TOE announces 10k to 15k in Kinnick Stadiun this fall, change season ticket packages

cyfan50438

Oct 31, 2007
Garner, IA
TOE announces that they are allowing only 10k to 15k in Kinnick Stadium this fall. They also have rolled over all season tickets bought this year to 2021 and will be selling the limited seats in allotments of 2 or 4 games to ensure social distancing.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I told my oldest son tonight that if ISU does the same, we will not be messing around getting single game tickets. Just let them roll our tickets into 2021 and forget about it. I will tailgate at home and watch them on TV.

Reactions: Remo Gaggi

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Any word how Iowa plans to sell the 10-15K single game tickets? e.g. Lottery?, Donor Priority?, Get in line, tickets go on sale at 8 AM?

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Maybe Kinnick will have cardboard cutouts to fill in like baseball. In this event, Pretty sure we need to find a way to get this guy in there:

:jimlad:

Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I think it would be more awkward to have that amount of fans than no fans. Both for the fans and players. Are they going to let people bring in coolers and picnic lunches?

• Disagree
Reactions: jmkc12

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
When the news broke of this yesterday, I didn't realize Iowa was rolling over all season ticket sales to 2021. Meaning, if you want to go to a game in 2020 you have to buy more tickets. If ISU does the same, I'm not sure what I'll do...joining a mad scramble for the few available seats for games that seem unlikely to be played anyway seems like a hassle, not to mention tying up even more money in football tickets.

The Register story also says Iowa fans who don't request a refund of their donations can take a tax deduction, and I'm wondering whether that part is correct. After the 2017 tax law changes, many more people took the standard deduction on their taxes rather than itemizing, meaning that for those people none of their charitable donations were deductible. Beyond that, the law specified that college athletics donations were no longer deductible to anyone under any circumstances. The CARES Act from earlier this year brought back an above-the-line charitable deduction that you can take even if you take the standard deduction. But I don't recall hearing that college athletics donations were made deductible again. Maybe someone else can clarify.

Just something to keep in mind if ISU ends up doing the same thing...if taxes play a role in your decision whether to leave your donation with ISU, make sure you know what you're doing.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Kinnick will take a bigger hit than JTS because their seats are packed closer together. What was their capacity before they cut a couple inches off each seat?

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Kinnick will take a bigger hit than JTS because their seats are packed closer together. What was their capacity before they cut a couple inches off each seat?
Idk but it’s so asinine they did that. They can’t fill it anyway.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
may-kicks-can-3.gif

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
When the news broke of this yesterday, I didn't realize Iowa was rolling over all season ticket sales to 2021. Meaning, if you want to go to a game in 2020 you have to buy more tickets. If ISU does the same, I'm not sure what I'll do...joining a mad scramble for the few available seats for games that seem unlikely to be played anyway seems like a hassle, not to mention tying up even more money in football tickets.

The Register story also says Iowa fans who don't request a refund of their donations can take a tax deduction, and I'm wondering whether that part is correct. After the 2017 tax law changes, many more people took the standard deduction on their taxes rather than itemizing, meaning that for those people none of their charitable donations were deductible. Beyond that, the law specified that college athletics donations were no longer deductible to anyone under any circumstances. The CARES Act from earlier this year brought back an above-the-line charitable deduction that you can take even if you take the standard deduction. But I don't recall hearing that college athletics donations were made deductible again. Maybe someone else can clarify.

Just something to keep in mind if ISU ends up doing the same thing...if taxes play a role in your decision whether to leave your donation with ISU, make sure you know what you're doing.
I don't think that can be true.

For what it's worth. Wisconsin is doing something similar. No season tickets and season ticket holders have the option to (1) donate your tickets and donation (and receive a certificate, double points, your name on a donor wall, you can attend a recognition event next year, stuff like that), (2) roll everything over to next year, or (3) receive a full refund. Only option 1 is tax deductible for us and that will probably be the case here too.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I don't think that can be true.

For what it's worth. Wisconsin is doing something similar. No season tickets and season ticket holders have the option to (1) donate your tickets and donation (and receive a certificate, double points, your name on a donor wall, you can attend a recognition event next year, stuff like that), (2) roll everything over to next year, or (3) receive a full refund. Only option 1 is tax deductible for us and that will probably be the case here too.

This is all pretty muddy, and I'm sure some detail gets lost when the Register paraphrases Iowa's communications to its ticketholders. Here's the quote from the Register story:

Season tickets and per-seat contributions will automatically roll over to 2021, with no action required by those who purchased them. But fans can request a refund of those costs or make a tax-deductible donation.

First and foremost, I'm not clear at all how any of this is tax deductible regardless of the year. Did the CARES Act add back tax-deductibility for college athletics donations? Because those were no longer allowed after the 2017 tax law changes.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Most likely, something that is illegal.

Lets see what the magician Barta pulls out if his butt this time. Free parking for life around Iowa City? KKK party with the Grand Wizard KKKirk? A free scooter? Black and Gold Anniversary KKK outfits? Free health care for life (must go to University Hospitals to be valid)? A lawsuit for a couple mil that Barta loses on purpose? Trash cans and liners for life. Free advice from Husch Blackwell?

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
This is all pretty muddy, and I'm sure some detail gets lost when the Register paraphrases Iowa's communications to its ticketholders. Here's the quote from the Register story:

Season tickets and per-seat contributions will automatically roll over to 2021, with no action required by those who purchased them. But fans can request a refund of those costs or make a tax-deductible donation.

First and foremost, I'm not clear at all how any of this is tax deductible regardless of the year. Did the CARES Act add back tax-deductibility for college athletics donations? Because those were no longer allowed after the 2017 tax law changes.
You may easily know more about this than I do, especially because I haven't looked at the regulations, was that the types of donations that were no longer tax deductible were those that were tied to receiving some kind of benefit (e.g. the ability to purchase seats or purchase certain seats). However, it wasn't all athletic donations. If the donation didn't give you any benefit then it was tax deductible. The only reason I think that is because at Wisconsin we have the "110% percent campaign" where you can give an extra 10% and that 10% is tax deductible. My understanding was that its tax deductible because I don't get anything for it. I don't get better seats and I don't get extra points.

I read that blurb from the register as basically giving them the same options I have

• Dislike
Reactions: Remo Gaggi

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron