Tom Shatel: Is this the beginning of the end for Nebraska in the Big Ten?

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
But it is such a transparent and obvious an effort that I find it hard to believe any players who need to play this season would buy it even for a second.
I dont know if they are doing it for the players. They are likely doing it to try and preserve some hope with broadcast powers that be. They have to be talking to FOX, dont they?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I AGREE their end started with the retirement of Coach Tom Osborne...I absolutely could not stand Coach Osborne but I will give him credit ...Tom could both recruit and coach......

Toms end was the prop 48 end and also the scholarship changes. Nebraska had a pretty good deal going for awhile. Tom was not a clean recruiter either from what recruits in his early years have told me.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
I'm really not sure we see more realignment. Nebraska is pouting right now, but their alternatives are very limited and they get way more money where they're at than they would elsewhere. Iowa State is the only school I'd truly be interested in seeing the Big Ten adding, and that's not going to happen. And the Big 12 doesn't really have realistic options to poach, either (Colorado and Mizzou left for a reason; maybe Arkansas, but that feels like a long shot).
OMG, after this c'virus season, if the B12 plays, they will have all sorts of poaching options. Nebraska being front and center. I totally disagree with the above take. Now, whether the conference wants to expand is a completely different question, isn't it?

I've said earlier that this may be a catalyst for the Power 5 to break from the NCAA. I see others who took exception to that premise earlier are now claiming it as their own. Funny.

So far, this is all working nicely for the B12.

Reactions: aauummm

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Hells Bells guys, why don't we just get rid of Baylor and have a 9 team league with four home and four away games....What I didn't like about the Big 8 Conference was every other year of only three home games....

Reactions: keepngoal

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
OMG, after this c'virus season, if the B12 plays, they will have all sorts of poaching options. Nebraska being front and center. I totally disagree with the above take. Now, whether the conference wants to expand is a completely different question, isn't it?

I've said earlier that this may be a catalyst for the Power 5 to break from the NCAA. I see others who took exception to that premise earlier are now claiming it as their own. Funny.

So far, this is all working nicely for the B12.

You know he's a hawkeye right bob?

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Never invite them back. They are like hoks, only they wear red. I for one enjoy watching them wither on the vine.

Yeah Remo' I have relatives who live in Nebraska and last fall after the Purdue Loss er DEBACLE, They wanted Scott Frost FIRED THAT EVENING....I kid you not, these people are still living in the freaking 1970's.......

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Not sure which poster you're referencing? But won't it be fun watching Hoax fans watching ISU football this fall?
tm3308 is a hawkeye. He is upfront with that. I stay away from hawkeye fans as much as possible, very insufferable people.

• Informative
Reactions: surly

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Omaha talk radio is fun right now. They admit They do not really fit in the B1G due to academics and culture. But one caller nailed it... so, Penn State covers up pedophilia, Michigan State allows dozens of sex abuse cases, that's ok. Maryland coaches actually caused a player to die. Iowa has hid years and years of racism. But now the one thing we can't tolerate is Nebraska wanting to actually play football, THAT is what's finally over the line!

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Omaha talk radio is fun right now. They admit They do not really fit in the B1G due to academics and culture. But one caller nailed it... so, Penn State covers up pedophilia, Michigan State allows dozens of sex abuse cases, that's ok. Maryland coaches actually caused a player to die. Iowa has hid years and years of racism. But now the one thing we can't tolerate is Nebraska wanting to actually play football, THAT is what's finally over the line!
This is good... their response?

• Agree
Reactions: BCClone

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
We all know Grant of Rights (GOR) is a big deal. I've heard GOR is null and void if football isn't played. This means B1G, Pac-12 and MWC have open season against them...if this is true. How many schools would want to jump? VERY few. Maybe 1 in B1G and 2-4 in Pac-12.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
We all know Grant of Rights (GOR) is a big deal. I've heard GOR is null and void if football isn't played. This means B1G, Pac-12 and MWC have open season against them...if this is true. How many schools would want to jump? VERY few. Maybe 1 in B1G and 2-4 in Pac-12.

Maybe that is the spring deal. If they say they are doing spring, that just moves the season and forces the teams to stay in.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Maybe that is the spring deal. If they say they are doing spring, that just moves the season and forces the teams to stay in.

Could be but I'd guess it won't happen unless Big 12, SEC and ACC are able to pull off most of their season.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

It’s not that they “want to play football”, every school wants that. It’s that they tried to pull a move on the league and they aren’t Ohio State.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I'm really not sure we see more realignment. Nebraska is pouting right now, but their alternatives are very limited and they get way more money where they're at than they would elsewhere. Iowa State is the only school I'd truly be interested in seeing the Big Ten adding, and that's not going to happen. And the Big 12 doesn't really have realistic options to poach, either (Colorado and Mizzou left for a reason; maybe Arkansas, but that feels like a long shot).

Nebraska is just posturing for the boosters who will need to keep that athletics department afloat until next fall.

I think the Big 12 found the sweet spot at 10 teams for conference cohesiveness and scheduling, and I would be really surprised if there is any internal move to change that barring other events.

Reactions: amishclone

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

I think it's a long shot YOU (B1G) see it but I think the big 12/Pac 12 could be a situation eventually depending on what happens out west,. Who knows what post covid or really desperate covid times could look like. The NCAA landscape could be totally different in a few years.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
It’s not that they “want to play football”, every school wants that. It’s that they tried to pull a move on the league and they aren’t Ohio State.

Which is obviously much worse than systematic racism, mass rape and child molestation.