TJ’s Weaknesses Exposed Tonight

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I could go back on any loss and you are leading the charge on negativity. If you think otherwise, you should look at your posting history. I just took a quick look and it isn’t pretty.
Lol, wut???? I rarely even post in gamethreads and those 2 games are the only ones I've been upset that we lost.

I didn't say a word about Uconn, Iowa, Missouri, KU when we lost those games.

I rarely even commented on games last year because TJ was doing a hell of a job with minimal expectations.

Last year I remember even being upset with any games was back in 2019 with Prohms team. We sucked so bad his last 2 years I didn't even care at that point.

bizzle

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
NY, NY
I don't think this game changes the problems this team/coaching staff have.

We can "stomach" BREs minutes when the team plays well, especially at home, but the bigger issue is when playing on the road. Again the staff inexplicably played BRE 17 minutes. He only had 2 boards, 4 points, and several blown layup opportunities. Then you have Tre King, who utterly dominated in the first half, yet only received 16 minutes. It's utterly insane, regardless of how well the rest of the team plays/compensates for the error.

Self also did a really poor job of even trying to exploit obvious deficiencies displayed over the last several games. We have trouble inbounding yet KU didn't press/pressure the ball much. Lipsey has been careless when faced with intense, on ball pressure yet KU really didn't attack him defensively. Then there is our most exploitable weakness, BRE. KU really didn't try to isolate him at the top of the key all all. Given how easily lesser teams like Mizzou and Tech exploited him I found it odd, if not shockingly inexcusable.

We played well today and TJ is obviously a good coach and has a team that typically plays well with one another. With that said, this game really doesn't alleviate the concerns or shortcomings we saw the last two games, particularly the last half of the Tech game

I was also surprised KU extended defense on Lipsey without really playing him hard. I think you pressure him up the floor and near the half court line, then force him to shoot and back off at the three line. They way KU handled him made it VERY easy for us, and didn't make Lipsey adjust.

Definitely agree that we have limitations. We can only hope the coaching staff is developing plans for those limitations but we can't add a point guard to take over for Tamin right now so it is what it is.

As for Rob, our playing style requires bodies. Some are certainly more effective than others but Osun and Tre will foul out if we don't have a 3rd guy there and Osun killed us down the stretch defensively at Tech without doing anything offensively. Honestly we probably had a better shot at getting out of there in regulation with Jones because he can guard the switch better. I agree that he is not at the caliber of what a backup center will be for us in the future but, again, we can't add a guy. The roster is what it is at this point and we have our limitations. Unless we're gonna start playing 7 guys and watch them all foul out we need those 5 additional fouls and someone who is a better on-ball defender when we switch.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Definitely agree that we have limitations. We can only hope the coaching staff is developing plans for those limitations but we can't add a point guard to take over for Tamin right now so it is what it is.

As for Rob, our playing style requires bodies. Some are certainly more effective than others but Osun and Tre will foul out if we don't have a 3rd guy there and Osun killed us down the stretch defensively at Tech without doing anything offensively. Honestly we probably had a better shot at getting out of there in regulation with Jones because he can guard the switch better. I agree that he is not at the caliber of what a backup center will be for us in the future but, again, we can't add a guy. The roster is what it is at this point and we have our limitations. Unless we're gonna start playing 7 guys and watch them all foul out we need those 5 additional fouls and someone who is a better on-ball defender when we switch.

Jones "doesn't" guard the switch well. I mean he can switch but then it's an easily exploitable mismatch. He's not as quick or as good of a defender as King, and in rebounds he is atrocious. There was simply no excuse, reason or need, for having him out there as much as we did.

Now, to a degree out defense does require bodies. But King can play and defend the 5. Now Kunc is back and Watson is a better player/contributor than BRE. Occasionally we may find ourseld in extreme foul trouble and we NEED BRE out there. I'm okay with that. What I'm not okay with is King, one of our most productive players in a per minute basis, getting 15 minutes a game while BRE gets 17. We are giving up offense, defense, and rebounds in that scenario. Tre should have had 25-28 minutes today with BRE closer to 5.

I mean, when there is no real reason for Bob to play he shouldn't be playing. It's unecessary and hes objectionably terrible.

• Dislike
  • Dumb
Reactions: KezClone and JCity

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
Lol, wut???? I rarely even post in gamethreads and those 2 games are the only ones I've been upset that we lost.

I didn't say a word about Uconn, Iowa, Missouri, KU when we lost those games.

I rarely even commented on games last year because TJ was doing a hell of a job with minimal expectations.

Last year I remember even being upset with any games was back in 2019 with Prohms team. We sucked so bad his last 2 years I didn't even care at that point.

This took like 5 minutes to find and there are many more out there. These were pulled from this year and last year. I get not wanting to admit it, but right now you are straight up lying. All but 1 from game threads and they were all different threads.
I'm trying to remain positive but I just don't see it tonight. We don't matchup well with these guys and they already beat Texas and Baylor.

We'll see, if we do end up getting in still I think we are headed for 10 or 11 territory. Our resume just isn't as good as it looked earlier.

Hilton North, Hilton South, doesn't matter, this team is outclassed.

Team takes out the Big 10 Champs in their home state and looks like alphas. Now we look scared and confused against some middling ACC program.

Well, the first couple days were fun, it's obvious we are way out of our league and playing one of the best teams in the country.

bizzle

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
NY, NY
Jones "doesn't" guard the switch well. I mean he can switch but then it's an easily exploitable mismatch. He's not as quick or as good of a defender as King, and in rebounds he is atrocious. There was simply no excuse, reason or need, for having him out there as much as we did.

Now, to a degree out defense does require bodies. But King can play and defend the 5. Now Kunc is back and Watson is a better player/contributor than BRE. Occasionally we may find ourseld in extreme foul trouble and we NEED BRE out there. I'm okay with that. What I'm not okay with is King, one of our most productive players in a per minute basis, getting 15 minutes a game while BRE gets 17. We are giving up offense, defense, and rebounds in that scenario. Tre should have had 25-28 minutes today with BRE closer to 5.

I mean, when there is no real reason for Bob to play he shouldn't be playing. It's unecessary and hes objectionably terrible.

He does guard the switch better than Osun, who lets guards blow by him and then fouls. I agree I would prefer King over Jones out there as Osun's #2. There are some games where he's going to be too small but generally speaking I would like to see that and I think you will. IMO we should not assume the coaches will adjust nothing from game to game.

I don't think Watson can play the 5 so with Jaz coming back I think his minutes are basically gone. An eight man rotation of Lipsey/Grill/Gabe/Holmes/Osun starting with Jaz/King/Rob is our best look, I think, with Rob's minutes scaling up or down depending on the physicality and the need for a body. The thing is Tre also picks up a lot of fouls and tends to pick them up in flurries. We have to have a 3rd 5 and that's gonna be Rob. I think TJ is managing minimizing Rob's spot in the rotation over the course of the conference season.

Anyway, I agree that King should have played more at Tech. I think reading between the lines with what the coaches said about how they would change things if they could get that one back means they feel the same way. This was the first game since that game. Let's give them some time to adjust to that particular issue.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
This took like 5 minutes to find and there are many more out there. These were pulled from this year and last year. I get not wanting to admit it, but right now you are straight up lying. All but 1 from game threads and they were all different threads.
OMG!!!!!! The audacity for me to post something in a game thread like "we don't matchup well with these guys".
Out of all the stuff people post in game threads and you're crying about that? A majority of people who post in game threads have posted far worse.

Plus I was completely right about us being an 11 seed an whole 6 weeks before the brackets even came out.

I also said I rarely post in game threads, reason I know this is because I don't watch alot of games live, I watch them later.

So I guess congrats on finding about 5 games I posted about out of 50 since TJ has been here.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I don't think this game changes the problems this team/coaching staff have.

We can "stomach" BREs minutes when the team plays well, especially at home, but the bigger issue is when playing on the road. Again the staff inexplicably played BRE 17 minutes. He only had 2 boards, 4 points, and several blown layup opportunities. Then you have Tre King, who utterly dominated in the first half, yet only received 16 minutes. It's utterly insane, regardless of how well the rest of the team plays/compensates for the error.

Self also did a really poor job of even trying to exploit obvious deficiencies displayed over the last several games. We have trouble inbounding yet KU didn't press/pressure the ball much. Lipsey has been careless when faced with intense, on ball pressure yet KU really didn't attack him defensively. Then there is our most exploitable weakness, BRE. KU really didn't try to isolate him at the top of the key all all. Given how easily lesser teams like Mizzou and Tech exploited him I found it odd, if not shockingly inexcusable.

We played well today and TJ is obviously a good coach and has a team that typically plays well with one another. With that said, this game really doesn't alleviate the concerns or shortcomings we saw the last two games, particularly the last half of the Tech game

I was also surprised KU extended defense on Lipsey without really playing him hard. I think you pressure him up the floor and near the half court line, then force him to shoot and back off at the three line. They way KU handled him made it VERY easy for us, and didn't make Lipsey adjust.

^^^HOW IS THIS GUY NOT COACHING IN THE NBA?

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
OMG!!!!!! The audacity for me to post something in a game thread like "we don't matchup well with these guys".
Out of all the stuff people post in game threads and you're crying about that? A majority of people who post in game threads have posted far worse.

I won’t bring it up after this but crying about it? Not at all. Pointing out you have been consistently negative poster on here for years and then lying about it, yes. Literally everyone on here knows it but you, apparently.

You are out here trying to gaslight everyone, but unless you scrub your account, it’s all there to see.

But hey, you didn’t post on game threads last year, so I must be mistaken.

Reactions: keepngoal

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I won’t bring it up after this but crying about it? Not at all. Pointing out you have been consistently negative poster on here for years and then lying about it, yes. Literally everyone on here knows it but you, apparently.

You are out here trying to gaslight everyone, but unless you scrub your account, it’s all there to see.

But hey, you didn’t post on game threads last year, so I must be mistaken.
Since you don't have a life and I guess have time to dig through old game threads, why don't you go find all the threads last year where I was praising TJ and how good of a job they were doing.

Or how about from March 2021 when I was in the minority of people on here who were excited about the hire.

Or how about from April 2021, when I was impressed by the transfers he was bringing in?

Of course not........

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Tell me how I should act then when we are on the front page of ESPN for having the biggest meltdown on the history of the Big 8.

Should I just be happy they tried their best?Or that they had fun?

JFC, I dont how to make this any more clear, people are going to be upset anytime we lose, let alone losing like we did Monday.

I was over it by Thursday and I'm done talking about. You guys want to talk Kansas I'm all ears, but I'm done arguing about it.

You over react. And jump on opportunities to be negative and *****. Drama. Trying to stir people up. You’re an ass.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
^^^HOW IS THIS GUY NOT COACHING IN THE NBA?

I've been offered, but nobody will allow me to put you on my staff. "I'm flattered but where I go, Gunnerclone goes". Sadly it's a sticking point the NBA execs won't budge on. I don't even think you're that bad.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
You over react. And jump on opportunities to be negative and *****. Drama. Trying to stir people up. You’re an ass.
I won't apologize for being a passionate fan, besides, you have no idea some of the stuff I've dealt with on here from people for having ties to other schools even though I've been an ISU fan since 1985.

• Dumb
Reactions: ribsnwhiskey

crs8975

Aug 14, 2013
Lakewood, CO
Since you don't have a life and I guess have time to dig through old game threads, why don't you go find all the threads last year where I was praising TJ and how good of a job they were doing.

Or how about from March 2021 when I was in the minority of people on here who were excited about the hire.

Or how about from April 2021, when I was impressed by the transfers he was bringing in?

Of course not........
Doesn’t change the fact that you were clearly posting a bunch of negative crap.

Reactions: AllInForISU

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
And tournament appearances, and maybe multiple Sweet 16s, too.

Dude has some pretty serious problems like that, and they just keep bubbling up.

I'll eat a bit of crow because I didn't think today would happen...recovering from Monday seemed like it would honestly take a few games and that in itself is quite the task.

Whatever TJ and staff did and for the players to respond like this takes some serious resolve.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron