To Foul or Not to Foul

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Given the situation statistically Fred made the right call. UNI had no timeouts and there was less than 4 sec on clock. There are a lot of variables..where it's being inbounded...time on clock...timeouts left...etc... It's not clear cut either way.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
Not always a good idea to give free throws with time on the clock. Even if he only makes two of the three, or it's only a one and one you still have to get the ball in bounds on their end of the court, something Hogue failed to do late in the overtime period.

To be fair, I don't think there is a single person here who thinks we should foul on a 3-pt shot in this type of situation.

Either way it worked, so correct decision. I'm still banking these shots up to go our way come tourney time.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Oregon was up three on Ole Miss... needless to say Ole Miss drills a three at the end to force OT.

I'm beginning more and more to feel like I'm on "Team Foul."

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
I also agree with the philosophy of not fouling while up 3 with less than 10 seconds to play. Another scenario would be if it is a 2 shot foul shot and the opposing player makes the first, misses the second and another player from the opposing team gets the rebound goes up for a shot converts and gets fouled then you are risking losing the game.

You really could arm-chair quarterback this topic to death.

I think Coach Hoiberg's decision making is great, and the fact that he doesn't get rattled and let others influence his decision making is awesome!!

ISUENGR

May 15, 2010
Ames, IA
If you listening to the post game press conference, Fred told his players to foul at the end of the game on that wide open 3 point shot. Some how it didn't happen. Sounds like practice on Monday is going to focus on closing games.