Top 3 Living Baseball Players

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CloneFan65

Apr 11, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Ricky Henderson has to be in the list. I think he overall might be one of the greatest of all time, the guy could do everything.

Rickey be Rickey. The greatest lead-off hitter ever. Sure he's flaky, but I've never seen anyone have as much impact for his team on a daily basis as Rickey.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
As far as active players, I was thinking about Manny. Take a look look at his career stats highlights on Wikipedia...pretty impressive...

bostrem00

Feb 23, 2009
Des Moines
Mine would have to be:

Living
1. Willie Mays
2. Sadaharu Oh-Japanese baseball legend, check the stats, very impressive.
3. Sandy Koufax

All Time
1. Ty Cobb
2. Roberto Clemente
3. Cy Young

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I think both Mike Schmidt and Cal Ripken, Jr would have to be in this conversation as well. Neither are going to be one of the best living 3 (just like George Brett), but I'd at least put them both in the conversation.

CloneFan65

Apr 11, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
I think both Mike Schmidt and Cal Ripken, Jr would have to be in this conversation as well. Neither are going to be one of the best living 3 (just like George Brett), but I'd at least put them both in the conversation.

I've always thought Ripken was underrated because of the Streak. He was such a great player who really changed the perception of what a SS can do. And all you hear about is the consecutive games streak. I'm not saying it's not a remarkable accomplishment, but it sometimes overshadows how good he really was.

zdorr40

Apr 3, 2006
Des Moines
Visit site
Living (in no particular order)
1) Nolan Ryan
2) Rickey Henderson
3) Willie Mays

Ever:
1) Ruth
2) Mays
3) Cy Young (511 wins is a record that will NEVER and I emphasize NEVER be touched)

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
Living (in no particular order)
1) Nolan Ryan
2) Rickey Henderson
3) Willie Mays

Ever:
1) Ruth
2) Mays
3) Cy Young (511 wins is a record that will NEVER and I emphasize NEVER be touched)

Interesting that Cy is way down the line in winning pct. His durability was rediculous though. His loss number is as safe as his win number. How many Cy Young awards did he win? :biggrin:

Colorado

Aug 29, 2008
Colorado
Living:

Willie Mays
Pete Rose
Nolan Ryan

Still active:
Albert Pujols
Manny Ramirez
I can't come up with a 3rd...need a pitcher

Clonegrad07

Jul 22, 2008
North Carolina
I would have to throw Sandy Koufax back in the mix... I didn't mention him before... He's one of the toughest guys ever to pitch... he and Bob Gibson... both great points... But man... Koufax... this was a quote from his catcher during game 7 of the 1965 world series... made me forever love this guy:

"Sandy's arm was giving him problems in that last World Series game. He couldn't get his breaking ball over the plate. So I finally went out and said, 'Sandy, what's going on?' He said, 'I can't throw the goddamn curveball.' I said, 'Well, what are we gonna do?' He said, '**** it! Let's just blow it by 'em!' ""

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
I would have to throw Sandy Koufax back in the mix... I didn't mention him before... He's one of the toughest guys ever to pitch... he and Bob Gibson... both great points... But man... Koufax... this was a quote from his catcher during game 7 of the 1965 world series... made me forever love this guy:

"Sandy's arm was giving him problems in that last World Series game. He couldn't get his breaking ball over the plate. So I finally went out and said, 'Sandy, what's going on?' He said, 'I can't throw the goddamn curveball.' I said, 'Well, what are we gonna do?' He said, '**** it! Let's just blow it by 'em!' ""

The only problem with Koufax as an all time best is that he was mediocre to promising for almost 10 years and then remarkable for like 4. It would have been nice to see him last longer at that pace.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Nolan Ryan was just a freak of nature. A guy who pitched 100 mph on a regular basis AND his career lasted for some two decades? I'd say without argument he's the best pitcher still living to ever pitch the game...