Tom Shatel: Is this the beginning of the end for Nebraska in the Big Ten?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

Seems like the big ten is the one who is throwing a fit because they had a different agenda than the rest of the P5s. They are the ones who went "rogue" and now are upset that people aren't working together. Somebody needs to tell them, hey big ten, you are the ones not wanting to work together.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I wonder if incoming freshman at Big 10 or Pac 12 schools can get out of their LOI? If you were a highly rated guy you'd think you'd want to play.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

It's the Jerry Maguire gif posted earlier to an absolute tee. They thought they'd do this and everyone would follow, and instead every said "yah, we're actually good", and they are left looking silly.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
Yeah, maybe your commissioner shouldn't have broke from the group to announce conference only just so the Big 10 can look like it's leading CFB around by the nose. You can't just "work together" when it suits you.

Nebraska fans represent the biblical definition of the word hypocrite. They are independent, unless it involves tier 3 programming on the Longhorn Network...

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Hey hawkeyes: We'd take Alaric Jackson off your hands for the fall. I mean, he's going to opt out of the spring anyway (if there IS a spring season).

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Big 10 teams are REALLY REALLY REALLY going to push the spring football narrative to save as much face as possible. If they don't, you could see mass transfers or horrible incoming recruiting

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
AKA we sought divorce but it was to expensive and couldn’t get any tail if we tried so we now need to make living with the current woman halfway civil but everyone in town knows we hate each other.

Last edited:

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Absolutely. There is a 0% chance the B1G and PAC play in the spring. There have already been so many former plays speak out against it. Playing spring ball and then turn around and have a summer camp and fall season gives the players no time to get healthy and work on their bodies. It won't fly.
Yeah I don't know how your commissioner can spout off about "making every decision based on the health and well - being of our athletes" and then have two seasons of football in a 9 month span.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Seeds have been planted, this isn't over. They are only stuck under the GOR until 2023. Thats just 2 years, with 1 year of NO FOOTBALL across the state of Nebraska. I could see protests in the streets.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I mean, it's the team you want to beat the worst, but our biggest conference rival is K-State, and it's not even close. ISU/Nebraska is not a rivalry - we just hate them.
If Nebby moved to the B12 I would want to beat them the most out of any team. Independant of ranking, of course. I always want to beat the highest ranked team.

Reactions: WhoISthis

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Seeds have been planted, this isn't over. They are only stuck under the GOR until 2023. Thats just 2 years, with 1 year of NO FOOTBALL across the state of Nebraska. I could see protests in the streets.

This. They have the fan base already on board, their flex was premature because they currently aren't in the position to bargain but when the GOR is in play, they'll have a little more power.

The B1G already watered themselves down with Maryland and Rutgers, I'm not sure there are a ton of realistic options for them that are better than Nebraska. UT and OU aren't going there for the same reasons Nebby wants out, way too much ego. No one is leaving the SEC, so they have to hope to blow up the ACC or Big 12?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
This. They have the fan base already on board, their flex was premature because they currently aren't in the position to bargain but when the GOR is in play, they'll have a little more power.

The B1G already watered themselves down with Maryland and Rutgers, I'm not sure there are a ton of realistic options for them that are better than Nebraska. UT and OU aren't going there for the same reasons Nebby wants out, way too much ego. No one is leaving the SEC, so they have to hope to blow up the ACC or Big 12?

The powers of the big ten OSU, Mich, PSU are still in the thought that they are in the dominant states for college football. What they have going is they are in the old press states and with college rankings, the old press still has clout. When you look at the big ten east, they are slow growth states. NE is actually, percentage wise, the fastest growing state in the whole conference. The west is faster growing, but the power lies in the east which is still stuck in the 60s/70s/80s mentally. We hold onto TX and OU and that is where we want to be.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Yeah I don't know how your commissioner can spout off about "making every decision based on the health and well - being of our athletes" and then have two seasons of football in a 9 month span.

August 2019: 'Students first'.

March 2020: 'Get out there and do what you came here to do!'

I don't think it works out just by too many moving parts literally and logistically for the schools that are trying to play but if it does work out, I'd imagine there will be victim playing like no other from the B1G and a whole lot of 'well at least our schools care about the players' narrative from B1G fans that didn't share that sentiment in other aspects of Covid.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum