndre Hopkins (26 y/o) - Great talent where the career stats could be much better to this point had the QB position not been a carousel for the past several years. Just entering his prime age-wise. Never hear too much about him off the field for issues.
2. Michael Thomas (25 y/o) - Good size. Becoming more dominant each year, and is still early in only his third season in the league.
3. Tyreek Hill (24 y/o) - I think he has to be in the discussion. Earns his twitter handle and nickname "cheetah"...and can actually catch too. All around weapon.
4. Adam Thielen (28 y/o) - Certainly a little bias here as a Vikings fan, but appears to have become an elite route runner and seems to snag the tough ones too.
5. Julio Jones (29 y/o) - Pause just slightly almost being to the dreaded age 30 mark for skill position players. Four straight (to be five this year) 1,400 yard seasons. Had to put either Julio or Antonio Brown here. Leaned to the slightly younger option, how many years after 30 can these guys perform at the top? Maybe more than I'm giving credit for.

Left off: Brown - Age as mentioned above, Green - Age, OBJ - Unstable, Allen - No specific reason; probably underrated/gets forgotten about.

If it's an expansion team then I'm scratching off Hopkins and Jones because I don't want to spend big on a wide receiver until other more high priority positions have been addressed. I'm looking at guys with #1 receiver upside on rookie deals - Smith-Schuster, Golladay, and Corey Davis off the top of my head.

Reactions: cyhiphopp

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa

My Top 5:

You'd like my fantasy team. Jones/Hill/Thomas (plus Gurley).

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Chiefs fan here. Tyreek is nice but eventually that speed will slow and he is undersized for a WR1. He's fantastic to have right now though.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Nuke. Nuke. Nuke. That's really the only answer here.

I like Michael Thomas alot and he's got all the physical make up of an elite WR. He just goes ghost mode too much, too regularly for me. It seems like he is a lot like Julio in his production, will have a 4 catch 65 yard drive, then not touch the ball for 2 and a half quarters. ( I know this is somewhat on QB too)

I love Theilen, but I do think his success is heightened because he has a player like Stefon on the other side of the ball getting a lot of attention as well.

A couple young guys who are sleepers/wild cards for me are - Cortland Sutton and Corey Davis (wish he had a QB who could actually throw)

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm and STATE12

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015
Chiefs fan here. Tyreek is nice but eventually that speed will slow and he is undersized for a WR1. He's fantastic to have right now though.

Really is a blast to watch! Was a little surprised to hear his name a few weeks ago in this discussion too (still thought him as more of a gadget), but if you look at it through the lens of talent to not only make my team explosive now but into the future too I think he deserves consideration. Brown and Jones are still among the fastest and most effective at WR, and are currently 6/5 years older. Size doesn't concern me as much as maybe a few years ago with how these rules are removing hits and moving to a more wide open game. If he can stay healthy, have to think he'll be must-see TV for the next several years!

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
Nuke. Nuke. Nuke. That's really the only answer here.

I like Michael Thomas alot and he's got all the physical make up of an elite WR. He just goes ghost mode too much, too regularly for me. It seems like he is a lot like Julio in his production, will have a 4 catch 65 yard drive, then not touch the ball for 2 and a half quarters. ( I know this is somewhat on QB too)

I love Theilen, but I do think his success is heightened because he has a player like Stefon on the other side of the ball getting a lot of attention as well.

A couple young guys who are sleepers/wild cards for me are - Cortland Sutton and Corey Davis (wish he had a QB who could actually throw)

Michael Thomas has the record for most catches for first two years in the league. He also has almost 50 catches this year averaging over 100 per game. I'm really not sure what else you are wanting. Those are elite numbers. Maybe he goes "ghost" because he is so good, and gets doubled.

Reactions: srjclone

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Michael Thomas has the record for most catches for first two years in the league. He also has almost 50 catches this year averaging over 100 per game. I'm really not sure what else you are wanting. Those are elite numbers. Maybe he goes "ghost" because he is so good, and gets doubled.
Yeah, and Adam's last 2 years are as good as probably anyone as well. If DeAndre Hopkins had Drew Brees as a QB I'd love to see the numbers he could put up.

isubeatle

Aug 9, 2006
Des Moines
I think Devante Adams should be considered. I'm biased as a Packers fan but the dude has been a freak the past 2 seasons. He hasn't gone over 1000yds in a season yet but he's getting better and better each year. Even with Rodgers out most of last year and Hundley throwing to he still has a decent year.

His ability to get open is amazing.

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
I think Devante Adams should be considered. I'm biased as a Packers fan but the dude has been a freak the past 2 seasons. He hasn't gone over 1000yds in a season yet but he's getting better and better each year. Even with Rodgers out most of last year and Hundley throwing to he still has a decent year.

His ability to get open is amazing.

Davante Adam's is a very good WR but I wouldn't put him top 5.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman