JStanz51

Sep 24, 2013
Ames, IA
Iowa State is among the top-seven for one of the nation’s top 2021 combo guards.

Kansas City, Kan. native, and IMG Academy student, Tamar Bates announced his top-seven schools on Monday with the Cyclones, Creighton, Kansas, Missouri, Oregon and Alabama making the cut.

Bates, a 6-foot-4, 175-pound four-star prospect, is considered the No. 113 player in the country, No. 8 combo guard and No. 14 player from Kansas in the 2021 recruiting class. He also held offers from major programs such as Kansas State, Colorado, Oklahoma, Northwestern, Oklahoma State, Texas and Virginia Tech.

Tamar Bates C/O 2021 Piper High School @tbates_11 @piper_hs pic.twitter.com/qtyYs9CyzX— Tyrone Bates, Jr. (@batesfam53) January 24, 2020

Iowa State currently holds one commitment in the 2021 recruiting cycle in...

Continue reading...

Reactions: Snydes and aauummm

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
May want to add a 0 to the title. Had me all excited!

Would still be a great get.

Edit: My bad, you are saying Top 10 CG in the nation. I for some reason figured you were talking about Top 10 overall.

Gibbon

Aug 20, 2013
Ames
Don't want to get too excited about this one. Obviously he's a take, but he's ranked in Jakolby Long/ Terrence Lewis/Zion Griffin territory. Prohm hasn't had great luck with fringe 4-star guys (so far)

He has a KU and Oregon offer along with 10 other high major offers, a good national ranking, and good tape. Yes, not every recruit ranked around 100 is going to end up being a hit, but to not get excited about the possibility of this recruit joining Iowa State because of past recruits is like thinking you have an 80% chance of flipping heads when a coin lands on heads three times before.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
He has a KU and Oregon offer along with 10 other high major offers, a good national ranking, and good tape. Yes, not every recruit ranked around 100 is going to end up being a hit, but to not get excited about the possibility of this recruit joining Iowa State because of past recruits is like thinking you have an 80% chance of flipping heads when a coin lands on heads three times before.
That's stupid. Everyone knows it is going to land tails because the chances are really poor that you are going flip heads four times in a row.

In case it is needed... :jimlad:

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: Gibbon and ILikeCy

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
That's stupid. Everyone knows it is going to land tails because the chances are really poor that you are going flip heads four times in a row.

In case it is needed... :jimlad:
Are we talking about theory or practical reality? With or without aberrations, edge cases, or external influence?

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I get your point, but after decades of following recruiting, I don’t get excited about that possibility of a recruit joining Iowa State. I’ve learned not to invest any expectations whatsoever when it comes to the thought processes and priorities of a sixteen or seventeen-year-old.

Now, once they actually commit—that’s a different story. But I don’t fully invest until a LOI is in hand—or even In some cases, until enrolled In classes. :cool:

Gibbon

Aug 20, 2013
Ames
I get your point, but after decades of following recruiting, I don’t get excited about that possibility of a recruit joining Iowa State. I’ve learned not to invest any expectations whatsoever when it comes to the thought processes and priorities of a sixteen or seventeen-year-old.

Now, once they actually commit—that’s a different story. But I don’t fully invest until a LOI is in hand—or even In some cases, until enrolled In classes. :cool:
Good point, I agree. "Excited" can definitely be a relative term when it comes to the different stages of recruiting.

Reactions: Aclone