TJ the Coach

Curt Smith

Oct 18, 2018
First of all, hello everyone. It’s been a long, long time since I posted on this board. Now that recruiting isn’t front and center, I would like your opinions about TJ the coach. I know much has been posted already, though I think the heat of the moment may have colored some thinking. The question is: can TJ coach these guys into immediate respectability? I don’t know everything that happened in Vegas. I read somewhere that there were extenuating circumstances as to any problems there. What happened?

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
First of all, hello everyone. It’s been a long, long time since I posted on this board. Now that recruiting isn’t front and center, I would like your opinions about TJ the coach. I know much has been posted already, though I think the heat of the moment may have colored some thinking. The question is: can TJ coach these guys into immediate respectability? I don’t know everything that happened in Vegas. I read somewhere that there were extenuating circumstances as to any problems there. What happened?
I will admit I haven't watched much of him in the past. But I remember reading on UNLV boards that they thought he was a decent in game coach but could not recruit. That brought me comfort.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
My take is that TJ is a driven man who will be successful at whatever he does. He happens to coach. He is fairly new at it, so we'll see. I do feel that he is capable of changing, adapting as the need arises. Just some of the things I've heard him say, he is willing to learn and grow, not be stagnant in his coaching approach.

Guy can certainly recruit so I think he is a good communicator and is likable. I am anxious to see him grow as a coach. He is going to make some mistakes along the way.

Last edited:

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames

There's a video floating around here somewhere that was shot on the SDSU bench during a game. I have ZERO worries about his ability to in-game coach. What happened in Vegas is that his first team exceeded expectations and his second one didn't...primarily because of graduations and the fact that he lost his point guard early in the season to injury. And we all know what happens to a team when you don't have a true point guard.

The players love him, and more importantly, they respect him. He will coach them up and maximize their potential.

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
He’s a fantastic recruiter. I think he will have success here. From everything we hear, this seems to be his dream job he has wanted.

Reactions: t-noah

Curt Smith

Oct 18, 2018
OP, it took you a long time to make your first post...
I gave up on the Clones after the 2018-19 season. I wanted TJ after Fred left, but supported Prohm for as long as I could. Like the rest of you, I am really psyched about Cycl B-ball moving forward. TJ has assembled a quality staff, recruited great, and now the next question is can he coach at a Big 12 level. I think he can, but I want to hear what you grizzled veterans think.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Appears he's put a priority on defense and toughness on his transfers. Kalscheur and Brockington are exactly the type of guys you want around to instill that attitude in Hunter, Enaruna, Lipsey and King. Practicing against Jones, Foster and Conditt will be forced to match his intensity.

I expect TJs teams to be gifted athletes that are willing to grind it out with opponents in all aspects of the game.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Appears he's put a priority on defense and toughness on his transfers. Kalscheur and Brockington are exactly the type of guys you want around to instill that attitude in Hunter, Enaruna, Lipsey and King. Practicing against Jones, Foster and Conditt will be forced to match his intensity.

I expect TJs teams to be gifted athletes that are willing to grind it out with opponents in all aspects of the game.
Prohm always preached to the media at least about playing defense, being gritty and tough. But it never came to fruition on the court. TJ seems to be recruiting tough gritty players. Perhaps Prohm was hoping he could recruit high level talent and instill those traits while TJ is recruiting those type of players. We'll see if TJ can get them to be competent offensively while maintaining the toughness.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Prohm always preached to the media at least about playing defense, being gritty and tough. But it never came to fruition on the court. TJ seems to be recruiting tough gritty players. Perhaps Prohm was hoping he could recruit high level talent and instill those traits while TJ is recruiting those type of players. We'll see if TJ can get them to be competent offensively while maintaining the toughness.

When you don't practice rebounding, toughness is clearly not a priority.

I don't think TJ is going out of his way to get defensive guys with grit. That just happens to be who was available and interested. I think he's taking a page out of Campbell's book and looking for guys with good attitudes and who love the game. I suspect we're also going to get our fair share of high level talent, which I'd consider any player in the Top 100.

TJ wants to play uptempo and shoot threes, but he also understands he might have to adjust early on based on who's on the roster.

CYTUTT

Nov 25, 2012
I’m skeptical. I think he has the assistant coaches to make a difference. It will take some time for the players to gel, but it hinges on his ability to get the talent aligned and playing at the highest level (Big XII). We all know that looks can deceive, but he is not like Prohm, in that, he’s not trying to keep continuity - this is a straight up rebuild. I hope I am so wrong about his coaching!

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
There's a video floating around here somewhere that was shot on the SDSU bench during a game. I have ZERO worries about his ability to in-game coach. What happened in Vegas is that his first team exceeded expectations and his second one didn't...primarily because of graduations and the fact that he lost his point guard early in the season to injury. And we all know what happens to a team when you don't have a true point guard.

The players love him, and more importantly, they respect him. He will coach them up and maximize their potential.
I think the other key thing is the staff. He has some proven developmental coaches for both interior and perimeter players. I expect our players will see their toolsets expand with the current staff.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron