Tom Shatel: Is this the beginning of the end for Nebraska in the Big Ten?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Big 10 played with 11 teams for at least a decade. I understand that people are still mad at Nebraska and I enjoy seeing them twist in the wind a little. But, if it came down to it, I'd be all for letting them back in and having an 11 team conference. Play 9 and you get a year off from 1 team a season. Like it or not, Nebraska would more than hold their own when it came time to negotiate the next round of TV rights. It's not like adding CSU.

9 doesn't work, you would have to play 8

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
I'd take NE back only at a reduced revenue share for 20-25 years. They can pay for the right to rejoin. With 3rd tier media rights, the big 12 offers NE much more than they offer the Big12.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
No way.

10 teams although not likely because $$$ should be the model for how conferences compete.

I don't care who comes in but it needs to be a swap.
I would swap Baylor or TCU for NU. We have too many Texas schools in the conference.

But we also need to understand we dont make this decision. Texas, and to some extent OU, will decide if NU will get to play B12 teams in the near future, if that is really the path NU chooses to go down.

• Disagree
Reactions: Lineup

20eyes

May 15, 2020
The Mid-South?
I always liked the old Big Ten logo with the 11 hidden in the font. We could go back to the Big 8 and hide the 1 and 0 in the 8. That's still better than having fewer teams than your name suggests, imo. Or add UNL and call it The Big 11...

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
We're in a great position to stay exactly where we are with 10 members in our conference. Why fans continue wanting to bring in Colorado St, New Mexico schools, and now Wyoming, is beyond me.
10 teams with full round robin in FB and double with home and homes in BBall is so freaking spot on. I got to a lot of games, and its the ideal scenario.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I always liked the old Big Ten logo with the 11 hidden in the font. We could go back to the Big 8 and hide the 1 and 0 in the 8. That's still better than having fewer teams than your name suggests, imo. Or add UNL and call it The Big 11...

Big 11 is too hard to group chant if, in fact, you get into a group chant competition with fans from another conference.

• Funny
Reactions: 20eyes

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
I'd take them back if for no other reason to show ESPN and every other conference we have stability. If Nebby left a conference considered stable for the Big 12 it would change the narrative.

Trading baylor for nebby is a no brainer!

I like the 10 team round robin for sure, but wish it was the big 8 plus 2.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
10 teams with full round robin in FB and double with home and homes in BBall is so freaking spot on. I got to a lot of games, and its the ideal scenario.

Revenge game scenarios whether year to year or within season make it way more interesting.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
It’s a weird article. They don’t have options, no one else is taking them. They need to shut up and get in line, this is what they signed up for.
Yeah, a huge narrative when they left was that they wanted a conference where all the teams were equal (I disagree that's why they left and that all the teams are equal in the big 10, but whatever). Well, a downside to that is that sometimes your side loses. I'm sure that a lot of Nebraska fans have enjoyed saying "elections have consequences" and "suck it up, buttercup" over the past four years. Well Nebraska, now it's your turn

Big 10 played with 11 teams for at least a decade. I understand that people are still mad at Nebraska and I enjoy seeing them twist in the wind a little. But, if it came down to it, I'd be all for letting them back in and having an 11 team conference. Play 9 and you get a year off from 1 team a season. Like it or not, Nebraska would more than hold their own when it came time to negotiate the next round of TV rights. It's not like adding CSU.
The other way you could do it (and I think this would work well) is to have 5 permanent opponents and have the other five teams on a rotation where you swapped one out every two years. In Iowa State's case, our permanent opponents could be Kansas, Kansas State, WVU, Oklahoma State, and Nebraska, and our rotating opponent would be Oklahoma (1), Texas Tech (2), Texas (3), Baylor (4), TCU (5).

Our 2021 and 2022 schedules would be our our permanent opponents plus Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Texas, and Baylor. Our 2023 and 2024 schedules would be our permanent opponents plus Texas Tech, Texas, Baylor, and TCU etc.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I can't see Colorado coming back. Boulder is waaaaay more of a fit with the PAC culturally than the likes of Texas, WV, etc.

Arizona and Arizona State would be down for a Covid party of tens of thousands though.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron