TJ’s Weaknesses Exposed Tonight

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Thank you, finally someone with a logical answer instead of getting all bent out of shape that I'm questioning the coaches.
It's not that you questioned the staff, it's that you were completely over the top and exaggerated everything in a way that was very off putting..

How @isucy86 just crafted their post was perfect in sparking an actual discussion and completely different than the approach you took.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
It’s such a joke you get this upset about a game you already know the result to. At least the people who were getting upset about it last night actually watched it in the moment. You knew what was coming and are acting this upset? Come on.

And if you think this is the worst game you have seen, did you skip the games where they didn’t break 50 or 40 points last year? Those were so much worse.
If you like to live in a world where every game happens in a vacuum, then there are no such things as moral victories. However, because that's not reality, last night was a great learning opportunity in a variety of ways for both our players and staff. Also, last night was probably the best game we've played on the road this year. We didn't blow a lead, we made adjustments, we answered the call all night long through banked in threes and probably the worst officiating in years. All of that, and we had a shot to win and came up just short to a top 20 NET team in a rowdy environment. I'm also hopeful that Tamin's offensive game woke up a bit. Those pull-up jumpers and that made three could really help his confidence going forward.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
You mean like the Iowa and Missouri games? What's going to happen is I'll chalk it up to the other team being hot that night and move on.

That's not what I'm talking about here, I'm talking about the constant inability to close out a game we shoukd have won. This is 4 straight that we've lost and had numerous chances at the end. That's unprecedented.

The meltdown continues.

Look at ISU's roster and other rosters and compare.

Go look at ISU's history and can we at some point appreciate that ISU has even had a chance on the road this much? THAT is unprecedented.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
After Grill missed the layup with 11 seconds we are down by one. Are there other options beyond fouling at that point? This team forced a miss and a turnover in the last minute of regulation.

Also somewhere in there was an airball on a floater, scramble and a couple of other misses by ISU in one possession, and Holmes and another ISU player fumbled a defensive rebound out of bounds where they did everything except secure the ball.

At Tech they totally flenched and there were similar instances at Okie State. It's overall about as well coached of a team out there so I'm not sure what can happen there.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Funny you prefaced this with "I'm all in on TJ".

Because you take that away.........these posts of yours are exactly what you shoveled in Prohm's first two seasons.

23 wins......not good enough
24 wins.......not good enough
10 conference wins........not good enough
12 conference wins......not good enough
Sweet 16.......not good enough
Conference tourney title......not good enough

Always something to watch or be concerned about.

I guess one the thing TJ does have going for him is "other coaches players".
Lucky for him, right? Or I'm sure you would be blaming any success he has on that......just like Prohm.

I think Jereisb needs regular season titles and Final Fourish seasons for ISU to be at the correct standard even though that's never been a standard.

• Winner
Reactions: NWICY and isufbcurt

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
What about the previous 10 minutes to that where WVU barely scored from the floor? Those points came from somewhere.
In the last 5:30 minutes we gave up 8 points on 11 possessions. We gave up 4 points on the last two alone. This team played good ball on the defensive end in the last 6 minutes last night.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Also look at the conference we're in. Everyone is accumulating conf losses. Get to 11 wins and we will be sitting really well for the tourney. Give me a sweet 16 with a decent shot at an Elite 8 over a regular season title any day. I have a feeling we will get that regular season title under TJ soon anyway.

Screenshot_20230209-145354.png

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
You mean like the Iowa and Missouri games? What's going to happen is I'll chalk it up to the other team being hot that night and move on.

That's not what I'm talking about here, I'm talking about the constant inability to close out a game we shoukd have won. This is 4 straight that we've lost and had numerous chances at the end. That's unprecedented.
I chuckle a little thinking back to Hoiberg's early years. The big argument back then is why he doesn't foul in the back court when up 3.

I get that TJ has been a head coach for 7 or 8 years, but like others have said this is a group of misfits playing high level ball. 4 and 5 star kids don't really lock in until the game is on the line. Most teams in the Big XII have that talent and our transfers from low-mid-majors just lose their advantage outworkng that talent when they are locked in. That's my guess why it's so hard for our guys to close out games.

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
I chuckle a little thinking back to Hoiberg's early years. The big argument back then is why he doesn't foul in the back court when up 3.

I get that TJ has been a head coach for 7 or 8 years, but like others have said this is a group of misfits playing high level ball. 4 and 5 star kids don't really lock in until the game is on the line. Most teams in the Big XII have that talent and our transfers from low-mid-majors just lose their advantage outworkng that talent when they are locked in. That's my guess why it's so hard for our guys to close out games.
I think it also can't be overstated just how much this team could use a guy who can just go get a bucket one-on-one. Brockington last year could do it but teams started really forcing him right, otherwise it would help a ton with the end-of-game things people are complaining about. Oftentimes the best play at the end of the game is get a matchup you want and trust your guy to make a play. People want Hoosiers to be reality but past a certain level of basketball, it does become more of a game of dudes if that makes sense.

I'd like to think in two years, with guys like Milan, Rock, etc. there will be a lot more ability to just let a guy go to work a la Georges.

Last edited:

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I think it also can't be overstated just how much this team could use a guy who can just go get a bucket one-on-one. Brockington last year could do it but teams started really forcing him right, otherwise it would help a ton with the end-of-game things people are complaining about. Oftentimes the best play at the end of the game is get a matchup you want and trust your guy to make a play. People want Hoosiers to be reality but past a certain level of basketball, it does become more of a game of dudes if that makes sense.

I'd like to think in two years, with guys like Milan, Rock, etc. there will be a lot more ability to just let a guy go to work a la Georges.
Right now we do it with Xs and Os while others do it with Jimmys and Joes.

Reactions: cyclonehomer

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Some of the shots WV swatted away last night were an example of this. The same would happen last year just more often as Lipsey and Holmes are better around the rim.

And it's why Saturday will be really interesting with OSU.

Reactions: cyclonehomer

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
I'm simply questioning why this same thing keeps happening over and over. You guys would rather blame it on "refs" or "coin flips" instead of offering some legitimate answers.
I agree. We keep not winning national championships over and over. This sucks! I want answers!

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Umm, we have possession of the ball with 15 seconds left down 1 and we end up losing by 5? That's a choke job.

Oh for crying put loud it was 3 we fouled one more time the hit the free throws to make it 5. It's not like we rolled over and let them run up and down the court while we didn't defend.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006

We need to get back to being blown out every game and going winless in the Conference like we were doing………..just two years ago. JFC. Go to the Kansas board and stir everyone up that Bill Self needs to be fired for being out coached at Hilton by TJ.

• Love
Reactions: Acer88 and madguy30