TJ - the Right Guy for These Times

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
If you have not read this - I suggest you do.
Some will argue, what else can he say!
But this man is a great Cyclone and leader.
He has always been know as a recruiter. Last year he proved he can really coach. We cannot be in better hands during these turbulent times. I also really appreciate his comments about Hunter.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Kids know who's going to help them get where they want to go, and who will respect them along the way. The Wizard of Otz is that person.

They also know who cares only about his or her own oersonal fame and paychecks (coaches, recruiters, et al).

They are kids. Not stupid.

Aduhbolu15

Feb 28, 2021
I love what he’s saying but it’s gotta create more time away from home because he’s constantly recruiting.

Reactions: Jfalvey

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
He has always been know as a recruiter. Last year he proved he can really coach. We cannot be in better hands during these turbulent times. I also really appreciate his comments about Hunter.

I like that he seems to have no problem navigating these waters. That's going to help us, because it seems like now you need to be able to build almost a total roster every year. I would expect that unless there are rule changes, we're going to see 50-75% of the roster turn over every offseason.

That said, it may remain to be seen how well TJ can evaluate and build the roster. It sure looks like he's great at it, but it's kind of a small sample size. Did he get lucky with Brockington, or did he really see something that most other coaches overlooked? Should be interesting going forward.

KremitGreens

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2020
Very nice piece. I’m not sure how TJ does it because my anxiety trips thinking about his hurdles that he has to leap.

Reactions: Cy4Lifer

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I hated the TJ hire originally. Now i don't even think about the old coaches or worry as much. TJ has it under control.

Reactions: NWICY

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I hated the TJ hire originally. Now i don't even think about the old coaches or worry as much. TJ has it under control.

I wasn’t a fan but I was wrong. Glad we have him as our coach. He’s definitely the right guy and right fit for our program and the crazy times we are in.

OPButtrey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 21, 2010
I was very worried that Iowa would fire Fran and hire TJ away from SDSU or UNLV. So glad that never happened.

Reactions: Cjreimer

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver

I like T.J. for a couple reasons,
1. I fully believe him when he says this is his dream job
2. He's young enough to relate to players, and really grind hard in this year to year climate where so much of the roster turns over. A key will be, can he keep some top flight assistants around.
3. He knows where to maximize our talent. Instead of going after the top transfers say a Gonzaga would be in on, he goes out and finds two studs on St. Bonaventure - where there are other programs involved, but not 50 other programs.

We do have the right coach at the right time, great thread title.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Hiring Green was a great move. Now getting Crawford to be an assistant,

Good recruiting that matches a plan for the program.

TJ has really owned the CEO part of the job.

Reactions: heitclone

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I like T.J. for a couple reasons,
1. I fully believe him when he says this is his dream job
2. He's young enough to relate to players, and really grind hard in this year to year climate where so much of the roster turns over. A key will be, can he keep some top flight assistants around.
3. He knows where to maximize our talent. Instead of going after the top transfers say a Gonzaga would be in on, he goes out and finds two studs on St. Bonaventure - where there are other programs involved, but not 50 other programs.

We do have the right coach at the right time, great thread title.
It seems to me that we have the right guy. My biggest concern is that he seemed a little too rigid as far as scheme. We went almost exclusively to the high post offense, which worked OK until teams figured out that Conditt could neither shoot nor dribble and Brockington couldn't go right. I would have liked to see a little more pick and roll, as Conditt was very good at rolling and Hunter made decent decisions with the ball. BUT, maybe TJ just did all he could with the talent available and trying something different wouldn't have helped. It will be interesting to see what he does with a different set of talent.

I'm still shocked that we ended up in the S16 with that team. We've had teams twice as talented flame out in the first round or miss the tournament all together.