Tom Manning a candidate for KU FB job

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
I think someone at his age would want to make sure it was the right job so he could have some longevity in his career. Going to KU and flaming out like other coaches could be bad news for him for the rest of his career.
Yeah I would agree but the thing with most coaches is they all think they are the guy that will get it turned around. Even at a school with that history.

That and with has been stated above guessing he will get a contract with quite a few years at very good money. Not easy just to turn that life-changing/family set for future situation down.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
No offense, but that's what they have always said about Iowa State as well. I think the main difference is Kansas does not have the fan support for football that we have had.
Or support from their AD. Have you been to the stadium? It's ******* terrible. They don't care about their football program and why Tom would want to go where he isn't appreciated is beyond me. We had just pumped millions into the stadium. This is not apples to apples. It's apples to a cardboard box with a homeless person's poop in it.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
Or support from their AD. Have you been to the stadium? It's ******* terrible. They don't care about their football program and why Tom would want to go where he isn't appreciated is beyond me. We had just pumped millions into the stadium. This is not apples to apples. It's apples to a cardboard box with a homeless person's poop in it.
They just hired a new AD. Yes, in the past they haven't invested in it. However, there was a point where we weren't investing in ours either. Leadership can change a lot.

Reactions: I@ST1

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
Oof, KU's HC job is still open? It's been like 2 months, and they are just now starting to name a few candidates?

I guess it did take awhile to get the new AD settled in, and I'm sure they (and Self's new lifetime contract) had to spend a few additional weeks cleaning up the leftover ADIDAS bags before in-person interviews take place.

Reactions: chadly82

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
They just hired a new AD. Yes, in the past they haven't invested in it. However, there was a point where we weren't investing in ours either. Leadership can change a lot.
I see what you're saying but the football program at the Kansas University is never, ever going to be a priority to their AD. It's just not.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
Smart move for him to get his name out there. No way in hell he takes that job with this timing but this is probably the start of him positioning for jobs next year. Another stellar season under his belt and there will be the usual crop of decent openings to go after.

Reactions: jeffcloneinomaha

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
No offense to Tom, but who is he going to assemble as his staff? Again, it would be super un-wise for KU to keep hiring this way. (I hope they do, just not with Manning) KU really ought to let the interim coach play out the year. They should hire after the season.

If I was KU, I do exactly what ISU did, poach an entire staff from the MAC, etc...

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
If I was looking for my 1st head coaching job it sure as hell would not be that coaching graveyard at KU. Look at all the high profile guys that failed there already, as long as BB is king at that school you may be lucky enough to get a good year or 2 like Mangino did but for the most part that program just churns through coaches with basically the same outcome. Their facilities suck and they have no appeal to recruits because of that and their lack of sustaining any kind of winning culture. I would wish for a lot better opportunity than that dumpster fire for Manning when he does take a HC job some day.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
I'd say that is a good sign for Iowa State. If he's willing to look for a head coaching job, then it must not be as likely that Campbell jumps to the NFL next year. Seems like if that was the assumption, Manning would stick around as possibly the heir apparent for the Iowa State job.

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
I feel that if Manning were ready to leave, it would be wise for him to wait until after this season. Get another successful season under your belt, and you can get a lot better job.

I am sure Manning has aspirations to be a head coach, so its only expected that his name may begin to pop up in such searches.

And also likely a situation a little better suited for success. The turnaround at KU would have to be nearly identical to ISU. Can't see Manning going out of his way to try to do that kind of turnaround job (again) against the coaches he did it with the first time.

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
I think someone at his age would want to make sure it was the right job so he could have some longevity in his career. Going to KU and flaming out like other coaches could be bad news for him for the rest of his career.

There's a lot of good actors. Most of the great ones have good agents and are mindful about the roles they take on.

loyalsons4evertrue

Sep 18, 2020
I would hate to be a coach at KU. Good school, but in terms of the facilities, there are high schools with better one's. They put absolutely no effort or money into their football program.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I figured Baby Ferentz would be the ideal candidate. Keep the "Iowa" connection going in Kansas. Just 85 miles from other "Iowa" connection.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
this is a very good year for manning to 'prove it' with the offensive weapons he has.

could have much better pool of teams next off season for a head coach.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I would hate to be a coach at KU. Good school, but in terms of the facilities, there are high schools with better one's. They put absolutely no effort or money into their football program.

It's probably been around 10 years since I last went to a game at KU but I can't imagine the FB facilities have improved significantly since then. They have no game day atmosphere around the stadium either, you basically have to find a frat house parking lot or someone's yard to park in if you want to tailgate. Their fans don't care about FB, heck many times we have more fans at the game than they do when we play there. Just not a job that an assistant at a P5 school aspiring to be a HC some day should really take when guys who have had power P5 experience (see the list: https://kuathletics.com/kansas-football-head-coaching-history/) who have all failed there what makes you think the next guy with no previous power 5 HC experience is going to fare any better?

Reactions: t-noah