TOE Pinstripe Sales

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
Let's keep in mind Iowa goes to bowl games just about every year. Hard to blame their fans for passing on the lackluster destination and opponent.
Let’s just hope the team has this same attitude (as a Cyclone fan). It will be hard to get fired up for this game when your fans show such awesome loyalty and support. Getting blown out by BC will look a lot worse than getting blown out by Stanford. Won’t this make it 7 bowl losses/blowouts in a row? They may want to start focusing on just winning a bowl game and not focus on the prestige.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Let's keep in mind Iowa goes to bowl games just about every year. Hard to blame their fans for passing on the lackluster destination and opponent.
Lackluster? This is about average for Kirk’s tenure. He gets a bonus for 8 wins so a Pinstripe destination should be expected.

• Winner
Reactions: FinalFourCy

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Let’s just hope the team has this same attitude (as a Cyclone fan). It will be hard to get fired up for this game when your fans show such awesome loyalty and support. Getting blown out by BC will look a lot worse than getting blown out by Stanford. Won’t this make it 7 bowl losses/blowouts in a row? They may want to start focusing on just winning a bowl game and not focus on the prestige.
ISU has a bowl win more recently than Iowa. Let that sink in also.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
ISU has a bowl win more recently than Iowa. Let that sink in also.

That seems impossible. Looked it up and true. 5 game losing streak with close loss to LSU being the only non-blowout.

Outside of the 9-3 team winning Insight Bowl we've done horrible in bowls too. We played horrible in our last bowl win and only won because our Big Ten opponent Minnesota was absolutely terrible.

• Agree
Reactions: breck53

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
I guess I'm a little biased from living in Chicago for 14 years...but while I like New York when I visit for work or fun it isn't dramatically different for entertainment than Chicago. A lot of Iowa fans have Chicago ties and their campus itself is 3.5 hour drive...and they can visit Chicago when the weather is awesome and the city is bursting with excitement...not dead of winter.

The area around Yankee stadium is not fun at all to make up for it being winter. To be honest that area is kind of a hellhole with nothing to do. It's not like Wrigley, MSG or the new Brooklyn arena where you want to spend your time partying right around the venue in Wrigleyville, Manhattan or Brooklyn.

Maybe New York should build a retractable dome stadium in Brooklyn?? Went to a Yankees game a couple of years ago. The difference
between Manhattan and Brooklyn vs the Bronx is large, to put it nicely.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Maybe New York should build a retractable dome stadium in Brooklyn?? Went to a Yankees game a couple of years ago. The difference
between Manhattan and Brooklyn vs the Bronx is large, to put it nicely.

Yeah, I'd love the idea of going to an indoor stadium football game and partying in Brooklyn in the winter.

Outdoor in the Bronx, no thanks. Chicago was so dumb to not rebuild a retractable roof stadium instead of landing a space ship on top of soldier field.

AttackOfTheClones

Dec 10, 2017
Bushwood, Nebraska
www.youtube.com
I guess I'm a little biased from living in Chicago for 14 years...but while I like New York when I visit for work or fun it isn't dramatically different for entertainment than Chicago. A lot of Iowa fans have Chicago ties and their campus itself is 3.5 hour drive...and they can visit Chicago when the weather is awesome and the city is bursting with excitement...not dead of winter.

The area around Yankee stadium is not fun at all to make up for it being winter. To be honest that area is kind of a hellhole with nothing to do. It's not like Wrigley, MSG or the new Brooklyn arena where you want to spend your time partying right around the venue in Wrigleyville, Manhattan or Brooklyn.
Agree with this. We stayed in upper West side (Chelsea) while attending Iowa ST @ Army in 2005. Warm temps, I couldn't wait to get out of Manhattan. It was opening credits from Welcome Back Kotter on our entry from JFK or La Guardia (can't remember)...... the cab ride view was --graffiti everywhere. immediate turnoff so much I wasn't interested in the Statue of Liberty or Empire St building. Every urban person wore black, didn't smile. Nowhere to eat actually downtown. I enjoyed the boat tour up the Hudson to Rockefeller estate, another boat ride to a Yankee game, and loved West Point. I guess I'm way more a Chicago traveler

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
That seems impossible. Looked it up and true. 5 game losing streak with close loss to LSU being the only non-blowout.

Outside of the 9-3 team winning Insight Bowl we've done horrible in bowls too. We played horrible in our last bowl win and only won because our Big Ten opponent Minnesota was absolutely terrible.

Didn't they win the Orange Bowl in the 2009 season? Would've been January of 2010, correct? Wasn't ISU's win over Minnesota in December of 2009? Maybe I'm wrong.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Don't we make fun of the hawks for stealing Florida's gator clap or whatever that's called? Now we're totally ok with stealing Ohio State's thing? Announcers already struggle with calling us Ohio State, why add to the confusion.

I'm not sure Campbell meant for this to catch on the way it did with some, it was just a response to being called "the guys in Ames".
It's not strictly Ohio State's 'thing'. Other schools do it, too. I think Ole Miss calls Miss State the team up North.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
NYC is great, but best to visit the first time with someone who's been there and done that before. Otherwise it's a bit intimidating and feels more expensive than it actually is.

Been there lots of times, my boss used to be in our NYC office. Fortunately for me, he is in Denver now which is so much better. I think I would rather go anywhere in the US than NYC.

• Agree
Reactions: norcalcy

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
It is a shame because NYC is such an awesome city to visit, albeit an expensive city to visit. Helps if you have friends of family living there.

NYC is not that more expensive than Florida unless you make it expensive. Fly into Newark. Stay at a Newark business hotel (tons available cheap because it is a non-business period). Take the train to Manhattan. Change trains to Yankee Stadium. I'll bet I could make these arrangements for far less than the average person would pay for a Florida bowl.

NYC is as expensive as you make it. And there is so much that you can do there that can be done no where else, such as the 9/11 Memorial, NBC Studio Tours, etc. And it doesn't have to be expensive.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Agree with this. We stayed in upper West side (Chelsea) while attending Iowa ST @ Army in 2005. Warm temps, I couldn't wait to get out of Manhattan. It was opening credits from Welcome Back Kotter on our entry from JFK or La Guardia (can't remember)...... the cab ride view was --graffiti everywhere. immediate turnoff so much I wasn't interested in the Statue of Liberty or Empire St building. Every urban person wore black, didn't smile. Nowhere to eat actually downtown. I enjoyed the boat tour up the Hudson to Rockefeller estate, another boat ride to a Yankee game, and loved West Point. I guess I'm way more a Chicago traveler

Huh. I really liked Manhattan and Brooklyn. Liked it better than Chicago to be honest. OF course we didn't have to drive in New York. That was nice. ;) You should've went to the top of the Empire State Building. It's quite a view.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Didn't they win the Orange Bowl in the 2009 season? Would've been January of 2010, correct? Wasn't ISU's win over Minnesota in December of 2009? Maybe I'm wrong.

Made me double check, I was wrong. Was thinking it was the 2009 Orange bowl, but it was after the 2009 season in january 2010 So they have a win a couple days after us. So we have a win as recent as Iowa not after.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Made me double check, I was wrong. Was thinking it was the 2009 Orange bowl, but it was after the 2009 season in january 2010 So they have a win a couple days after us. So we have a win as recent as Iowa not after.

Still looking back I didn't realize it had been so many beatdowns other than the close LSU loss.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
NYC is not that more expensive than Florida unless you make it expensive. Fly into Newark. Stay at a Newark business hotel (tons available cheap because it is a non-business period). Take the train to Manhattan. Change trains to Yankee Stadium. I'll bet I could make these arrangements for far less than the average person would pay for a Florida bowl.

NYC is as expensive as you make it. And there is so much that you can do there that can be done no where else, such as the 9/11 Memorial, NBC Studio Tours, etc. And it doesn't have to be expensive.
Agreed. This is EXACTLY what we did when we went for ISU's bowl game in 2011. We stayed in the Hilton Newark and split the room among 3 of us, took the New Jersey Transit train each day, did the 9/11 Memorial and NBC tour. I think I spent $400 for the entire trip. I had a great time. NYC was very underrated for a bowl game but the weather was unseasonably warm so that helped.

• Agree
Reactions: JayV and Cycsk

AttackOfTheClones

Dec 10, 2017
Bushwood, Nebraska
www.youtube.com
and the B1G has claimed NY as a city. They desperately want that market.
Think how dreadful the b-ball tournament will be there. Can’t get much worse than the DC one they just had but it’ll come close.

They don't care about fans. Delaney already has the market. It's all about NYC/Conn/New Jersey cable/dish subscribers that view the BTN, and pay their monthly cable/dish bill every month

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
They don't care about fans. Delaney already has the market. It's all about NYC/Conn/New Jersey cable/dish subscribers that view the BTN, and pay their monthly cable/dish bill every month
Oh I know the B1G doesn’t care about their fans. I always find it funny when Iowa fans will rebuttal a weak schedule argument with a “we can only play what was given to us.” No **** Sherlock. Maybe your ADs shouldn’t have all fell in line and voted yes for Rutgers and MD to join.

• Winner
Reactions: CysRage

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron