Tom Shatel: Is this the beginning of the end for Nebraska in the Big Ten?

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
This. They have the fan base already on board, their flex was premature because they currently aren't in the position to bargain but when the GOR is in play, they'll have a little more power.

The B1G already watered themselves down with Maryland and Rutgers, I'm not sure there are a ton of realistic options for them that are better than Nebraska. UT and OU aren't going there for the same reasons Nebby wants out, way too much ego. No one is leaving the SEC, so they have to hope to blow up the ACC or Big 12?

The Pac12 will be the conference thats poached next.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
August 2019: 'Students first'.

March 2020: 'Get out there and do what you came here to do!'

I don't think it works out just by too many moving parts literally and logistically for the schools that are trying to play but if it does work out, I'd imagine there will be victim playing like no other from the B1G and a whole lot of 'well at least our schools care about the players' narrative from B1G fans that didn't share that sentiment in other aspects of Covid.
I didn't hear a single person on the radio yesterday who thought there would actually be spring football. I think a lot of factors went into the b1g's decision, but I don't think they thought through the whole spring football thing very well.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I didn't hear a single person on the radio yesterday who thought there would actually be spring football. I think a lot of factors went into the b1g's decision, but I don't think they thought through the whole spring football thing very well.

You think it won't be at least 45/50 degrees and the ground won't be frozen in March? It would have to be after March madness and if they want to finish before Memorial day with ten games, they would have to start by the first of April. That would be one rainy muddy mess. Many people forget that April is one of the wettest months typically (or at least seems to be) and it is quite often a cold rain that I would want no part of.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Seeds have been planted, this isn't over. They are only stuck under the GOR until 2023. Thats just 2 years, with 1 year of NO FOOTBALL across the state of Nebraska. I could see protests in the streets.
Are they really going to protest missing out on being the Big 10 *****?

In 1999 maybe, but the past couple decades should have them subdued. This is just another step in their journey to being Minnesota.

• Disagree
Reactions: Macloney

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
The Pac12 will be the conference thats poached next.

I agree but is that realistic for the b1g? Or is it a domino effect, Big 12 gets poached, then poaches the pac? What does ND do? Would the b1g want to span 4 time zones? Their expansion the last 30 years has been strictly to states that border their footprint. I can't see them deviating from that but post covid, who knows, it will probably be an even bigger money grab so everything may be out the window.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I agree but is that realistic for the b1g? Or is it a domino effect, Big 12 gets poached, then poaches the pac? What does ND do? Would the b1g want to span 4 time zones? Their expansion the last 30 years has been strictly to states that border their footprint. I can't see them deviating from that but post covid, who knows, it will probably be an even bigger money grab so everything may be out the window.
Well technically we would too if we raided the PAC12 but it’s way different because it’s just WV to the east. And let’s be honest no one cares what they think nor really do they have a say. They are lucky they got in when they did and likely know it as well.

Reactions: heitclone

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
IMO any "Texas and Oklahoma to Big 10" talks DIED on Monday. They don't want to be in the spot Nebraska is currently in.

UT was NEVER going to the Big 10, because the LHN is part of ESPN, and BTN is part of fox. ESPN has already lost money on LHN and they have to hope that in the final 10 to 12 years they can recoup some of that lost money.

OU if given a choice will move to the SEC, they could balance out the conference by being placed in the Eastern division, there problem is that they have already stated that were they go, OSU also go, so would the SEC take both of them? Maybe. The Big 10 would never allow in OSU and their horrible academics, they are not much above WV and TT.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Big 10 teams are REALLY REALLY REALLY going to push the spring football narrative to save as much face as possible. If they don't, you could see mass transfers or horrible incoming recruiting

But it is such a transparent and obvious an effort that I find it hard to believe any players who need to play this season would buy it even for a second.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
This. They have the fan base already on board, their flex was premature because they currently aren't in the position to bargain but when the GOR is in play, they'll have a little more power.

The B1G already watered themselves down with Maryland and Rutgers, I'm not sure there are a ton of realistic options for them that are better than Nebraska. UT and OU aren't going there for the same reasons Nebby wants out, way too much ego. No one is leaving the SEC, so they have to hope to blow up the ACC or Big 12?

KU would be more than happy to go over there and be a football *****. You know it, I know it.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I'm surprised it hasn't been talked about it more but this whole situation could really give legs to the P5 breaking away and forming it's own league. The NCAA has given zero guidance through all of this and it's pretty obvious that the conferences didn't work well together to figure this out. If you crunch the numbers I would even wager that from a financial standpoint everyone would be better off and the money would be optimized.

• Agree
Reactions: motorcy90

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
KU would be more than happy to go over there and be a football *****. You know it, I know it.
But would Kansas basketball survive a full season of Big 10 basketball and Big 10 basketball officiating? I'm surprised the Big 10 hasn't gone to the NBA's 6 fouls for disqualification rule for their galoot posts.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I'm really not sure we see more realignment. Nebraska is pouting right now, but their alternatives are very limited and they get way more money where they're at than they would elsewhere. Iowa State is the only school I'd truly be interested in seeing the Big Ten adding, and that's not going to happen. And the Big 12 doesn't really have realistic options to poach, either (Colorado and Mizzou left for a reason; maybe Arkansas, but that feels like a long shot).

• Agree
Reactions: Die4Cy

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Shatel and Nebraska arrogance. Takes me back to growing up in the 90's in Western Iowa. Except they were actually winning back then. Yuck!

• Informative
Reactions: CyBobby

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron