Time for a Real Discussion About Caitlin Clark

• Presidential Race Discussion - Please make sure to keep all discussion within the "Politics Forum" in order to keep the main forums civil and politics-free.
    You can opt-in to the Political Forum in your user settings - note that the change may take up to 2 hours to process.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
That’s not how it works. Isiah Thomas was one of the top 12 players in the world in ‘92 but as it’s been well noted, players (specifically one player) wanted nothing to do with playing with him. I’m not saying that’s what happened here, but let’s not pretend it’s always based only on skill.

Haliburton is a better fit than Brunson on us mens team because one is a primary facilitator and the other puts up massive # of shots dominating the ball. Their full season PER is identical.

Everybody can’t be hoisting shots on teams like that.

Reactions: SolterraCyclone

CHim

Apr 20, 2006
It is stupid for them to leave her off. She has shown she can play high level ball and put her on a good team and they can’t throw junk defenses out to stop her. She has definite basketball value for the team.

But the marketing alone should put here there. You can disagree or not but the whole league is going to benefit from her being in the gold medal game. It would introduce fans to more great players across the league. A rising tide lifts all ships. Short sighted thinking on the part of whoever manages that.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
It is stupid for them to leave her off. She has shown she can play high level ball and put her on a good team and they can’t throw junk defenses out to stop her. She has definite basketball value for the team.

But the marketing alone should put here there. You can disagree or not but the whole league is going to benefit from her being in the gold medal game. It would introduce fans to more great players across the league. A rising tide lifts all ships. Short sighted thinking on the part of whoever manages that.

Is it impossible the coach wants to win and said “let’s see her defense, fg% and turnover rate for ten games”?

That’s not wild at all.

If the coach didn’t want her to get heavy minutes you Clark nuts would create the biggest spectacle in sports history. Keeping her on bench would be far worse end result.

Last edited:

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb

So as an expert on coaching a team who would you leave off the selected players to make room for her? The goal is to win the GOLD medal not be a marketing promo.

PS update as of 6/10 still no response but I really did not expect one as the most cult members no nothing about the WNBA

Last edited:

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
So as an expert on coaching a team who would you leave off the selected players to make room for her? The goal is to win the GOLD medal not be a marketing promo.

Let’s all admit these rabid CC fans would absolutely freak out if she was at the end of the bench too.

On the flip side I’m excited to see the second unit pure point guard Cyclone on the men’s Olympic team and when he only plays 10-15 minutes a game I won’t freak out like it’s a world tragedy.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Gonzo…. Ur such a giant cc apologist you can’t see the truth?? She is not well liked by other players in the league, she is whinny, mouthy, gives countless cheap shots, complains about her teammates, ohhhh but she makes long 3 pt shots so she’s great. It’s all you crap crazy Sukeyes that keep blowing the horn for her.
Now, leave OUR CYCLONE site …. We don’t need or want any of you here. Take Jonas and the others with you!
Ok you need to be a little more clear and direct here, I'm getting mixed signals.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
Especially considering how horrific CC defense is

Reactions: GT25Ump

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
I understand the sentiment and don’t entirely disagree. But she is, right now, the future of the WNBA (along with several others). Why not get her that international experience now? She can clearly play. And the USA women will win a gold medal basically no matter what.

I disagree that eyeballs will be the same without her. You have a chance to continue to put your foot on the gas to accelerate women’s basketball. By leaving her off, it’s a missed opportunity in my opinion.

And I’m not a CC fan (not a hater either).
The object of the Olympics is to win gold. If the coaches don’t think she can help them win it all, she can improve enough to make the national team next time.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Really funny that all anyone wants to talk about is Caitlin Clark, but the Liberty-Sun has been one hell of a game. Probably the two best teams in the league.

• Haha
Reactions: cyclone13

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
That’s not how it works. Isiah Thomas was one of the top 12 players in the world in ‘92 but as it’s been well noted, players (specifically one player) wanted nothing to do with playing with him. I’m not saying that’s what happened here, but let’s not pretend it’s always based only on skill.

After some bad runs in the late 2000’s USA basketball moved away from just doing super teams and actually started putting thought in from a team building perspective.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009

She doesn’t need anymore marketing or publicity right now.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
After some bad runs in the late 2000’s USA basketball moved away from just doing super teams and actually started putting thought in from a team building perspective.

Even the original Dream Team was forward- and center-heavy (and yes I know the 90s were oriented more around post play and less around guard play). They only had four "true" guards. Two of them were hurt much of the time (Clyde and Stockton) leaving only Magic and Jordan (at a de facto PG spot).

Your statement just reminded me how wonderful Haliburton is from a teambuilding perspective:

Need a pass-first PG who is going to get your guys good looks and rack up assists?

Yep, that's him.

Need a score-first PG who might go off for 40 in a half...? One of the best shooters in the game?

Yep, that's him, too!

Need a switchy and lanky 3&D defender who can guard 1-4 at least adequately?

Still him!

Reactions: VeloClone and NWICY

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Even the original Dream Team was forward- and center-heavy (and yes I know the 90s were oriented more around post play and less around guard play). They only had four "true" guards. Two of them were hurt much of the time (Clyde and Stockton) leaving only Magic and Jordan (at a de facto PG spot).

Your statement just reminded me how wonderful Haliburton is from a teambuilding perspective:

Need a pass-first PG who is going to get your guys good looks and rack up assists?

Yep, that's him.

Need a score-first PG who might go off for 40 in a half...? One of the best shooters in the game?

Yep, that's him, too!

Need a switchy and lanky 3&D defender who can guard 1-4 at least adequately?

Still him!

It’s not even really a hard job anymore because of the way the NBA has evolved. That era of USA basketball may have actually propelled the league forward and away from the Carmelo in his prime era.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
The object of the Olympics is to win gold. If the coaches don’t think she can help them win it all, she can improve enough to make the national team next time.
I think it's for the better that she's not on the roster. Obvious down side is this team will now get a fraction of the hype/attention, but CC has been running ragged since the start of last year's WBB season. Any kind of break she can get to rest and recover is a good thing. It'll also be good for the old guard on the roster not to have to take a back seat to CC in terms of media and fan attention, that would've been a big distraction for them.