To early to look at next years roster ??

blood94

May 10, 2010
I know there is still a lot of games left this season, but i wanted to look at the roster that we will have next year and if it will be any serious chances of getting to post season with tyrese gone.

Returning players with starting experience Bench Incoming Fresh
Young Grill Foster
Conditt Griffin Dunbar
Bolton Javon J (RS) Blackwell
Jackson Walker

Right now we do not have a point guard on the roster to even get us into an offense. We are so used to having a great point guard for the last decade plus starting with diantte g, kane, monte, wieller babb and tyrese. Unless some of these new freshman are unbelievable to start their careers i don't know next season will go.
Anyone want to speculate ?

Reactions: isutrevman

blood94

May 10, 2010
that didnt come across like i wanted:
returning starters : young conditt bolton jackon
bench : grill griffon and javon j (RS)
incoming freshman : foster dunbar blackwell and walker

Reactions: isutrevman

mb7299

Mar 15, 2013
Iowa Falls
Beyond TH going to the nba you have to think atleast two will be transfering out, its kind of the norm anymore and lets be honest we have a few players that probably arent b12 caliber so its a win win for both sides if it happens. That means we hit the juco market and transfers hard and hopefully that helps turn things around quickly next year.

• Optimistic
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

CubsClones1

Nov 12, 2012
Prairie City
Beyond TH going to the nba you have to think atleast two will be transfering out, its kind of the norm anymore and lets be honest we have a few players that probably arent b12 caliber so its a win win for both sides if it happens. That means we hit the juco market and transfers hard and hopefully that helps turn things around quickly next year.
TH getting hurt I think actually helps his chances in returning to ISU next year.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
There's a lot of discussion on this forum about next years roster so I don't think you're too early.

I'd assume the starting line up is something like

Bolton, Jackson, Johnson, Young/Conditt and _______

I could see the ______ to be one of 1) JuCo/grad transfer 2) Foster 3) Blackwell. I also think it's possible that a JuCo/grad transfer bumps Jackson from the starting 5.

Lets just say it is Bolton, Jackson, Johnson, Young, JuCo transfer PG.

Then you have guys that likely get a lot of minutes off the bench in:
Conditt, Foster, Blackwell, Griffin.

Then there are the guys fighting for minutes
T-Lew, Grill, Darlinstone, Walker.

After typing that one challenge is going to be that lineup is heavy on forwards and centers. We really need to find a good JuCo transfer guard for a lot of reasons.

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
I'd assume the starting line up is something like

Bolton, Jackson, Johnson, Young/Conditt and _______

I could see the ______ to be one of 1) JuCo/grad transfer 2) Foster 3) Blackwell. I also think it's possible that a JuCo/grad transfer bumps Jackson from the starting 5.

Lets just say it is Bolton, Jackson, Johnson, Young, JuCo transfer PG.

Then you have guys that likely get a lot of minutes off the bench in:
Conditt, Foster, Blackwell, Griffin.

I know Prohm’s lineups are head-scratchers at best, but I struggle to see Prohm leaving our two tallest offensive weapons on the bench to begin any game.

Solo has earned the loyalty coaches show him, but I don’t think he’s the kind of Senior next year who would take not starting as a knock against him. He’s a great guy to rotate in for the stretches we need the extra effort in the paint, and get great production with a steady 20 mins a game.

All in all, I’ll be relieved to have anyone start in the 4 and play 25 mins/game with hands not made of stone.

Last edited:

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I think Jackson and Bolton are for sure starting but after that who knows? Either Conditt or Young will start but not sure which. Huge question marks for next year.

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA

We already have a 4-man freshman class yet again, and not too many solid leads down the JUCO route. Edit: forgot Johnson is a sit-out, so 3 true freshman.

I’d hope we don’t have more defections. If so, I can see the Prohm threads reach all-time heights already. We’ve already hit our “norm” with 3 lost this season already (2 transfers before the season even begins + 1 likely lottery pick).

• Useful
Reactions: CyBobby

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
I know Prohm’s lineups are head-scratchers at best, but I struggle to see Prohm leaving our two tallest offensive weapons on the bench to begin any game.

Solo has earned the loyalty coaches show him, but I don’t think he’s the kind of Senior next year who would take not starting as a knock against him. He’s a great guy to rotate in for the stretches we need the extra effort in the paint, and get great production with a steady 20 mins a game.

All in all, I’ll be relieved to have anyone start in the 4 and play 25 mins/game with hands not made of stone.

I assume you mean Conditt and Foster with our two tallest offensive weapons.

I agree with you I think if they pass Young then Solo would come off the bench and accept that role. While I hope that's the case, I'm skeptical. I also think people somewhat forget how good Solo has been recently and in the past when fully healthy. I love the potential of both Conditt and Foster, but I right now I don't see either on the trajectory to pass Young.

What I listed above was my most likely scenario. If we want to talk wish list then...

Starting
RayQuawndis Mitchell - PG - I really know nothing about him, but it's funner to put in a name than JuCo PG and his name is pretty fun.
Bolton - SG - continue to shoot like he has, but add a midrange floater as an option when attacking the basket.
Blackwell SF - Steps right on campus and demands a starting role. I like Tre Jackson a lot, but our rotations work out a little better if Blackwell steps in here imo.
Foster - PF - His HS shooting from 3 translates and even improves a tick when he has time with a college staff and he proves to be the elite defender we hoped.
Conditt - C - He takes the next step and finds consistency on both ends.

Off the bench
Jackson - steps up into a consistent three point shooter and solid defender
Johnson - Solid piece off the bench, pushes hard for a starting spot but Blackwell is too good.
Griffin - Similar story to Johnson
Young - solid guy we are used to gets plenty of minutes off the bench

Others - T-Lew, Grill, Darlinstone and Walker look solid, but just can't get into the rotation.

Oh and we should include coaching staff as well if it's a wishlist.

Prohm adds someone that can act as a defensive coordinator and build a strong defensive scheme. There's pieces above that I think have a ton of potential on that end, but need the right guy on the staff to unlock it.

Reactions: isu83

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron