Tom Shatel: Is this the beginning of the end for Nebraska in the Big Ten?

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Big 10 played with 11 teams for at least a decade. I understand that people are still mad at Nebraska and I enjoy seeing them twist in the wind a little. But, if it came down to it, I'd be all for letting them back in and having an 11 team conference. Play 9 and you get a year off from 1 team a season. Like it or not, Nebraska would more than hold their own when it came time to negotiate the next round of TV rights. It's not like adding CSU.

Ignoring the context of what happened a decade ago, yes, Nebraska would likely be the best option to add another team to the conference. But that, in and of itself, should dispel any notion of Big 12 expansion. They have a good thing at this point, and adding Nebraska in 2020 is not like adding Penn State in 1990. And for as weak as that star is right now compared to where it once was, it only seems likely to keep getting dimmer.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
As a piece of advice, you don’t want to go to a game in Lincoln. The fan base is more obnoxious than even Iowa fans and the stadium is a dump

I went there in a brutally cold game to watch Iowa win the division whatever year that happened. The stadium looks amazing from the highway. Inside it's a weird labyrinth of small concourses to get to your seat, and much like everything else there it was probably fantastic in the 80s but not so much now.

• Agree
Reactions: Frak

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I love how this is Howard's reaction to this. Dude, the Big 10 has schools that have had multiple, decades long child rape scandals. But Neb wants to play football and that really gets his dander up.
They weren't part of his Big 12! I bet he'd say the same about Rutgers and Maryland too

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I am looking to date Jessica Chastain, Natalie Portman, and Scarlett Johansson, but it isn't happening.

Eventually everybody is going to get sick of their antics.

Stay the **** away from my girlfriends dude :jimlad:

• Optimistic
Reactions: Cyched

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.
The comment section from the article was interesting. A number amazingly feel their UN degree is drastically more respected since they joined the Big10. Other than NW and Michigan, I don't recall any employer I worked for saying-- "Wow, that's a Big10 grad!"

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Why can't you play 9 games? 5 home, 4 away one year, 4 home, 5 away the next year. Rotate a team off the schedule every 2 years. Allow teams to keep 3-4 rivalry type games every year.

Because when you multiple two odd numbers you get an odd number. 11x9=99. Means we'd have to play 49.5 games.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Would they really be welcomed back with 'open arms'?
Honestly yes I think they would be. it's not going to happen because Nebraska isn't going to change conferences but if they were to want to come back to the big 12 The presidents wouldn't look at it from the emotional perspective of fans. They would look at it from a business perspective and see that Nebraska likely brings in more then enough revenue to the conference to justify the additional revenue split.

Reactions: dahliaclone

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
I could see current events altering the future of realignment. The pac-12 was a mess before this, this can’t help.

Remember when we used to hear that UT to the Pac12 was a threat? This confirms to any UT decision maker that culturally/politically they should have no interest.

Is there any doubt this strengthens the Big 12? I’m relieved that the Big 12 is playing, with UT and OU leading the push to play.Let’s use this as a time to secure the future past the GOR by damaging the Pac12 and Big 10.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America