Tony Stewart may have hit/ran over someone

QCCyclone

Feb 10, 2013
Not surprised by this, but Stewart isnt racing this weekend. I highly doubt he races the rest of the year.

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cu...rint-cup-race-michigan-international-speedway

This would be his best option from a PR standpoint. I think the public wants to see that this tragic accident truly did affect him. Racing right away is immediately going to give a lot of people the notion that he simply doesn't care that the accident ever happened. I'm not saying that's my opinion, but that seems to be the mindset of a lot of his haters.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
There may be as many as $100 million reasons why Tony won't retire between all of his sponsorship deals for him and SHR. Not saying that should be the deciding factor to him coming back but we all know money talks.

My overall dislike for Tony aside, I'd say he's probably the least likely to do anything just for money. That's the one thing I respect him for.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Can't tell if he was hanging on. I assume they were talking about hanging on to the top of the wing? The car definitely did not jump, so the part about being ran over doesn't add up. Did Ward get hung up on something on Stewart's car?

I don't think Tony has any idea at this point in time if he should retire or not. He can't be in any mental state to make that decision right now and he shouldn't make that decision now.

He has had a couple of tough years and he loves the sport of racing so much.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I have no idea how significant this is but the DA will pass the case on to a grand jury "in the near future" but will not take a position on the issue. Very strange. No official link yet but just announced.

I'm a little shocked its going this far.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I have no idea how significant this is but the DA will pass the case on to a grand jury "in the near future" but will not take a position on the issue. Very strange. No official link yet but just announced.

was just reading and apparently that's how it works in New York. Because it involved a death, the grand jury will decide if there is enough evidence to indict on felony charges.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha

In a case like this wouldn't the DA present their findings to a grand jury to determine whether there is evidence to support an indictment?

Edit: Cowgirl types faster than I do.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
was just reading and apparently that's how it works in New York. Because it involved a death, the grand jury will decide if there is enough evidence to indict on felony charges.

I see. I was curious if this was a major announcement or a formality.

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
finally over. Well until Wards family sues him for wrongfull death.

Now that the grand jury has not charged Stewart with anything, I find it hard pressed that you will find anybody that will give the Ward family money for a wrongful death suit. It might be different if Stewart was charged from the grand jury and found not guilty- then the Ward's may have some legs to get a monetary sum from Stewart.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Now that the grand jury has not charged Stewart with anything, I find it hard pressed that you will find anybody that will give the Ward family money for a wrongful death suit. It might be different if Stewart was charged from the grand jury and found not guilty- then the Ward's may have some legs to get a monetary sum from Stewart.

You dont know many lawyers do you?

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

They will go after it. Stewart feels bad about this and will settle for a decent sum of money.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014

Never underestimate the inconsistencies between the criminal and civil court systems of the United States.....

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
They will go after it. Stewart feels bad about this and will settle for a decent sum of money.

I agree. He could fight it tooth and nail and have his reputation drug through the mud the whole time, costing him legal fees all the while, or he could take essentially the same money and make it go away relatively quickly. I hate, hate, hate settling something and paying out when you have done nothing wrong, but I understand why individuals and corporations do it. Sometimes a nuisance settlement is money well spent when you consider the cost in money and time going the other route.

vortec22

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2009
Grinnell, IA
Although, the fact the Kevin apparently had marijuana in his system may slow the civil suit a bit.