Time for a Real Discussion About Caitlin Clark

• Presidential Race Discussion - Please make sure to keep all discussion within the "Politics Forum" in order to keep the main forums civil and politics-free.
    You can opt-in to the Political Forum in your user settings - note that the change may take up to 2 hours to process.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Shoot some of you folks got big mad about that last post. I didn’t pretend to be a coach but I could see similarities in her shooting ability and no defense with early Curry. (I’m not saying she is Curry). I would assume situational bball would find great use of someone being guarded 30’ from the basket to open the court for others. It pains me to say, but raw statistics say Tausari and Ionescu could be cut for her. It doesn’t feel right to cut those two because I like the history and Kobe narratives respectively for them. I also want to point out that statement is based on raw offensive statistics and not advanced or +/- metrics. And I’m not promoting her being the number 1 option or anything like that.

I think if she spent four years in an ISU jersey a lot of opinions would change. Look I don’t care for much of what she does outside of good shooting and I hate listening to skwak fans claim to be women’s bball fans but I think she brings a lot of opportunities to future female athletes that haven’t been there in the past. I think she brings enough on the court to justify her being on the team. And because of that, the women’s games would be guaranteed to be on TV and I could watch with my girls during the Olympics. So you can hate on my opinion all you want but they should put her on the team for the good of the exposure. The exposure she brings is not just for her benefit.

Also, I’m not making internet bets but who is betting against her being first alternate for any injuries.

Build the wall! Build the wall! (Of text)

cyspy

Jul 24, 2011
Are you saying USA women's basketball hasn't been on TV?

For the Olympics?

In the past most Olympic men's and women's basketball games were televised on the NBC Sports Network (no longer on) or channels like USA Network. NBC only televised the semi-finals and gold medal games on their local affiliates. The big reason why is that in the Olympics they don't stop the game in the middle of the quarter to take a five minute t.v. timeout. NBC local affiliates mainly carry the sports that are friendly to play as many commercials as humanly possible.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
If they are on TV. She pretty well guarantees it. You’re not wrong at all. If she is there it is prime time vs me trying to figure out if I can leave work to swing it. It’s not right but it’s what it is.

Please don't tell me that you and your daughters watch CC play and you tell them they should play like she does. At least explain to them that they shouldn't act like she does on the court okay? And play no defense like she does.

Everything else in her game would be fine. And actually, how she acts and is in interviews off the court is good too.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Please don't tell me that you and your daughters watch CC play and you tell them they should play like she does. At least explain to them that they shouldn't act like she does on the court okay? And play no defense like she does.

Everything else in her game would be fine. And actually, how she acts and is in interviews off the court is good too.
Are you really telling people how to parent their kids? Lol.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Are you really telling people how to parent their kids? Lol.

Just a suggestion... calm down buddy. Obviously people can parent however they feel is best.

Personally... I wouldn't want my son or daughter acting how CC does on the basketball court. Looked like CC's Dad doesn't always appreciate how she acts on the court either... I side with him on that.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
Where have you read that?
If CF starts requiring verification of statements and sources on here, the dialogue on here would almost cease. Except for me because my sources are confidential (mostly because I “heard” it or can’t remember where I read it). Carry on.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Just a suggestion... calm down buddy. Obviously people can parent however they feel is best.

Personally... I wouldn't want my son or daughter acting how CC does on the basketball court. Looked like CC's Dad doesn't always appreciate how she acts on the court either... I side with him on that.
Thanks for finally clearing that up.

AlCyJim

Aug 11, 2022
Today's DMR has 2 pages of articles saying how bad it is that CC isn't on the US Olympic squad. :puke:
I thought there were at least 4 pages of articles about her and how great she is and the millions of people world wide watching her bring WNBA back to life and women's basketball to the forefront. Got me to thinking I need to go buy several 22 number jerseys for the grandkids and me and plan an eight hour trip or more to see her play and spend thousands of dollars on tickets and food and gas etc. I must be the only one in the world who does not fall all over her. and channell 8 led of with her not making the team and then did several minutes during sports about it. so sad. good thing there was no other news in Iowa yesterday. Thats my rant. so tired of all the bs.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
There are many parents who do need to be told how to parent their children on various levels.

If it were not so, there would be no Child in Need of Assistance cases, no emergency removals, and no terminations of parental rights. So don't try to claim that parents have an absolute right to parent their children however they happen to see fit. That sort of unlimited right does not exist even though certain politicians try to state it as such.

That said, I don't think that trying to indoctrinate your child to be a CC Haydenist is grounds for any sort of intervention by society.

EDIT: To the cowardly @mynameisjonas, tell me what is inaccurate about the statement above. Then you can go back to your usual drivel complaining about meteorologists.
When did I claim that? Lol.

But you trying to equate a dad watching CC play basketball with his daughter to legit cases of a parent neglecting, abusing, abandoning, etc., their kid to the point of said kid needing to be removed from the home is, something. Well done.

Nothingman

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 31, 2006
There are many parents who do need to be told how to parent their children on various levels.

If it were not so, there would be no Child in Need of Assistance cases, no emergency removals, and no terminations of parental rights. So don't try to claim that parents have an absolute right to parent their children however they happen to see fit. That sort of unlimited right does not exist even though certain politicians try to state it as such.

That said, I don't think that trying to indoctrinate your child to be a CC Haydenist is grounds for any sort of intervention by society.

EDIT: To the cowardly @mynameisjonas, tell me what is inaccurate about the statement above. Then you can go back to your usual drivel complaining about meteorologists.
Rivers would be very disappointed in him.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Shoot some of you folks got big mad about that last post. I didn’t pretend to be a coach but I could see similarities in her shooting ability and no defense with early Curry. (I’m not saying she is Curry). I would assume situational bball would find great use of someone being guarded 30’ from the basket to open the court for others. It pains me to say, but raw statistics say Tausari and Ionescu could be cut for her. It doesn’t feel right to cut those two because I like the history and Kobe narratives respectively for them. I also want to point out that statement is based on raw offensive statistics and not advanced or +/- metrics. And I’m not promoting her being the number 1 option or anything like that.

I think if she spent four years in an ISU jersey a lot of opinions would change. Look I don’t care for much of what she does outside of good shooting and I hate listening to skwak fans claim to be women’s bball fans but I think she brings a lot of opportunities to future female athletes that haven’t been there in the past. I think she brings enough on the court to justify her being on the team. And because of that, the women’s games would be guaranteed to be on TV and I could watch with my girls during the Olympics. So you can hate on my opinion all you want but they should put her on the team for the good of the exposure. The exposure she brings is not just for her benefit.

Also, I’m not making internet bets but who is betting against her being first alternate for any injuries.
TLDR

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
You're a ******* moron if you think I tried to equate the 2. Can you not read?

"That said, I don't think that trying to indoctrinate your child to be a CC Haydenist is grounds for any sort of intervention by society."

That statement makes it very clear I was not doing what you stupidly accused me of.

You are the moron making sloppy comments, not I. You implied that it is always wrong to tell someone how to parent his or her children. You made no qualifications. I did.
Lol, now who can't read?

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I'm not being sloppy. Putting a question mark at the end of a sentence does not remove the implications thereof. What did your stated question imply?

Are you " just asking questions" now in this wet fart of a thread?

I would have stopped several posts ago, but this truly is a spiderman thread and serves no purpose anyway.
zZB8ec.gif

Help Support Us

Become a patron