Tom Hill to retire

RyCy04

Sep 26, 2007
Omaha, NE
I'm not familiar with Tom Hill but what is Danny Glover doing on campus?
540c93feacbdc.image.jpg

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa

Seriously why the "good riddance"? He seemed like a good guy to me, and the other posters also appear to have that impression.

He was involved in the decision to close down VEISHA, right? Is that it?

This also reminded me of this good story about him. Olympic bronze medal, nice family story, etc.

http://ethosmagazine.org/2014/the-unseen-life-of-tom-hill/

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
He always seemed like a good guy and would always be out interacting with people at events. Really puzzled by some of the hatred for him on here, he didn't end VEISHEA the behavior of some students did. Also, interesting side not is that he was an olympic athlete. Never realized that until I was reading a story on how he got rid of his diabetes the other day.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Hill_(athlete)

19clone91

Nov 21, 2013
Denver, CO
His niece was a good friend of mine at ISU. Great guy and great family. Dont understand where the hate is coming from?

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
Awesome guy, enjoyed my interactions with him, use to always hello to me on campus and knew my name but he hated veishea...

Hopefully this his means a reinvented version of veishea can come back in the future.

GottaTri

Jul 26, 2012
Every interaction I had with him I am remembering as positive from my college days. I think he is a good guy from my perspective.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
So it looks like 1 "good riddance" vs about 10 "good guy" comments.

2015, anything in particular, or just the Veishea cancellation issue?

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Really good guy who was dedicated to his job and served Iowa State admirably. There's been a rumor for a year or so this was coming and it was time.

Thanks to him for everything and I hope we find an excellent replacement for him.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
he didn't end VEISHEA the behavior of some students did.

Yeah... no.

While some small, small minority students were idiots, ISU never really explored preventative solutions and the 'committee' they had that should have been exploring that was set up to railroad the end of veishea from the start. Lessons were learned after 04 that were applied for the first few years (like different police responses, different things ISU could do to draw people onto campus, etc) , but they were forgotten\ignored after the first few years again. Had ISU explored ways they could have prevented this happening again and stuck to those solutions it could have gone on just fine. Its not like ISU is the only school that has had events that have run into issues with that... but ISU and ames police have a poor record of managing the week.

So yeah... as one of the leads for ending what was one of ISU's great traditions.... good riddance.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
I imagine VEISHEA will return during the tenure of Leath's successor. Not a knock on Leath, just saying I don't think he will bring it back but if a concerted effort makes an attempt with whoever's next they'd have a shot.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Yeah... no.

While some small, small minority students were idiots, ISU never really explored preventative solutions and the 'committee' they had that should have been exploring that was set up to railroad the end of veishea from the start. Lessons were learned after 04 that were applied for the first few years (like different police responses, different things ISU could do to draw people onto campus, etc) , but they were forgotten\ignored after the first few years again. Had ISU explored ways they could have prevented this happening again and stuck to those solutions it could have gone on just fine. Its not like ISU is the only school that has had events that have run into issues with that... but ISU and ames police have a poor record of managing the week.

So yeah... as one of the leads for ending what was one of ISU's great traditions.... good riddance.

This was my solution, but I don't think they liked it.

800px-Australian_Mounted_Police_Victoria-edit1.jpg

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Yeah... no.

Thats your opinion, mine is that it isn't the purview of a reputable University to sponsor and manage a giant drunk fest with history of property damage, several deaths, and bad press. I would like to see a university-wide celebration return, but it needs to be done in a very careful and deliberate way to avoid turning into what VEISHEA became. Also, VEISHEA was going to be cancelled with or without Tom Hill being at ISU.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Thats your opinion, mine is that it isn't the purview of a reputable University to sponsor and manage a giant drunk fest with history of property damage, several deaths, and bad press. I would like to see a university-wide celebration return, but it needs to be done in a very careful and deliberate way to avoid turning into what VEISHEA became.

I think we'll probably see individual colleges do more stuff over the next couple years. Maybe in about a decade they'll bring back a full University celebration without the name VEISHEA. That's at least what I think would make the most sense.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I'm torn here, and it sucks that this thread has to turn into a debate on who killed VEISHEA for good. I think Tom did for sure, that's why I'm conflicted.

He was a really great guy while I was in school from 02-07. Very visible and nice to everyone. Great ambassador for the university, and I thread like this should have really been in his honor. Wish he didn't kill VEISHEA so it could have been that way.