Time for a Real Discussion About Caitlin Clark

• Presidential Race Discussion - Please make sure to keep all discussion within the "Politics Forum" in order to keep the main forums civil and politics-free.
    You can opt-in to the Political Forum in your user settings - note that the change may take up to 2 hours to process.

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
You mean like when perhaps actual WNBA GOAT Stewart set a totally normal screen and CC fans immediately called for Stewart to face felony charges and prison time? Then Stewart gave a really warm and loving interview being super nice to Clark about the play?

I don't know if that's specifically "hate" or prejudice that Stewart is a lesbian, maybe some of it is. I think more likely CC just has a cult following and that player with that a totally legal screen was going to be villainized by her fans regardless of race or sexual preference...it just happens a really high % of players are black and LGBT.

You can look up social media posts of that play and 99% of the comments are people saying a legal screen should result in criminal charges, suspension, jail time, etc. More than anything a lot of these people just don't know basketball. I don't think it's really "hate" more that it's these soccer moms who have suddenly injected themselves into the sports talk discussion and they treat CC like their soccer mom kid.
Well said. Stewart has had an elite college and pro career. Over a decade of greatness, college and pro. And no one cares. CC fans don't care. Would it be different if she shot 35 footers?

Reactions: HFCS

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
IF it turns out that she's just a really good player, and spends her career between top 10 - 20 player in the game (IF she ever gets there - she is clearly not right now)
Don't tell that to Chris Hassell. He thinks she is already in the 10-15 range. And he is what I would consider one of the more reasonably down to earth hawk fans out there. That tells you what the majority must believe.

• Winner
Reactions: chadly82

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
Don't tell that to Chris Hassell. He thinks she is already in the 10-15 range. And he is what I would consider one of the more reasonably down to earth hawk fans out there. That tells you what the majority must believe.
I couldn’t believe he said that on their pod. If you can’t play defense, turn the ball over at an incredibly high rate and shoot 29% from 3 then what in the hell are they smoking because I want some of that.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyinthenorth

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
I’m here for the real discussion
This is much like ANF, the wave, etc. they have been on their toes regarding marketing and isu has been asleep.

It took isu approximately 100 years to figure out how to begin to effectively market our Jack Trice Heritage.

• Agree
Reactions: Cy4Lifer

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
Here’s a cool stat for all the people that keep saying that she’s struggling.

she’s currently on pace to be the 5th player in the history of the WNBA to average 15 points, 5 assists, 5 rebounds.

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017

she’s currently on pace to be the 5th player in the history of the WNBA to average 15 points, 5 assists, 5 rebounds.
While true, her stats are due to volume usage, not efficiency. Her FG % is average at best. She averages 15+ points because she averages 13 shots and 4.5 free throw attempts per game. And while she has a ton of assists, her assist/turnover ratio is only 1.11

She’s very good at what I call “stuffing the box score.” She’s quite poor at the things that don’t show up in the box score, such as defense. She’s constantly ball watching on defense instead of guarding her opponent. This allows her opponent to run around, get open, and score.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby

Don't forget CC's minus 30 Monday night. You don't see that often either.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: VeloClone

cyclone82

Sep 22, 2022
Is anyone out there good at knowing where to find advanced efficiency statistics for WNBA players? I am in an argument with a Clarkie on social media right now who thinks that Caitlin should have been invited to the Olympic team over players like Taurasi and Plum, citing that despite Caitlin's inefficiencies, she is more efficient (or less inefficient at least) than either of those two veterans. On ESPN all I am seeing is scoring efficiency and shooting efficiency, which I don't totally even understand, but Caitlin does narrowly edge both of them out, assuming a higher number is better than a lower nu

While true, her stats are due to volume usage, not efficiency. Her FG % is average at best. She averages 15+ points because she averages 13 shots and 4.5 free throw attempts per game. And while she has a ton of assists, her assist/turnover ratio is only 1.11

She’s very good at what I call “stuffing the box score.” She’s quite poor at the things that don’t show up in the box score, such as defense. She’s constantly ball watching on defense instead of guarding her opponent. This allows her opponent to run around, get open, and score.
She’s JUST a Shooter, she does not do things that win games. Hence, the reason she’s NEVER won anything….HS, college, and now the pros. She just has the media attention …

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021

Such a casual

Her net rating is 124th in the league at -16, her efg% is 64th at 48%, her assist/to is 78th at 1.11, her season +/- is THIRD TO LAST in the entire league. And her team’s record is 3 and freakin 10.

ESPN ranked her the 6th-best rookie this season based on PER, Win Share, and wins generated. A recap of her snippet in the article

The simplest way to break down Clark’s standing is she simply is not shooting well enough, scoring volume points on lots of shots on an awful team and is a defensive liability.

15, 5, and 5 isn’t even that amazing. Scottie Barnes averaged those numbers for the Toronto Raptors this year